July 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions July 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Henry
    Keymaster

New Month; New Thread

bentbike33
    Participant

There is some kind of work underway on the Carlin Springs Rd. bridge over the W&OD/Four Mile Run. W&OD Trail width is reduced to just over one lane. I don’t recall any signage warning about the situation, but I may have been paying more attention to other trail users in the area this morning.

accordioneur
    Participant

@bentbike33 219561 wrote:

There is some kind of work underway on the Carlin Springs Rd. bridge over the W&OD/Four Mile Run. W&OD Trail width is reduced to just over one lane. I don’t recall any signage warning about the situation, but I may have been paying more attention to other trail users in the area this morning.

Today when I rode through at 6:30 AM the barriers narrowing the trail were there, as they have been for some time – but, as usual, no sign of any work going on. When I rode back about 90 minutes later, they had traffic cones out on both sides of the underpass partly blocking the trail to slow riders, as well as new signage – but still no visible evidence of anyone doing any work.

Henry
    Keymaster

I am told the cones are for work being done on the underside of the bridge. Will try to get more details.

As always, please use caution.

Henry

Hancockbs
    Participant

If I’m not mistaken, the barriers now cover more of the west bound lane than they used to.

Sunyata
    Participant

I went through there this morning around 7 and it was pretty sketchy with how narrow that westbound lane is. Terrible sightlines as it was, and now it is even worse because anyone coming west is going to be at least half in the eastbound lane.

Henry
    Keymaster

Confirmed it’s bridge work, but don’t have a schedule. Trail is narrow and the turn is blind. SLOW DOWN and use caution.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29072[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29073[/ATTACH]

Judd
    Participant

Massive mud field on Four Mile Run Trail near the switchback to Potomac Yard where the excavation work is occurring. Several inches deep and as slick as potter’s clay.

Couple of mud spots on the Crystal City Connector at both ends of the tunnel as well as in the underpass.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@Judd 219571 wrote:

Massive mud field on Four Mile Run Trail near the switchback to Potomac Yard where the excavation work is occurring. Several inches deep and as slick as potter’s clay.

Couple of mud spots on the Crystal City Connector at both ends of the tunnel as well as in the underpass.

As of 10 am, there was a narrow track through the mud.

47758f5113a75841e16864a3c40d08a1.jpg

Judd
    Participant

@CaseyKane50 219573 wrote:

As of 10 am, there was a narrow track through the mud.

47758f5113a75841e16864a3c40d08a1.jpg

Cleaned up when I went through this morning at 10:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hancockbs
    Participant

Capital Crescent Trail report: lots of small debris from the storm, but nothing you can’t ride over. Several sand/mud/gravel washes crossing the trail. Several low hanging ‘duckable” branches.

chris_s
    Participant

Beware this sudden, unsigned bike lane closure at the bottom of the hill, around the blind curve on Shirlington Road (already reported to the County). Props to the ART Bus Driver next to me who was clearly alert to the problem I was facing and ready to let me merge into the travel lane.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29075[/ATTACH]

consularrider
    Participant

Seems like everywhere I want to ride Arlington is milling and repaving (not that that in itself is a bad thing …). This morning’s pleasure was the repaving on N Cameron St from Langston Blvd south. They had also closed off 22nd St N at N Dinwiddie making access to Heidleberg Pastry Shoppe problematic. Flagger wouldn’t let me through even though there was no active work on the block of 22nd. Der Seufzer

chris_s
    Participant

The Four Mile Run Trail detour for the Dominion Substation project (while they build the boardwalk) looks just about ready to go (temp PBL on Glebe, expanded Route 1 sidewalk). I had no problem navigating it on the box bike. The closure hasn’t actually begun yet, was estimated as July 25th last I saw.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29077[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29076[/ATTACH]

arlrider
    Participant

@consularrider 219608 wrote:

They had also closed off 22nd St N at N Dinwiddie making access to Heidleberg Pastry Shoppe problematic

Ah, yes, as opposed to the normally clear, straightforward, and safe approach to the entrance to Heidelberg…one of my favorite parking lots in the County…NOT. Hehe, I’ll see myself out now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.