Pit Stop Choice?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Rockford10
    Participant

Like many others, I picked a pit stop last year and then visited several others on BTWD. Besides the specific swag or general convenience of the Pit Stop one chooses to pick up her shirt and free water bottle, is there a reason to pick one official pit stop over another? Does the official selection send some sort of message to organizers?

My choice is between Tysons and Falls Church City. While I would like to promote bike commuting to Tysons, that’s been, in the past two years, a bit of a loser stop. On the other hand, I want to promote the bike (and non-car) infrastructure in Falls Church and that one has traditionally been my official stop.

Thoughts? I suspect neither choice will make much of a difference, but I’d like to at least try!

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@Rockford10 80735 wrote:

Like many others, I picked a pit stop last year and then visited several others on BTWD. Besides the specific swag or general convenience of the Pit Stop one chooses to pick up her shirt and free water bottle, is there a reason to pick one official pit stop over another? Does the official selection send some sort of message to organizers?

My choice is between Tysons and Falls Church City. While I would like to promote bike commuting to Tysons, that’s been, in the past two years, a bit of a loser stop. On the other hand, I want to promote the bike (and non-car) infrastructure in Falls Church and that one has traditionally been my official stop.

Thoughts? I suspect neither choice will make much of a difference, but I’d like to at least try!

It doesn’t really matter. The most important thing is that you register somewhere, so that you’re counted as a participant and so that you know where to get your t-shirt. That being said, it’s a point of pride for some pit stop organizers to have a high turnout numbers. Arlington has frequently had some of the most registrants at our stops, so that’s why I’d recommend you register at Rosslyn :-)

(FYI–last year Tysons had 83 registrants and Falls Church had 262.)

DismalScientist
    Participant

Since you can stop at any pit stop to get swag, my strategy would be to choose to register at a pit stop that is giving away a bicycle. Once you determine which do that, choose the pit stop that you think will have the least number of registrants to maximize your chance of winning. Then, just go to the stops with the best swag although you have to go to the stop for which you register to get the t-shirt if you want it.

Rockford10
    Participant

Done – I registered at Falls Church. Maybe I’ll make it out to Rosslyn, then Falls Church, Merrifield, Vienna, and Tysons this year? That’s going to take a while.

We’ve got enough bikes in the garage as it is, I don’t need to try and win a bicycle! Although, I could really use a bike with two inflated tires right now…

dkel
    Participant

@Rockford10 80861 wrote:

We’ve got enough bikes in the garage as it is, I don’t need to try and win a bicycle!

As your HUSBAND, I take issue with this post!! Ladies and gentlemen, if you’ve ever wondered about the validity of the n+1 vs. s-1 debate, HERE’S THE PROOF!!

dkel
    Participant

@dkel 80862 wrote:

As your HUSBAND, I take issue with this post!! Ladies and gentlemen, if you’ve ever wondered about the validity of the n+1 vs. s-1 debate, HERE’S THE PROOF!!

That sounded a little more harsh than humorous, I’m afraid. I should have added one of these: :) or one of these: :p. Instead, I’ll add one of these: :o.

(Love you, Rockford!)

cvcalhoun
    Participant

How do you figure out which ones are giving away bicycles, and/or which ones are likely to have the fewest registrants?

@DismalScientist 80739 wrote:

Since you can stop at any pit stop to get swag, my strategy would be to choose to register at a pit stop that is giving away a bicycle. Once you determine which do that, choose the pit stop that you think will have the least number of registrants to maximize your chance of winning. Then, just go to the stops with the best swag although you have to go to the stop for which you register to get the t-shirt if you want it.

Dickie
    Participant

If you two don’t stop bickering I’m gonna have to stop this car…. errr bike… and turn around :-)

Rod Smith
    Participant

I should support my local stop which has usually has good stuff to eat, but I decided to sign up for Greenbelt (the city) pitstop so I can get extra miles. :) Last year I almost made it out there when I joined Greenbelt (the venerated member) and his convoy as they crossed over the beltway. I rode a metric century that day, my longest trailer hauling day so far.

I don’t think there are any bike give aways on this side of the city. :confused:

rcannon100
    Participant

Giving away bicycle ~ but I think you have to be present at the pit stop at the time of the drawing to win????

Also, consider volunteering.

Rod Smith
    Participant

Hmm, that gives me an idea. I think I will volunteer to transport food or swag to a pitstop by bicycle trailer.

DismalScientist
    Participant

It looks like 6 bikes will be raffled independent of pit stop.

Last year, various bike shops hosted specific pit stops and raffled bikes at those specific stops. I think they may have been Rosslyn, Ballston and East Falls Church.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@DismalScientist 80994 wrote:

Last year, various bike shops hosted specific pit stops and raffled bikes at those specific stops. I think they may have been Rosslyn, Ballston and East Falls Church.

Last year, BikeArlington raffled off the bikes at Rosslyn, Ballston, and EFC. We won’t be doing that again this year as it didn’t seem to be that big of a draw in garnering registrants (and the misconception that it was the shops giving away the bikes). Also, the winners happened to already be committed bikers. This year we want to have more “medium” sized prizes to help spread the wealth.

chris_s
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 80995 wrote:

This year we want to have more “medium” sized prizes to help spread the wealth.

More socks!

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@chris_s 81017 wrote:

More socks!

We only have two versions–did you already wear holes in yours?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.