How to Enter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    cvcalhoun
    Participant

Just thought I’d post all the steps to enter the competition in one place. (I did this earlier, but it was buried in the comments instead of having its own post.) To enter, you need to:

1. Register for Strava. (This must be done before filling out the application form, because you’ll need your Strava information to fill out the form.)
    2. Register for this forum. (It is helpful to have done this before filling out the application form, so that you can give your forum name on the application.)
    3. Fill out the application form. (Deadline is December 24 at midnight.)
    4. Authorize the BikeArlington Freezing Saddles app on Strava.
    5. Find out which team you are on.
    6. Join the appropriate club for your team on Strava. Here is a page with a link to each team’s club on Strava. You’ll need to go to the appropriate club on Strava and click the “Request to Join” link.

Bonus link:

Here is the leaderboard.

Given that I’m new here myself, does anyone have any additions or corrections to this list?

dkel
    Participant

Thanks for posting the steps. One suggestion: contestants might want to register for the forum before filling out the Freezing Saddles application, so that they will have their forum username to put down on the application.

oldbikechick
    Participant

Thanks for posting the steps – very helpful for those of us strava uninitiated!

@cvcalhoun 72501 wrote:

Just thought I’d post all the steps to enter the competition in one place. (I did this earlier, but it was buried in the comments instead of having its own post.) To enter, you need to:

1. Register for Strava. (This must be done before filling out the application form, because you’ll need your Strava information to fill out the form.)
    2. Fill out the application form. (Deadline is December 24 at midnight.)
    3. Register for this forum.
    5. Join the BikeArlington club on Strava.

Bonus link:

Here is the leaderboard.

Given that I’m new here myself, does anyone have any additions or corrections to this list?

cvcalhoun
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve updated the original post accordingly. @dkel 72503 wrote:

Thanks for posting the steps. One suggestion: contestants might want to register for the forum before filling out the Freezing Saddles application, so that they will have their forum username to put down on the application.

sethpo
    Participant

Just followed all those steps. Excited to participate! What’s next? I’m new to this thing.

@cvcalhoun 72501 wrote:

2. Register for this forum. (It is helpful to have done this before filling out the application form, so that you can give your forum name on the application.)
    3. Fill out the application form. (Deadline is December 24 at midnight.)
    5. Join the BikeArlington club on Strava.

Bonus link:

Here is the leaderboard.

MattAune
    Participant

@sethpo 72581 wrote:

Just followed all those steps. Excited to participate! What’s next? I’m new to this thing.

1. Sign up
    2. Go to happy hour on Jan 2nd in shirlington where teams will be announed
    3. Ride yer bike.
    4. …
    5. Profit

rcannon100
    Participant

6. Cycle to work…. via Harpers Ferry.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

Alas, I cannot go to happy hour in Shirlington on January 2! I have a preexisting commitment to a rehearsal for The Vagina Monologues, coming to Greenbelt Arts Center January 24 to February 8. I’m hoping that I will somehow get notified of which team I’m on, anyway.

hozn
    Participant

I am sure the teams will be posted here shortly thereafter. We will need those teams to turn into Strava clubs (and everyone to join their respective teams) before the leaderboard will be functional in competition mode. Those (like myself) that are on the current board will drop off when the configured team list no longer includes BikeArlington. (And we’ll reset the db to reflect the start of the competition on the 1st.)

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

People might also want to start thinking about possible names for their teams. :)

peterw_diy
    Participant

Who is allowed to participate? I expect the answer is at least DC, Arl Co, and Alex City residents since WABF is sponsored by those jurisdictions. Anyone else?

rcannon100
    Participant

@peterw_diy 72611 wrote:

Who is allowed to participate? I expect the answer is at least DC, Arl Co, and Alex City residents since WABF is sponsored by those jurisdictions. Anyone else?

This is a challenge for this forum. It is designed to promote this community. Last year we had a lot of fun and made a lot of noise, and some of us did some amazing things. We yammered alot on the forum; we had group rides; and we came together for our happy hours. It helped build this community.

For those not in this community, they did not benefit from it (and they added work to the volunteers who run this thing). We made a conscious decision not to advertise Freezing Saddles this year outside this forum in order to retain that focus on this community.

I might also note that we now have ~100 people registered; that’s double the number from last year. Many people are new to the forum. I have asked a few new registrants to clarify that they are in fact local. Hopefully the same thing will happen as last year, where after enduring the frozen initiation, the noobs will settle down here in our hometown of Rock Ridge.

Oh, and one point of clarification: Freezing Saddles is not sponsored by anyone; it is not sponsored by Bike Arlington. It is a self organized effort of the members of this community.

Brent
    Participant

I’ve authorized the app, joined the Strava group, and filled out the google form, but I’m not showing up on the leaderboard. Did I miss something?

hozn
    Participant

@Brent 72951 wrote:

I’ve authorized the app, joined the Strava group, and filled out the google form, but I’m not showing up on the leaderboard. Did I miss something?

There may be (another?) bug, but I thought those were all squished. Please confirm that you have also ridden during December :) The membership in the BikeArlington group is just for testing period; it’ll be irrelevant in a couple days here when we configure the app to use the actual Strava teams (once they are created by the respective team captains).

There will likely be a short period where the leaderboard won’t be “working”. Hopefully the team captains can quickly setup the Strava clubs for the individual teams to minimize that period. No data will be lost either way, but there may be some “riding blind” the first few days.

ejwillis62
    Participant

Did I enter, I am not sure and I would hate to miss out. I think I did. can someone look me up. ejwillis
    or show this technology challenged person how to check the leaderboard.

LIZ W.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.