I Know ItSnot a Polite Subject. . . .

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition I Know ItSnot a Polite Subject. . . .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Fast Friendly Guy
    Participant

If you’re like me you can’t ride in temps below 50 F without a runny nose! The colder it gets the worse it becomes! Anybody else with this problem? (I apologize in advance to all with tender sensibilities) I should explain, I’m talking about a consistency that’s clear–not green–more like tears than the byproduct of a cold. Call me whatever you like, but I don’t like soaking the fleece thumb patch on my gloves with snot (even though it may be made for this). As a result, I have sort of mastered the over-right-shoulder fireman’s BLOW (after looking behind, of course). Ample practice has helped me keep my shoulder dry, but my lip is still wet. I usually carry a claean bandanna in an outside pocket/pouch which is good for lip-drying. Another thing I’ve tried is folding the Bandanna and tucking it partly in at my wrist. This way I don’t have to reach in my pocket for it.

Anyone else have this problem?….or have a working solution they favor?

Dave

dkel
    Participant

I’m glad it’s not just me with this problem! (I’m also glad someone else had the courage to bring it up.) Personally, I’m terrible at launching snot rockets, so I end up stuffing half a dozen tissues in my pockets. I could probably tell you the temperature pretty accurately by the number I use on my commute.

dbb
    Participant

@dkel 71494 wrote:

I’m glad it’s not just me with this problem! (I’m also glad someone else had the courage to bring it up.) Personally, I’m terrible at launching snot rockets

A forum search for “snot rocket” reveals one post each year since 2010. You sir, provided the second post for 2013.

dkel
    Participant

@dbb 71496 wrote:

A forum search for “snot rocket” reveals one post each year since 2010. You sir, provided the second post for 2013.

Sit back and watch the “ELITE”s roll in!

Jason B
    Participant

Perfecting the snot rocket is way more useful than a bunny hop or even a track stand. I think it originated on a castle wall in France during the Middle Ages.

dasgeh
    Participant

@Fast Friendly Guy 71489 wrote:

(I apologize in advance to all with tender sensibilities)

You don’t have to worry about such things here

KLizotte
    Participant

The only way I know of to combat this phenomenon is with a prescription nasal spray called “ipratropium bromide” (generic name). It is a non-steroid spray intended to combat runny nose caused by allergies so I don’t know if a doctor will prescribe it for simple “cold nose”. I have year round allergies so use it all the time. If I take an extra dose of it before going out in the cold it does a pretty good job of stopping the runnies. I survived the cider ride quite well because of this med. It is non-sedating. I highly recommend it if you can get your doctor to write you a prescription. Otherwise, you have to find a way of keeping the air you are breathe in from being cold.

Greenbelt
    Participant

The outer part of the thumb on my gloves is an absorbent pad perfect for a quick snot wipe.

Also highly recommend the neck gator, which can be pulled up over mouth when it’s cold to warm and humidify air, and can also be swiveled when the front gets crusted over with frozen snot and drool.

bobco85
    Participant

I have a system from the summer that could serve useful here with some modifications:

back of left glove – wipe your snot
    back of right glove – wipe your sweat/other grime

Just make sure to wipe them off when you finish your ride with a wet paper towel, and more importantly, don’t mix your left with your right in the middle of a ride (happened rarely, but it was devastating)!

Fast Friendly Guy
    Participant

Wow! Thanks for all the useful ideas!

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

I’ve found that if I keep my sinuses toasty warm by using a fleece face mask, I generally don’t get runny nose while riding. The one I like best comes up to the bottom of my cycling glasses, covers my face and neck and fastens in the back with velcro. However, my nose starts to run the minute I take the mask off, so I make sure I have a kleenex or handkerchief at the ready when I take it off.

bobco85
    Participant

@Arlingtonrider 71572 wrote:

I’ve found that if I keep my sinuses toasty warm by using a fleece face mask, I generally don’t get runny nose while riding. The one I like best comes up to the bottom of my cycling glasses, covers my face and neck and fastens in the back with velcro. However, my nose starts to run the minute I take the mask off, so I make sure I have a kleenex or handkerchief at the ready when I take it off.

I forgot to mention: I have a neoprene face mask I use anytime the temperature drops below freezing that works really well to keep my nose from getting all snotty and runny. This is the one that I use (I used it this morning with no trouble whatsoever): http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1019429_-1_400093__400093

The only negative I can say about it is that the velcro sometimes irritates/scratches the back of my neck. Usually I can adjust my hat and jacket to combat this, but it happens at times.

Jason B
    Participant

^^^^
    Are you able to use it with glasses? I am still searching for the elusive non-fogging face mask.

bobco85
    Participant

@Jason B 71602 wrote:

^^^^
    Are you able to use it with glasses? I am still searching for the elusive non-fogging face mask.

Sadly, no. I have to make the choice between frozen eyes and frozen/runny mouth/nose, and, well, my eyes usually lose. Best way to go would probably be with ski goggles. I don’t know if there’s a Winter ELITE category, but someone with ski goggles would definitely fall into it!

dkel
    Participant

@Jason B 71602 wrote:

^^^^

I keep my gaiter pulled up just under my glasses, and I have found that breathing into it only fogs them up when I stop. If I blow through it when I’m stopped (instead of exhaling normally) I don’t fog up. Works great for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.