Easy ways to manually enter data?

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Easy ways to manually enter data?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    vvill
    Participant

No problem! I should re-word slightly to say “(measured with good old magnets)”. Transmission is wireless.

Tip for crank mounted magnets: you can use a ring shaped rare earth magnet on the inside of your pedal spindle instead of zip tie-ing the included magnet to your crank. It might be slightly heavier but is well worth it imo.

jrenaut
    Participant

@vvill 72162 wrote:

…you can use a ring shaped rare earth magnet on the inside of your pedal spindle instead of zip tie-ing the included magnet to your crank…

Zip ties on your cranks are SO un-ELITE

Vicegrip
    Participant

@vvill 72162 wrote:

No problem! I should re-word slightly to say “(measured with good old magnets)”. Transmission is wireless.

Tip for crank mounted magnets: you can use a ring shaped rare earth magnet on the inside of your pedal spindle instead of zip tie-ing the included magnet to your crank. It might be slightly heavier but is well worth it imo.

small disk magnets the size of the back of the pedal spindle work too. Less weight than the stock one for the weight wee-kneez to boot. That said I am too lazy to upgrade and still have the stock one with a stainless wire holding it in place. OMG So un-elite.

I like to use the Garmin usb dongle in the laptop. Run Traineroad and Netflix at the same time to cut into the mind and butt numbing aspects of riding the mouse wheel.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@jrenaut 72163 wrote:

Zip ties on your cranks are SO un-ELITE

A powertap will measure cadence without the need for anything on the cranks!

vvill
    Participant

The PowerTap cadence is based on spikes in your power though (I think?), so in theory if you have a perfectly smooth stroke it won’t measure properly.

@Vicegrip 72172 wrote:

small disk magnets the size of the back of the pedal spindle work too. Less weight than the stock one for the weight wee-kneez to boot. That said I am too lazy to upgrade and still have the stock one with a stainless wire holding it in place. OMG So un-elite.

Yeah I use the ring shape because it’s easier to remove. I have Crank Bros pedals which use a hex in the back of the pedal spindle, so I’d occasionally want to remove the magnet. If your pedals use a normal pedal wrench there’s probably no need for the ring shape.

I had a zip tie for some time but it was prone to moving around every now and then, and you also get occasional rubbing when you ride. Also: Not aero. :D

americancyclo
    Participant

@vvill 72184 wrote:

I use the ring shape because it’s easier to remove.

link?

MattAune
    Participant

Quarq and SRMs have the magnet mounted to a BB cup or BB guide. cant see the magnet at all.

I do notice that my powertaps read cadence lower than my quarq, fwiw.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@MattAune 72195 wrote:

Quarq and SRMs have the magnet mounted to a BB cup or BB guide. cant see the magnet at all.

I do notice that my powertaps read cadence lower than my quarq, fwiw.

PTs use science to estimate the cadence, so you’ll see some crazy fluctuations here and there (like 250rpm spikes) but they are generally pretty consistent, which is the important part.

hozn
    Participant

@Vicegrip 72172 wrote:

This is what I do. I haven’t found it to be a problem with removing pedals with a hex wrench; they pop off easily with a tool — though you do have to be careful not to lose the magnet. I could see ring being a little more convenient if they’re easy to find (?)

The disc magnets can be found on ebay easily; search for “Icarus crank magnet”. I imagine there are cheaper ways to get them.

vvill
    Participant

Yeah I think we’re all talking about the same location. By inside spindle I mean back of spindle, or whatever.

@americancyclo 72191 wrote:

link?

These worked for me. Just keep them away from kids (maybe). Probably cheaper on ebay, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Magcraft-NSN0814-2-Inch-Magnets-12-Count/dp/B001DCVGH0/

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.