Oct 2022 Street and Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Oct 2022 Street and Trail Conditions

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    ChristoB50
    Participant

What a difference a pave makes!
    I’ve been LOVING the commute this week, riding on the newly milled & repaved stretch of trail running through Barcroft Park, connecting S George Mason and S Walter Reed. Monday I couldn’t enter during the morning, and on the return trip a lot was still raw-milled. But by Tuesday afternoon it was all repaved… It is pure surface bliss on that wooded stretch now; I can free up the mental space formerly dedicated to remembering each root-bulge and where best to position my wheels to minimize them.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@peterw_diy 220276 wrote:

Alexandria: Holmes Run Trail is closed at the Telegraph Road underpass where crews are replacing large sections of the concrete. I expect this will likely be passable in as couple days but right now it’s not.

The concrete work on the HRT is completed.
    4611b319e45e23b69aeba5bfb2fa540a.jpg
    3118f935ea78848af7b99de4fdb9541f.jpg
    002b738633edb9950242184f0a591d3c.jpg

DrP
    Participant

S Joyce street between Army-Navy Drive and Columbia Pike has been re-routed (temporarily, I presume) as part of the Columbia Pike construction. For cars there is one lane in each direction in what were the two northbound lanes (i.e., from Army-Navy Dr to Columbia Pike) plus a new area where it crosses where the sidewalk was. There is a wide, paved trail to the side for pedestrians and cyclists where they moved the road over what was the sidewalk.
    There is an issue at the Columbia Pike end in that the curb cut is far over onto Columbia Pike, the Joyce drivers cannot see you and trying to get a walk signal takes forever (I always took the sidewalk on the other side of Joyce to avoid this corner – it is horrible).

Is there a way to, at least, get the walk signal to automatically turn (i.e., without pushing the button) so there is some hope of crossing and not being killed?

Steve O
    Participant

@DrP 220393 wrote:

S Joyce street between Army-Navy Drive and Columbia Pike has been re-routed (temporarily, I presume) as part of the Columbia Pike construction. For cars there is one lane in each direction in what were the two northbound lanes (i.e., from Army-Navy Dr to Columbia Pike) plus a new area where it crosses where the sidewalk was. There is a wide, paved trail to the side for pedestrians and cyclists where they moved the road over what was the sidewalk.
    There is an issue at the Columbia Pike end in that the curb cut is far over onto Columbia Pike, the Joyce drivers cannot see you and trying to get a walk signal takes forever (I always took the sidewalk on the other side of Joyce to avoid this corner – it is horrible).

Is there a way to, at least, get the walk signal to automatically turn (i.e., without pushing the button) so there is some hope of crossing and not being killed?

I have been in touch with Arlington about this entire project, which suffers from other Maintenance of Traffic problems, too. Particularly that there is no clear indications about where people not driving cars are supposed to travel. And very particularly, seemingly no safe way for those who need mobility assist devices to transit through.

Feel free to contact Erin Potter at epotter@arlingtonva.us. She has agreed to get these issues to the right people.

huskerdont
    Participant

Someone had posted about the 41st St S-turn having water lines going over it–sorry, can’t find it now. Before, the gate had been opened so you could just ride straight up the hill, but someone has closed the gate and ziptied it. This is annoying and unsafe because now you have to ride over the water lines. This was fine on a gravel bike and would be on a mountain bike as well, but I think it would be sketchy on a road bike. Serious need for some lumberjacking here, but alas was heading down for a run on the towpath and was not equipped with scissors or wire cutters.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.