Oct 2022 Street and Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Oct 2022 Street and Trail Conditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Henry
    Keymaster

Anyone know if this branch was cleared from the MVT from last week?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29131[/ATTACH]

DrP
    Participant

@Henry 220158 wrote:

Anyone know if this branch was cleared from the MVT from last week?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29131[/ATTACH]

It was still there Tuesday morning.

DrP
    Participant

@DrP 220159 wrote:

It was still there Tuesday morning.

As of Thursday morning commute (10/6) it is sort of clear. Southbound lane is clear aside from minor leaf litter – tree is gone. Northbound lane is full of vines and not clear that there isn’t part of a tree under there. Those heading north need to go in the other lane to get by.

Rootchopper
    Participant

I rode through there this afternoon and it looked cleared to me. Also, the downed tree blocking half the trail in Dyke Marsh was also cleared.

arlcxrider
    Participant

Zoo loop bridge over Rock Creek Park opens today at 3 pm. However, the daylight-only opening hours will be in effect for the Zoo Loop trail that bypasses the tunnel. Still have to use the preposterously narrow sidewalk (or take the lane..)[ATTACH=CONFIG]29132[/ATTACH]. :(

Smitty2k1
    Participant

@arlcxrider 220163 wrote:

Zoo loop bridge over Rock Creek Park opens today at 3 pm. However, the daylight-only opening hours will be in effect for the Zoo Loop trail that bypasses the tunnel. Still have to use the preposterously narrow sidewalk (or take the lane..)[ATTACH=CONFIG]29132[/ATTACH]. :(

According to the DCist article about the zoo bridge the Piney Branch spur is set to open mid-October. That’s great news but for some reason I thought the Piney Branch trail was going to take way longer. Any insight on that timeline anyone?
    https://dcist.com/story/22/10/07/rock-creek-park-trail-zoo-reopen/

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

DrP
    Participant

I rode through Rock Creek Park from the MD line to Memorial Bridge yesterday. For the first time in years there were no detours or the like along any of that route! By the mil the trail is complete and pleasant too (no need to go through the tiny parking lot at the north end). The new zoo trail is very nice with no feelings of potentially falling into the creek, and the bridge is wonderful. The tunnel through the Roosevelt bridge was nice too.

huberww
    Participant

This sign caught my eye as I was wrapping up a fine ride on the W&OD this afternoon …

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29137[/ATTACH]

huberww
    Participant

Utility work closes off the switchback at the top of the 41st Street hill bike path (above Chain Bridge, access to Glebe Road). The bike path remains passable, but you just cannot use the switchback portion and now have to go straight through where the gate usually closes off that passage. This will be tougher than usual to ride up and will test your braking power headed downhill. When leaves start dropping, traction may be lacking. Careful, folks!

It is not clear how long this condition might last. I’d guess that they are relining pipes so this may take a few weeks?

peterw_diy
    Participant

Alexandria: Holmes Run Trail is closed at the Telegraph Road underpass where crews are replacing large sections of the concrete. I expect this will likely be passable in as couple days but right now it’s not.

arlcxrider
    Participant

@peterw_diy 220276 wrote:

Alexandria: Holmes Run Trail is closed at the Telegraph Road underpass where crews are replacing large sections of the concrete. I expect this will likely be passable in as couple days but right now it’s not.

Where does the Holmes Run Trail pass under Telegraph Rd? Duke St or Eisenhower perhaps? Those are the only street/highway underpasses on the HRT.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

Actually, the current Holmes Run Trail closure is near the railroad and Metro underpasses. These are closest to the Eisenhower Avenue underpass.

In the first picture below, you can see a cyclist walking their bike on the right side of the trail. I also used this route to get around the closure.

In the second photo, a jogger with a stroller went around on the right side through the sand.

I talked to one of the contractors who said they hoped to pour concrete today.

The third photo shows some new concrete that looks close to rideable.

1f4afd6d4b65a5d1a8dbe83aeb1e9650.jpg
    60dd55fc3249d93146e94de9ace6e34a.jpg
    a4c7687840d7e7ce1d7301b98cd1ac38.jpg

peterw_diy
    Participant

@CaseyKane50 220280 wrote:

Actually, the current Holmes Run Trail closure is near the railroad and Metro underpasses. These are closest to the Eisenhower Avenue underpass.

Yes! Sorry!

@CaseyKane50 220280 wrote:

I talked to one of the contractors who said they hoped to pour concrete today.

They definitely were. Kudos to you for off-roading it — it didn’t look viable for my skinny tires and road cleats.

Do you know more about why they’re not bothering to change the profile of the trail? This is close to stream level and seems frequently be covered with silt that’s washed over the trail. Seems suboptimal to just rebuild the trail at the same level…

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@peterw_diy 220281 wrote:

Yes! Sorry!

They definitely were. Kudos to you for off-roading it — it didn’t look viable for my skinny tires and road cleats.

I walked my bike, it seemed the prudent thing to do. 😎

Do you know more about why they’re not bothering to change the profile of the trail? This is close to stream level and seems frequently be covered with silt that’s washed over the trail. Seems suboptimal to just rebuild the trail at the same level…

Agree, don’t know if the city had considered other solutions.

Smitty2k1
    Participant

Was watching local news over the lunch hour and they said Piney Branch Pkwy is reopening tomorrow, Oct 22, to vehicle traffic.

They did not mention, however, if the multi use trail will also be opening tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.