Pointless: Kid leaderboard

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless: Kid leaderboard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    jrenaut
    Participant

I’m not sure to what end, yet, but I’ve been thinking about how to get kids involved without making everyone buy their kid a GPS and creating a Strava account that probably violates federal data collection laws.

So we already have the #withkid hashtag for when you ride with your kid and the kid is on his/her own bike. This year, pick a codename for your kid – whatever you want to show up on the leaderboard. This is all public, so if you don’t want to use your kids’ real name, that’s totally understandable. Just be consistent. My kids, for example, will be under their social media codenames of GREMLIN1 and GREMLIN2.

Then you just cram the name onto the hashtag, so #withkidgremlin1 or #withkidgremlin2. If you rode with more than one kid, use more than one hashtag.

LhasaCM
    Participant

So sticking with social media conventions, I’ll use #withkidM in the event I can ever get her to ride her own bike…

SamDenes
    Participant

As one of “those” people, do dogs count? Commuting with dog in backpack, recreational mountain biking with dog running (asking for a friend for trails that don’t allow off-leash dogs).

KWL
    Participant

My mind skipped over the colon in the thread title.

Steve O
    Participant

Even though it would never apply to me, I think #kidical and #withkid should be worth at least double points for Freezing Saddles. Seriously. Riding in the cold and dark is a bit of a challenge itself, but it’s got to be easily twice as hard to get your kids to do it, too.

jrenaut
    Participant

@SamDenes 183481 wrote:

As one of “those” people, do dogs count? Commuting with dog in backpack, recreational mountain biking with dog running (asking for a friend for trails that don’t allow off-leash dogs).

If your dog is riding his or her own bike, yes, it counts

LhasaCM
    Participant

@SamDenes 183481 wrote:

Expanding on Jon’s response: what counts/doesn’t count is at the discretion of the Pointless Prize awarder. As always, folks are free to propose their own Pointless Prize (e.g., for #withdog or #withpet) as a separate thing if that is what they want to do.

@Steve O 183485 wrote:

Riding in the cold and dark is a bit of a challenge itself, but it’s got to be easily twice as hard to get your kids to do it, too.

Speaking for myself – #kidical is pretty easy for the regular commute, but it gets to be quite expensive for any other trips. (And Mom is getting quite upset at the continued proliferation of Legos in our house, so I need to start switching to a different type of bribe…after 12/20)

drevil
    Participant

@jrenaut 183487 wrote:

If your dog is riding his or her own bike, yes, it counts

Dogg points

88c67dc2c0ba58e6025c53e384594fa0.jpg

chuxtr
    Participant

@drevil 183491 wrote:

Dogg points

88c67dc2c0ba58e6025c53e384594fa0.jpg

Once again … Where is the Elite button???

jrenaut
    Participant

The Pointless Kid leaderboard is now live. Get out there and ride with your kids! Or someone else’s kids, so long as you have permission.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@jrenaut 184627 wrote:

The Pointless Kid leaderboard is now live. Get out there and ride with your kids! Or someone else’s kids, so long as you have permission.

Dang, I’m not allowed to steal kids for this? That takes all the fun out of it!

chuxtr
    Participant

@jrenaut 184627 wrote:

Is there an age limit on kids? I mean, what if you have adult children??? :)

LhasaCM
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 184658 wrote:

Dang, I’m not allowed to steal kids for this? That takes all the fun out of it!

We just have to say that for liability reasons.

@chuxtr 184659 wrote:

Is there an age limit on kids? I mean, what if you have adult children??? :)

For the “#withkid” standings that this expands upon, the age-limit is 14.

jrenaut
    Participant

@LhasaCM 184660 wrote:

We just have to say that for liability reasons.

For the “#withkid” standings that this expands upon, the age-limit is 14.

I think 14 is a good limit. If you have a 15-17 year old and want to make your case that it should count, BAFS is a democracy in some sense of the word.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jrenaut
    Participant

Wife just offered to take both of the kids on the longtail to the park where a furloughed fed friend is going to take them swimming. Gremlin2 says she wants to ride her own bike, Gremlin1 doesn’t.

“Good, then I’m going to have more points [on the Pointless Kid Leaderboard] than you.” — Gremlin2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.