Pointless Prize: Rescuing Food by Bike

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize: Rescuing Food by Bike

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    EvaReynolds
    Participant

I love this! And just to clarify, this rescue opportunity isn’t exclusive to Arlington. Food Rescue US – DC operates in Wards 1-8, Arlington, Fairfax, McLean, Reston, Alexandria, Bethesda, and Rockville.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

Where do you find Bethesda and Rockville? When I look at the Food Rescue locations, it shows only Anne Arundel, Howard, and PG in Maryland. I thought perhaps Bethesda and Rockville would be under DC. It would be rather easier to determine this if the filter were working, but it’s not–when I search for rescues within 5 miles of my house in Bethesda, it is showing me places in Crystal City and downtown DC, which are obviously not within 5 miles. However, when I clicked on several of them, it wasn’t showing any of them in Maryland. And when I try searching by donor and choose Trader Joe’s in Bethesda, Mom’s Organic Market, or Giant (which are the ones I could identify as being here), it shows no rescues available.

I’d be happy to help out if there are opportunities in my area, but I’m not finding them. @EvaReynolds 226695 wrote:

I love this! And just to clarify, this rescue opportunity isn’t exclusive to Arlington. Food Rescue US – DC operates in Wards 1-8, Arlington, Fairfax, McLean, Reston, Alexandria, Bethesda, and Rockville.

CBGanimal
    Participant

@Henry 226643 wrote:

Agreed, for the sake of the pointless prize, we’ll allow multiple runs of the same delivery, but only the parts when carrying food.

Henry

Thanks Henry and Eva, I wasn’t even thinking for the pointless prize just worry that one day I’ll find out that I can’t carry everything I think I can carry.

Eva or Henry, I’d like to try more than just the bikable ones since there are so few of them…do you think I can try the small sedan rescues?
    Henry have you tried doing any of those?

Thanks Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EvaReynolds
    Participant

@cvcalhoun Bethesda and Rockville are part of DC, but the distance filter is confusing because it refers to the distance between pick-up and drop-off — not from your house. We’ve asked our tech team to create filters by zipcode and/or state to make it easier for our VA and MD rescuers to stay close to home. Most Food Rescue US sites don’t have to worry about a tri-state area, but we in DC are special :p

Levain Bakery Bethesda and Vegetable + Butcher (if you can handle bulk, 175lbs) would be two to look out for — they’re “adopted” which means the same volunteer covers them every week, but sometimes they will “release” the rescue if they’re going to be out of town. We’re happy to expand in Bethesda, so feel free to email me (eva@foodrescue.us) if there are any local businesses you’d like me to approach about donating! (Corporate chains are OK but many have exclusive contracts with Feeding America)

EvaReynolds
    Participant

@Chris feel free to email me (eva@foodrescue.us) if there are certain rescues you’re eyeing, and I can tell you how they package their donations and roughly what weight you can expect. For instance, many small sedan rescues involve sheet pans of prepared food, so you would need a cart or something to stabilize them + accommodate the weight.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

Okay, I sent you an e-mail. @EvaReynolds 226713 wrote:

@cvcalhoun Bethesda and Rockville are part of DC, but the distance filter is confusing because it refers to the distance between pick-up and drop-off — not from your house. We’ve asked our tech team to create filters by zipcode and/or state to make it easier for our VA and MD rescuers to stay close to home. Most Food Rescue US sites don’t have to worry about a tri-state area, but we in DC are special :p

Levain Bakery Bethesda and Vegetable + Butcher (if you can handle bulk, 175lbs) would be two to look out for — they’re “adopted” which means the same volunteer covers them every week, but sometimes they will “release” the rescue if they’re going to be out of town. We’re happy to expand in Bethesda, so feel free to email me (eva@foodrescue.us) if there are any local businesses you’d like me to approach about donating! (Corporate chains are OK but many have exclusive contracts with Feeding America)

CBGanimal
    Participant

I have 4 rescues under my belt now and I’m very impressed with the app and the ease of doing the bikeable rescues! Big Bear even offered me a cup of coffee to go today (at barely 40 degrees)!!! Eva thanks for your guidance!

Nadine
    Participant

Nadine
    Participant

@CBGanimal 226780 wrote:

I have 4 rescues under my belt now and I’m very impressed with the app and the ease of doing the bikeable rescues! Big Bear even offered me a cup of coffee to go today (at barely 40 degrees)!!! Eva thanks for your guidance!

Wow this looks really impressive. I hope I can figure out how to do it. (I guess if I get overwhelmed I know why to ask for guidance, [emoji38]
    What a great idea, Henry.

sktrMarti
    Participant

Hello everyone! Filtering on Unclaimed, Compact Sedan and then “bike” in the Food Rescue app helped me. I’m going to try next Friday I picked a bakery w/a short distance to the drop off in case I need multiple trips. Doing the Strava tagging will be my next challenge.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

It looks like there is only one bikeable rescue in my area, and it is permanently adopted by someone else. However, apparently that person is unavailable on Saturday, so I claimed it. Wish me luck with a 17-mile (one-way) rescue that won’t even count for Freezing Saddles!

sktrMarti
    Participant

Hi Chris! Your Strava feed shows a rescue “load” w/I think a set of panniers and rear rack. My bike will take either a w/softsided rack bag or a milk crate. Plus I could bring an empty back pack. My rescue donor is Tatte City Center (bakery type place). Hopefully I can load it all in one trip.

CBGanimal
    Participant

@sktrMarti 226863 wrote:

Hi Chris! Your Strava feed shows a rescue “load” w/I think a set of panniers and rear rack. My bike will take either a w/softsided rack bag or a milk crate. Plus I could bring an empty back pack. My rescue donor is Tatte City Center (bakery type place). Hopefully I can load it all in one trip.

Hi back Marti, Ihope your set up worked) I use my panniers in two ways..one to fill up with baked goods…but when i pick up pizzas then I use the panniers as a good base.
    Im outta town till the new year but will be back on this as soon as I get back!

cvcalhoun
    Participant

I did my first rescue today. It got shortened from a 17-mile ride to a 3-mile ride when it turned out the organization originally intended as the recipient was going to be closed. But they still looked startled at both pick-up and drop-off when they saw my vehicle.

Not sure this one should be marked as “bikeable,” if you were using just a bike. But with a combination of a trailer and a cooler that fit into my rear basket, I made it. 4e78c5ab728daf8920fb2ba0fba64f9f.jpg

kwarkentien
    Participant

I’ve done several rescues pre-BAFS and think this is a great program. Might I suggest a small change for the Challenge? Instead of mileage, how about we tag the ride where we did a rescue with #foodrescue and then just tally the total number of rescues completed? If you did more than one rescue (not several trips for the same rescue), then mark it with an “x2” (or whatever number of rescues conducted) at the end of the hashtag. This will be easier than having to do multiple “rides” to separate out food rescue miles. [mention]Henry [/mention] , what do you think about this modification?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.