Is the freedom plaza stop worth going to?

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2015 Is the freedom plaza stop worth going to?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    rcannon100
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 115778 wrote:

We got our shipment of swag from Trek/Bontrager in yesterday! It came in about 17 boxes…

BA is, er, cough, um…. supporting the Shirlington stop too, right???????

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@rcannon100 115780 wrote:

BA is, er, cough, um…. supporting the Shirlington stop too, right???????

Yes.

Emm
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 115778 wrote:

We got our shipment of swag from Trek/Bontrager in yesterday! It came in about 17 boxes…

hmm, maybe I re-route and do del ray, crystal city, rosslyn to work (SW DC) since I am more focused on the swag side of things. If I take my road bike, this is do-able, esp if I just give up and admit I’ll be 15-20 min late to work. If I leave home by 6:30 this is totally a possibility.

KLizotte
    Participant

A friend just sent me this:

Original Message

From: pressrelease-request@wmata-ealert.lists-wmata.com EMAIL=”pressrelease-request@wmata-ealert.lists-wmata.com”]mailto:pressrelease-request@wmata-ealert.lists-wmata.com[/EMAIL On Behalf Of Metro News
    Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2015 11:33 AM
    To: Metro News
    Subject: Metro to support Bike to Work day with multiple “pitstop” events, free U-locks

Bike to Work Day is tomorrow — a day when Metro joins Commuter Connections, the Washington Area Bicyclist Association and more than 13,000 commuters for a celebration of bicycling as a clean, fun and healthy way to get to work.

This year, Metro will host Bike to Work Day pit stops at Fort Totten, College Park and East Falls Church stations. Riders can stop by the pit stop during the morning at Fort Totten or East Falls Church, or during the evening commute at College Park-U of Md. for free t-shirts and other giveaways, maps, safety tips and a bus bike rack demonstration.

In addition, Metro Transit Police will be at the pitstops, along with King Street and Braddock Road stations, to distribute free U-locks to cyclists who register their bikes. To sign up, or for more information on these and other pit stops, visit biketoworkmetrodc.org.

For more information, please see the news release:
    http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=5925

lordofthemark
    Participant

As much as I love swag, since this will be my first multiple pit stop BTWD, and I will be my usual not fast self on my hybrid, I will stick to the three pit stops that are along my route – Shirlington, Crystal City (for the jersey) and Canal Park (where I am registered, and for the picture with the Secretary, of course) Rosslyn sounds great – maybe next year.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@Emm 115782 wrote:

hmm, maybe I re-route and do del ray, crystal city, rosslyn to work (SW DC) since I am more focused on the swag side of things. If I take my road bike, this is do-able, esp if I just give up and admit I’ll be 15-20 min late to work. If I leave home by 6:30 this is totally a possibility.

You don’t have to be late for work, just start earlier – the Del Ray pit stop opens at 6 am. :)

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@CaseyKane50 115791 wrote:

You don’t have to be late for work, just start earlier – the Del Ray pit stop opens at 6 am. :)

And yet again, I’m jealous of Virginia. The only stop in the Bethesda area that opens that early is Naval Support Activity Bethesda. And it requires a security screening, so I suspect that what I gained by going early would be offset by it taking a lot of time to get in and out.

mstone
    Participant

I usually leave for work before 6am :(

PeteD
    Participant

Hrm, wonder how many I can ride thru tomorrow on my way to “work”…

Raymo853
    Participant

@Mikey 115741 wrote:

The swag there is not as good as Rosslyn or even Crystal City. If you are really interested in tri-fold pamphlets extolling the benefits of tap water then I’d say go for it. If you want something of actual value I think you might be disappointed by freedom plaza.

Ouch. How about I be sugary and say “all the stops will be a great since you will meet cool people and solidify your resolve to commute by bike more.”

Raymo853
    Participant

Hmm, you may get me to skip the Shirleton one and head there.

baiskeli
    Participant

@Mikey 115741 wrote:

The swag there is not as good as Rosslyn or even Crystal City. If you are really interested in tri-fold pamphlets extolling the benefits of tap water then I’d say go for it. If you want something of actual value I think you might be disappointed by freedom plaza.

I got an awesome squeeze water bottle at the Plaza once. And AAA sometimes has a booth there – it’s fun to watch that unfold.

KWL
    Participant

@baiskeli 115814 wrote:

I got an awesome squeeze water bottle at the Plaza once. And AAA sometimes has a booth there – it’s fun to watch that unfold.

I registered for a Metro bike pass there once. Remember those?

Steve O
    Participant

@KWL 115848 wrote:

I had one. I went to WMATA HQ to get mine.

baiskeli
    Participant

@KWL 115848 wrote:

I still have mine somewhere around the house. What an awful photo.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.