Is the freedom plaza stop worth going to?

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2015 Is the freedom plaza stop worth going to?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Emm
    Participant

Question–I am registered at the Crystal City pit stop, and also plan to stop by the Del Ray pit stop on my way there.

Is the Freedom Plaza pit stop also worth stopping by? Last year the reviews were meh, but my neighbor claims it’s his favorite one. It’s a mile out of my way to work, but still totally do-able. I’m just iffy based off of last year’s reviews, although I know they may have been impacted by the awful weather.

jrenaut
    Participant

I think it’s worth going. The Mayor might be there, and she’s sure to give a really patronizing speech about her dedication to safe cycling infrastructure. From behind the podium where she’ll speak, she’ll be able to see the spot on PA Ave where I was hit by a cabbie making a u-turn. It’s one of the blocks that, after all these years, still doesn’t have anything but paint surrounding the cycletracks.

And the weather last year wasn’t awful, it was invigorating.

Emm
    Participant

@jrenaut 115733 wrote:

I think it’s worth going. The Mayor might be there, and she’s sure to give a really patronizing speech about her dedication to safe cycling infrastructure. From behind the podium where she’ll speak, she’ll be able to see the spot on PA Ave where I was hit by a cabbie making a u-turn. It’s one of the blocks that, after all these years, still doesn’t have anything but paint surrounding the cycletracks.

And the weather last year wasn’t awful, it was invigorating.

That was the least motivating reply possible, especially since it’d be my first time on the PA cycletrack ;).

And I agree. Last year’s weather was so awesome the people at the Rosslyn pit stop offered me 2-3 bags of swag just to get rid of it. I wish that’d happen again. I used that backpack all the time…until it got stolen by my mother, who is now proudly sporting her stolen Bike Arlington bag in Detroit.

Mikey
    Participant

The swag there is not as good as Rosslyn or even Crystal City. If you are really interested in tri-fold pamphlets extolling the benefits of tap water then I’d say go for it. If you want something of actual value I think you might be disappointed by freedom plaza.

jrenaut
    Participant

Freedom Plaza is THE stop in DC. Whether that makes a difference to you is personal preference. I’m not big on swag, though, so the lack thereof doesn’t really bother me.

rcannon100
    Participant

The Best Stop will be Shirlington! YAY! Go Shirlington!

old-lady-bicycle-wallpaper-for-2560x1920-332-26.jpg

vvill
    Participant

As jrenaut says, it’s probably THE pitstop in DC. More people and publicity than the rest of them. More political too, obviously. A friend of mine (riding with me) was interviewed there for a TV station a couple of years ago.

Also agreed the swag isn’t that great if that’s what you’re after. Rosslyn and Ballston are probably my overall favourites for a fun/swag mix. Georgetown by the water is small but worth a quick detour too for some different swag.

Steve O
    Participant

@vvill 115749 wrote:

Rosslyn and Ballston are probably my overall favourites for a fun/swag mix.

Stop by Rosslyn to see my up-to-date collection of BTWD t-shirts—complete from 2002 through 2014 (and presumably 2015 orange). On display at whatever booth I’m staffing.

New and Improved since this photo from Ballston in 2013.

[IMG]https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/941602_475111779224010_699686553_n.jpg?oh=d4fd80f65b2e753116cffc664e8ed9f3&oe=55C16C67[/IMG]

vvill
    Participant

@Steve O 115754 wrote:

Stop by Rosslyn to see my up-to-date collection of BTWD t-shirts—complete from 2002 through 2014 (and presumably 2015 orange). On display at whatever booth I’m staffing.

Nice!

I’m planning to be at the Bikenetic stop bright and early through most of the morning.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

Apparently, the DC public library will be at Freedom Plaza this year, giving out something. Last year, at the actual libraries, they gave out books. Might be worth checking out.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

What do they have at Rosslyn? I’ve never stopped by the Rosslyn pit stop before.

83b
    Participant

Well, the people watching is quite good. And you can heckle AAA Mid-Atlantic at their table!

rcannon100
    Participant

@PotomacCyclist 115768 wrote:

What do they have at Rosslyn? I’ve never stopped by the Rosslyn pit stop before.

Last year they had lots and lots of mud. Oh, and water. And some slog.

14015361490_0b82f36b9d.jpg

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@PotomacCyclist 115768 wrote:

We got our shipment of swag from Trek/Bontrager in yesterday! It came in about 17 boxes…

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

You could hand AAA some of those green or orange bike pins.

Sort of like in a situation I saw many years ago at the old downtown Burger King. (I don’t think the Burger King still exists and I don’t really eat at burger places any more.) I was standing in line when the young woman in front of me climbed onto the counter and started shouting, “This restaurant is being shut down for cruelty to animals!” She repeated this over and over. The manager came out and helped an employee to get the woman safely back down to the floor. However, when a man stood up there as part of the protest, the manager yanked the guys ankle and caused him to come crashing down.

The police arrived and handcuffed the woman. (They did not beat her or treat her roughly. There were also a lot of witnesses around.) As the woman was lying there on the ground, a homeless guy (I assumed he was homeless because he had a scruffy large beard, disheveled clothing and rags and a very messy appearance) leaned over to her calmly and said, “Ma’am, can I offer you a hamburger?”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.