Missed connection

Our Community Forums General Discussion Missed connection

Viewing 15 posts - 4,321 through 4,335 (of 5,363 total)
  • Author
    ursus
    Participant

At about 11:30 this morning I was riding on the CCT from Bethesda to G’t’n. I was in the part between the water filtration facility (I think that is what it is) and the RR bridge over the C&O canal. That part is entirely downhill. The trail was quite crowded and I was having trouble getting by a jogger going in the same direction as I was. I had told her of my intention to pass as soon as I found an opening. When I finally did, a bike which must have been behind (Yes, I should have looked, but I was trying to find an opening) decides to pass me at the same time as I passed the jogger. Thankfully, there was no collision.

bentbike33
    Participant

@viennabiker 143719 wrote:

A couple months ago, I was riding eastbound on the W&OD in Reston when I saw a cyclist coming west with a very bright flashing headlight that was distracting from a distance and much worse than distracting close up. I said nothing but I did hold up a hand to shield my eyes as he passed–and as I did so, I heard him shout out “Wimp!” So I read your post with a touch of empathy for the rider you are terming a photophobe. Also for you–but let me get to the other guy first.

At least on the W&OD, I think I see an increasing number of riders using bright flashing lights in the daytime. I think that is unnecessary on a trail–it makes sense when riding with cars when you want to be seen at greater distances. But if you are going to use it during the day on a trail, I would hope that you would make sure it is pointed down and not flashing.

In your post, you don’t say whether it was flashing, but you do say it was pointed at seat level (you don’t say at what distance). Depending on the rider and distance–as well as the terrain (you say it was at Brandymore Castle where there is a sudden incline)–that could be quite close to eye level. I wasn’t there, so only you and the photophobic other rider could say for sure but it seems possible that if your light did not illuminate the trail when in a dark underpass, it actually was pointed higher up than you realized.

I have ridden into the morning sun many times in my life. I did not think by so doing I was giving license to other riders to shine lights in my face.

Even if you are being unfair to the other rider (and that is difficult to tell, but since you deride him–and I assume the other rider was male by the anatomical reference–three times in three sentences, my guard is up a little) I’m actually empathetic with you as well.

Here’s why: a few weeks ago, I was riding over the Key Bridge to Georgetown. I passed another rider who shouted out “Please call your passes!” I am very careful about such things, so I immediately responded “I did! Listen!” satisfying myself that the rider had spaced out. Then it hit me–I actually had not called this pass at all. It’s never nice to be shamed on your behavior and to be the target of a shout–and that’s what passing riders do to be heard–is startling. I don’t react in a very saintly way, even when I’m in the wrong.

So I don’t know if you were in the right or not, but I would suggest that you think for a moment whether that other rider was giving you information that your light is more problematic than you think.

And I would urge all riders to be careful to check that their lights point down–an uncontroversial point, I hope–and never to have it flash like a strobe when riding on a trail.

First thing I did when I got home and into a darkened room was check the aim of my light. It was exactly where it is supposed to be. My light is dynamo-powered and thus limited to only 6 volts, 3 watts power consumption (80 lumen max output v. > 2000 lumen for advanced battery-powered lights). It does not strobe. The beam is highly engineered to distribute the limited illumination capacity efficiently onto the road, like a car’s low-beams. The brightest part of the beam is at seat level at very close range (e.g., when I am on a cyclist’s wheel preparing to pass), and is lower the farther away is the oncoming rider, i.e., it is aimed downward. It did not noticeably illuminate the trail at the underpass because it was not dark out. As the oncoming rider in this case was descending the hill at Brandymore Castle, and I was ascending, it is unlikely he caught the bright part of the beam directly in the face unless it occurred for an instant while he was just cresting the hill. Had he been ascending while I was descending, I would have understood the reason he said something and not bothered to comment here.

Because my light is dynamo powered, I leave it on as a daytime running light on the streets and trails (not that it seems to help much in warding off riders with good sightlines intent on making bad passes, but that is another issue). As a regular bike commuter, I am passed daily by dozens of oncoming cyclists, joggers, dog-walkers, etc., and complaints about my light are so extremely rare as to be remarkable (more likely is a helpful daytime reminder that my light is on so as not to needlessly run down my nonexistent battery).

I find the thermonuclear strobes and nighttime-street-repaving-quality flood lights annoying too, but then I find the the people who black out their lights and dissappear as they approach to be unnerving as well. It’s life on the trails. Deal with it, and come to the forum to vent if need be.

Dickie
    Participant

@bentbike33 143659 wrote:

Was admonished by a photophobe for the brightness of my Dynamo-powered headlight just before 6:00pm today at Brandywine Castle on the W&OD. Granted it was cloudy, but my light did not noticeably illuminate the trail at the Sycamore Street underpass. This specimen either: (a) has a second set of eyeballs instead of testicles because the brightest part of my light shines at seat level, or (b) has developed excessive sensitivity to light by never having ridden into the morning sun his entire life.

Was trying to see if I’m the “specimen” missing “testicles” as I remember being blinded last week on my commute home but can’t remember the details or day. I was at the Castle on the 28th just before 5:00 not 6:00, and it doesn’t appear you posted that day’s ride (checked flyby’s) so I can’t be sure. Doubtful I would have complained about such a weak light, especially with a storm approaching like it was that day… but I’ve been known to complain before when blinded by a poorly aimed retina burning strobe light (obviously your’s doesn’t classify)… If it was me, apologies for being such a wimp.

bentbike33
    Participant

@Dickie 143740 wrote:

Was trying to see if I’m the “specimen” missing “testicles” as I remember being blinded last week on my commute home but can’t remember the details or day. I was at the Castle on the 28th just before 5:00 not 6:00, and it doesn’t appear you posted that day’s ride (checked flyby’s) so I can’t be sure. Doubtful I would have complained about such a weak light, especially with a storm approaching like it was that day… but I’ve been known to complain before when blinded by a poorly aimed retina burning strobe light (obviously your’s doesn’t classify)… If it was me, apologies for being such a wimp.

No, we did not cross paths at Brandymore Castle (no “Richards”, nor derivatives thereof, in my Flybys) on the 28th. If you were there before 5:00, you would have passed through before I even started my trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/656869840

Besides, anyone who could live to tell about a Freezing Saddles fall into a half-frozen ditch could never be a wimp. Coincidentally, I believe we actually crossed paths on that fateful day near Brandymore Castle. And although you looked miserable, you did not complain about my light.

viennabiker
    Participant

@bentbike33 143738 wrote:

First thing I did when I got home and into a darkened room was check the aim of my light. It was exactly where it is supposed to be. My light is dynamo-powered and thus limited to only 6 volts, 3 watts power consumption (80 lumen max output v. > 2000 lumen for advanced battery-powered lights). It does not strobe. The beam is highly engineered to distribute the limited illumination capacity efficiently onto the road, like a car’s low-beams. The brightest part of the beam is at seat level at very close range (e.g., when I am on a cyclist’s wheel preparing to pass), and is lower the farther away is the oncoming rider, i.e., it is aimed downward. It did not noticeably illuminate the trail at the underpass because it was not dark out. As the oncoming rider in this case was descending the hill at Brandywine Castle, and I was ascending, it is unlikely he caught the bright part of the beam directly in the face unless it occured for an instant while he was just cresting the hill. Had he been ascending while I was descending, I would have understood the reason he said something and not bothered to comment here.

Because my light is dynamo powered, I leave it on as a daytime running light on the streets and trails (not that it seems to help much in warding off riders with good sightlines intent on making bad passes, but that is another issue). As a regular bike commuter, I am passed daily by dozens of oncoming cyclists, joggers, dog-walkers, etc., and complaints about my light are so extremely rare as to be remarkable (more likely is a helpful daytime reminder that my light is on so as not to needlessly run down my nonexistent battery).

I find the thermonuclear strobes and nighttime-street-repaving-quality flood lights annoying too, but then I find the the people who black out their lights and dissappear as they approach to be unnerving as well. It’s life on the trails. Deal with it, and come to the forum to vent if need be.

Thanks very much for checking!

(I agree with you about the blackout–the intention behind it may be nice but the effect can be a little odd when an oncoming cyclist suddenly puts on an invisibility cloak. I point my light pretty far down with the intent–which I hope works–that I will be seen but not in a blinding way.)

Steve O
    Participant

@bentbike33 143738 wrote:

First thing I did when I got home and into a darkened room was check the aim of my light. It was exactly where it is supposed to be. My light is dynamo-powered and thus limited to only 6 volts, 3 watts power consumption (80 lumen max output v. > 2000 lumen for advanced battery-powered lights). It does not strobe. The beam is highly engineered to distribute the limited illumination capacity efficiently onto the road, like a car’s low-beams. The brightest part of the beam is at seat level at very close range (e.g., when I am on a cyclist’s wheel preparing to pass), and is lower the farther away is the oncoming rider, i.e., it is aimed downward. It did not noticeably illuminate the trail at the underpass because it was not dark out. As the oncoming rider in this case was descending the hill at Brandywine Castle, and I was ascending, it is unlikely he caught the bright part of the beam directly in the face unless it occured for an instant while he was just cresting the hill. Had he been ascending while I was descending, I would have understood the reason he said something and not bothered to comment here.

I have a similar dynamo light, although I don’t use it year round (I switch out my wheel in the summer). Like you, 99%+ oncoming riders say nothing. But I have had one rider yell at me on two separate occasions (not Dickie). I am attributing the problem to him, not me.

accordioneur
    Participant

Far be it from me to interrupt a conversation about shining flashing lights at each other’s testicles, but it’s *Brandymore* Castle.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@accordioneur 143760 wrote:

… shining flashing lights at each other’s testicles…

b8f52e9f515784bf51da91c4c83733c7.png

VA2DC
    Participant

You: Jogger ahead of me on the MUP by the 110 ramp at Arlington Cemetery, running uphill toward Memorial Ave.

Me: Approaching from behind, “ding ding, ding ding.”

You: Oblivious.

Me: “Passing on your left! Ding ding.”

You: Oblivious.

Me: Passing you on the left, as previously announced by bell and voice.

You: Startled to see me on your left, “Jesus Christ!”

Me: If you don’t want to be surprised, you shouldn’t be using earbuds in both ears!

Steve O
    Participant

Me: Approaching Columbia Pike on the W&OD on my way to CCCC
    You: Two joggers, one with double stroller, ahead of me going my way
    Me: Ding
    Double-stroller lady: !!!! Total no-look Crazy Ivan !!!
    Me: “AAAGHGGHGH! Crazy Ivan!!! Don’t do that!!” (and swerve). I actually yelled “Crazy Ivan!” which I’m sure sounded pretty odd.
    Stroller lady: “sorry”

The other jogger lady went on, so although it looked like they were together, I guess they weren’t.

bentbike33
    Participant

@Steve O 143786 wrote:

Always ring at least twice in quick sequence in case they have the “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me” podcast on the earbuds. Bill Curtis only rings once for a correct answer.

AFHokie
    Participant

Not sure if this is a missed or found connection: https://storify.com/arlnowdotcom/road-rage-on-the-mt-vernon-trail#publicize

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

dasgeh
    Participant

@AFHokie 143788 wrote:

Not sure if this is a missed or found connection: https://storify.com/arlnowdotcom/road-rage-on-the-mt-vernon-trail#publicize

WHOA – ArlNow just linked to PAL….

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@dasgeh 143794 wrote:

WHOA – ArlNow just linked to PAL….

BikeArlington has decided to disband. Our work here is done. See you on the trails!

Steve O
    Participant

Me: approaching Columbia Pike on the W&OD on my way to CCCC
    You: two female joggers, one with a double stroller, ahead of me going my way
    Double-stroller lady: !!!! Total no-look Crazy Ivan !!!!
    Me: “AAAAGHGHGHH!! Crazy Ivan! Don’t do that!” (swerve). Yes, I actually yelled, “Crazy Ivan,” which probably sounded pretty odd.
    DSL: “sorry”
    Other jogger: continued on (I guess they weren’t together as I had assumed when I first saw them.)

Viewing 15 posts - 4,321 through 4,335 (of 5,363 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.