Pentagon "desire path"

Our Community Forums General Discussion Pentagon "desire path"

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    BTC_DC
    Participant

@Terpfan 117832 wrote:

The only downside is on the return route underneath 395 where there are so many potholes you would think the road wasn’t actually a road.

Agree completely. Whenever doing this route I always make sure to have my front light on to dodge the many craters, even middle of the day in broad daylight. Harrowing experience when in the darkness of the bridge otherwise. It is actually even worse in the summer since eyes are not adjusted for the dark when heading under the bridge.

Originally tried this as a snow route, but have found it equally useful in the summer to avoid all the traffic on MVT.

Terpfan
    Participant

@Birdstrike 117830 wrote:

Yeah, the 25 mph speed limit is usually vigorously enforced on BCD. I can verify from experience…:(

It’s also a great way to skip traffic on the GWMP when you’re driving. I don’t think a lot of people realize how to use the road, which perhaps is for the best.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

Major crash on 395 at Boundary Channel this morning, involving three vehicles.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/traffic/2015/06/12/interstate-395-crash-near-gw-parkway-injuries/71110528/

Elsewhere, two pedestrians were killed in car incidents in the greater DC area (DC and Gaithersburg) on Thursday.

Terpfan
    Participant

@PotomacCyclist 117947 wrote:

Major crash on 395 at Boundary Channel this morning, involving three vehicles.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/traffic/2015/06/12/interstate-395-crash-near-gw-parkway-injuries/71110528/

Elsewhere, two pedestrians were killed in car incidents in the greater DC area (DC and Gaithersburg) on Thursday.

Yah, I was just mentioning the one on the ‘my evening commute’ thread. I literally rode through the intersection probably 10 minutes before it happened as it’s on my way home. Kind of surprising it’s a fatality since it’s a really speed limit there (25mph I think) and they have a speed camera nearby. But people on Calvert will run the red.

From what my coworker said, it was on Calvert right near Wisconsin. And one of those delivery-type trucks (he thought maybe Pea Pod) was there, which he presumed had hit the person.

Of course, as we all know, only cyclists are dangerous on DC roads….

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

Plus a taxi flipped over and off the road near National Airport and an SUV driver rear-ended a tractor-trailer in Ballston. All this happened in the past 24-36 hours.

http://www.arlnow.com/2015/06/12/suv-runs-into-forklift-on-back-of-truck-in-ballston/

http://www.arlnow.com/2015/06/12/photos-taxi-overturns-at-reagan-national-airport/

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

From the interchange meeting: MVT connection is a priority.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@lordofthemark 57085 wrote:

So in a fit of exploration, I attempted to ride up the “desire path” or “scofflaw trail” that connects the end of the side trail from the MVT just south of the humpback bridge, to Boundary Channel Drive by the Pentagon parking lot.

It was a few inches wide (I was worried about poison ivy from the encroaching vegetation – maybe this is better in winter?) relatively steep grade in parts, and sloped off to the right. I ended up walking my bike for most of it, and only got back on for the “good” part, the ride on the grass along Boundary Channel.

A. Who uses this? Mountain bikers looking for a quick adventure?

B. What is the point of the stub end paved trail? Was there at one point a plan to extend that to Boundary Channel? Is there still?

LOTM, your more than 10 year wait is almost over. As of Friday, the new trail connecting to the Mount Vernon Trail at the Humpback Bridge is nearly ready for you to ride.

0e08cd6d759ddffb898b94a89560c125.jpg

Path going towards Boundary Channel

f154852c5d095ef831dd5a95d5b32d15.jpg
    Path blocked northbound towards the MVT

9f69537159c88df3ab7584508cbb20fd.jpg
    Same barricade, but looking towards Boundary Channel

f071732ba4f04dcce9dcc5474cad7487.jpg

Exit before the Humpback Bridge on the MVT towards Boundary Channel

JustinW
    Participant

While I’m sad that the thrill factor takes a hit with the development of the rest of this trail, it is better to see this and acknowledge the path’s use. It sucks when “good trails go bad” by stopping inexplicably. Any presumed increase in traffic on that trail (once it opens) may upset the homeless folks that often camp near the trail currently.

huskerdont
    Participant

I wonder if they’ll remove the abandoned moped that’s been there for months? And the downed tree.

This was one unnamed old man’s nature break spot, but I will prefer the completed trail for sure.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@CaseyKane50 226142 wrote:

LOTM, your more than 10 year wait is almost over. As of Friday, the new trail connecting to the Mount Vernon Trail at the Humpback Bridge is nearly ready for you to ride.

0e08cd6d759ddffb898b94a89560c125.jpg

Path going towards Boundary Channel

f154852c5d095ef831dd5a95d5b32d15.jpg
    Path blocked northbound towards the MVT

9f69537159c88df3ab7584508cbb20fd.jpg
    Same barricade, but looking towards Boundary Channel

f071732ba4f04dcce9dcc5474cad7487.jpg

Exit before the Humpback Bridge on the MVT towards Boundary Channel

And this, my friends, is why all the posts on here need to be preserved forever, at least in some kind of archive.

Thanks for the pictures Casey. As is my approach to the i66 trail, I have enough places I have yet to explore, for new infra I will wait till its officially open (usually).

I do pass the end of this regularly and quite eager to see it used.

JustinW
    Participant

Well, it is *open enough* that you can test it out…… :) The new trail is extra wide, super smooth and really nice. It’ll be better when fences are down and dirt is replaced by grass, etc, but right now it is a lovely experience.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@lordofthemark 117441 wrote:

Actually the lead agency is DDOT, since the Long Bridge is actually in DC, though I expect most public dollars will be federal (not sure if CSX will be pitching in anything) The street car connection is dead, I think – they could reserve a transit only lane for buses or they could add general travel lanes, or just save money and make it railroad plus bike/ped only.

While we are necromancing this thread, interesting that this last idea is what is actually to be implemented. But I was wrong about the lead agency, it’s the Virginia Passenger Rail Authority.

arlcxrider
    Participant

DDOT was the lead agency, but no longer. (They slow-walked it for nine years through the DEIS process.)

chris_s
    Participant

@lordofthemark 226154 wrote:

While we are necromancing this thread, interesting that this last idea is what is actually to be implemented. But I was wrong about the lead agency, it’s the Virginia Passenger Rail Authority.

In your defense, VPRA didn’t exist in 2015 :)

Judd
    Participant

@huskerdont 226144 wrote:

I wonder if they’ll remove the abandoned moped that’s been there for months? And the downed tree.

This was one unnamed old man’s nature break spot, but I will prefer the completed trail for sure.

Moped and tree are gone. NPS cleared out a massive amount of honeysuckle overgrowing the trail this summer. They even managed to back a chipper shredder down the trail and through the tunnel. The trail edge has some debris that needs to be removed and a couple of bumps and there’s some regrowth of the honeysuckle to cut again.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.