Pointless Prize: Golden Spike award

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize: Golden Spike award

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 241 total)
  • Author
    cvcalhoun
    Participant

1/9/24 Farragut West Station

DCAKen
    Participant

1/10/24 Shaw metro station

consularrider
    Participant

#goldenspike – 01/10/2024 – King St-Old Town Metro Station, Blue and Yellow lines

bikesnick
    Participant

1/10/2024 – ride from McLean to Innovation Center (Silver line)

start of ride

on the train

end of ride

CaseyKane50
    Participant

1/10/2024 Metro Van Dorn Station

sszibler
    Participant
    1. Navy Yard Station 1/10/24 golden spike

Navy Yard Station. Sorry, this was supposed to be 1/10/2024, but as I was searching for my Tracer2 vest I must not have started the watch in a panic until a few seconds after midnight. I’ll leave it up to your discretion. Or maybe in the case of a tie-breaker? So there will appear to be 2 on 1/11/24.

sszibler
    Participant

Crystal City VRE 1/11/24 goldenspike Crystal City VRE The last time I rode it they asked you use a bungie cord to hold the bike. Maybe I’ll go on ride down to Fredericksburg one of these weekends and take the new Nice Bridge to MD.

Oops! Forgot the stupid train doesn’t run on weekends and I’m not sure if you’re allowed to use the bridge “features” on Friday. What a bunch of crap. The time when you’d actually want to use the train for biking, it’s not available. Perhaps Amtrak is available, but it’s going to be $$ and you have to pay extra for the bike.

arlcxrider
    Participant

VRE, unlike Amtrak and MARC, does not have dedicated bike racks. That said, I’ve not been hassled for not having a “bungee.”

Last time I checked it was a flat fee of $20 each way on Amtrak for bikes, and must be reserved at the same time you purchase the ticket.  Almost as much as the rail fare. I have been toying with the idea of an Amtrak round-trip to Culpeper. The schedule gives you plenty of time to bang out at least a metric and then enjoy a nice meal before catching the evening train. A lot of nice, scenic routes around Culpeper.

Another thing I’ve been thinking about. On the MARC Brunswick line there is an early “getaway” train that runs Fridays only. Departs Union Station at 1:30. Ride to Dickerson, Point of Rocks, Brunswick, or similar get in a good ride back to DC. Would require playing hooky for a half-day. Doable in complete daylight in a few weeks, and especially after the time change in March.

consularrider
    Participant

#goldenspike – 01/11/2024 – West Falls Church – VT/UVA Metro, Orange Line

CaseyKane50
    Participant

1/11/2024 Metro Navy Yard Ballpark Station

DCAKen
    Participant

1/11/24 Silver Spring metro station to Union Station metro station

shwong5
    Participant

1/11/2024 McPherson to Ballston GMU

LeftyLaura
    Participant

1/11/2024, first Golden Spike let me see if I get it: trip Reston Town Center to East Falls Church with bike. Am I supposed to have pictures of both stations? I forgot East Falls Church. I’m a slow learner & this is an expensive pointless prize because of the ride, but I do love to ride with the senior pass.

arlcxrider
    Participant

Yes, you need both the start and end points to qualify for three points. Station sign with your bike.

DCAKen
    Participant

1/12/24 Brookland metro station

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 241 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.