Easy ways to manually enter data?

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Easy ways to manually enter data?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    peterw_diy
    Participant

In this soft launch phase I’m learning that data entry is my biggest problem.

First, I seldom use the phone app. Sometimes I’m too rushed to bother tapping through to start recording a ride (like taking the kid to school) and sometimes I just forget. Sometimes I start recording and don’t remember to stop recording when I get to my destination.

Second, Strava’s “Upload” manual entry interface is very tedious, so it’s very unpleasant to play catch-up.

On most days I’m taking the same trips, with routes of basically the same distance. One school round trip. One trip to work. One trip home. Sometimes a quick ride to one of our favorite grocery stores. What I’d like is a nice interface that would let me save information about some of my more common routes and then use that to quickly create activities. I imagine something like a list of typical routes with checkboxes and a date picker so I could quickly feed data to bafs/Strava. Or maybe a calendar grid that I can drag and drop route names on. I can imagine exactly how to do this in a web page with a little javascript and a minimal server-side piece (to regurgitate the data in one of the file formats that Strava accepts). Has someone already built such a thing?

Thanks.

americancyclo
    Participant

sounds like you need a garmin.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@peterw_diy 71942 wrote:

In this soft launch phase I’m learning that data entry is my biggest problem.

First, I seldom use the phone app. Sometimes I’m too rushed to bother tapping through to start recording a ride (like taking the kid to school) and sometimes I just forget. Sometimes I start recording and don’t remember to stop recording when I get to my destination.

Second, Strava’s “Upload” manual entry interface is very tedious, so it’s very unpleasant to play catch-up.

On most days I’m taking the same trips, with routes of basically the same distance. One school round trip. One trip to work. One trip home. Sometimes a quick ride to one of our favorite grocery stores. What I’d like is a nice interface that would let me save information about some of my more common routes and then use that to quickly create activities. I imagine something like a list of typical routes with checkboxes and a date picker so I could quickly feed data to bafs/Strava. Or maybe a calendar grid that I can drag and drop route names on. I can imagine exactly how to do this in a web page with a little javascript and a minimal server-side piece (to regurgitate the data in one of the file formats that Strava accepts). Has someone already built such a thing?

Thanks.

Endomondo can do basically what you’re asking, but Strava doesn’t. But if you go to Strava>Upload Activity, on the left you’ll see a tab for “Manual Entry.” I’m pretty sure a lot of people did this during last year’s competition, so I don’t think it’ll cause any problems with the points totals.

dasgeh
    Participant

Any Android users out there who have figured out a widget to put on the home screen to open Strava and start it recording a ride with one tap?

hozn
    Participant

Tapiriik.com now supports syncing stationary activities (before it was only stuff with geo), so you may want to simply use one of the other tapiriik.com-supported sites and have that automatically published to Strava. (E.g. if Endomondo is better, use that.) I am not 100% sure that this feature has been deployed, but know that Collin merged in that code.

My ridewithgps.com support was also merged in, but when he then merged in the stationary support that had to be disabled. It’s on my plate to go back and add the stationary activity suppor to rwgps. I will circle back on that once the freezing saddles stuff is in a good place (I think we’re pretty close).

In general, though, the problems you describe with forgetting to start a recording or to stop are things that all of us likely experienced (and still experience, though less frequently) when we started using devices to capture ride data & upload it to these types of sites.

jrenaut
    Participant

You may be in luck – I haven’t been Strava-ing many rides lately because I haven’t been anywhere interesting, but I did today in part because I wanted some data on my Freezing Saddles profile. Unfortunately, my phone decided to search for a GPS signal for the first four miles or so of my ride (And then I dropped my front derailleur on the Rock Creek Park Trail – I’ll probably post about it here somewhere). So I may also be looking for a way to quickly manually enter rides. And when your needs align with the needs of the web developers, you win!

I’ll keep you posted, but there’s probably a way we can make this work for people who can’t or don’t want to use Strava all the time.

peterw_diy
    Participant

@jrenaut 71990 wrote:

You may be in luck – I haven’t been Strava-ing many rides lately because I haven’t been anywhere interesting, but I did today in part because I wanted some data on my Freezing Saddles profile. Unfortunately, my phone decided to search for a GPS signal for the first four miles or so of my ride (And then I dropped my front derailleur on the Rock Creek Park Trail – I’ll probably post about it here somewhere). So I may also be looking for a way to quickly manually enter rides. And when your needs align with the needs of the web developers, you win!

I’ll keep you posted, but there’s probably a way we can make this work for people who can’t or don’t want to use Strava all the time.

That sounds great — the avoiding-Strava-and-uploading-easily bit, not the derailleur. Dropped your derailleur? Ouch.

jrenaut
    Participant

I just mean that the cable popped out. I put it back in and managed to get to the bike shop.

MattAune
    Participant

@hozn 71970 wrote:

Tapiriik.com now supports syncing stationary activities (before it was only stuff with geo), so you may want to simply use one of the other tapiriik.com-supported sites and have that automatically published to Strava. (E.g. if Endomondo is better, use that.) I am not 100% sure that this feature has been deployed, but know that Collin merged in that code.

My ridewithgps.com support was also merged in, but when he then merged in the stationary support that had to be disabled. It’s on my plate to go back and add the stationary activity suppor to rwgps. I will circle back on that once the freezing saddles stuff is in a good place (I think we’re pretty close).

In general, though, the problems you describe with forgetting to start a recording or to stop are things that all of us likely experienced (and still experience, though less frequently) when we started using devices to capture ride data & upload it to these types of sites.

Did Tapiriik drop support for endomondo? I used the service for the NBC but I no longer see an endomondo link on my tapiriik connections page.

Jason B
    Participant

Sorry to diverge a tad bit, but how are people uploading their trainer rides with full stats (speed, heart cdc) to strava? This is for a friend who is using a trainer, not me of course.;)

MattAune
    Participant

@Jason B 72079 wrote:

Sorry to diverge a tad bit, but how are people uploading their trainer rides with full stats (speed, heart cdc) to strava? This is for a friend who is using a trainer, not me of course.;)

From a Garmin or similar device that records ANT+ sensor data. Or sometimes I use TrainerRoad and an ANT+ usb key in the computer. TrainerRoad has a .tcx export, then I upload the file to strava.

hozn
    Participant

@MattAune 72075 wrote:

Did Tapiriik drop support for endomondo? I used the service for the NBC but I no longer see an endomondo link on my tapiriik connections page.

My guess is that Collin hasn’t finished the stationary activity support for Endomondo so it is temporarily disabled. I will ask when I circle back on that project.

Subby
    Participant

Random shoutout to tapiriik. I love it! Having everything automatically upload to dropbox is the bee’s knees.

vvill
    Participant

@Jason B 72079 wrote:

If you have a Garmin there is the GSC-10 sensor, that transmits speed and cadence (with good old magnets) to the Garmin head unit. Costs ~$35+

Jason B
    Participant

@vvill 72158 wrote:

If you have a Garmin there is the GSC-10 sensor, that transmits speed and cadence (with good old magnets) to the Garmin head unit. Costs ~$35+

Thanks for help with this.I didn’t realize Trainerroad could be transferred to strava.
    thanks again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.