DCBikemap.com

Our Community Forums Where to ride? DCBikemap.com

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Judd
    Participant

@chris_s 181309 wrote:

Actually it does. DC is the only jurisdiction that is good about doing this. If someone has a suggested for a intuitive way to show it, I have the information to do so.

I also know in Arlington “bike lane” vs “buffered bike lane” but I’m not currently showing that distinction either.

We just need a simple color chart for the 26 different types of bike infrastructure one may encounter.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@dasgeh 181349 wrote:

But does that one matter?

I guess it wouldn’t if conventional bike lanes were as wide as a standard buffered lane including the buffer, but with few exceptions they are not, AFAICT.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@Judd 181351 wrote:

We just need a simple color chart for the 26 different types of bike infrastructure one may encounter.

Ah. Maps, like data analysis in general, is not neutral wrt conceptual assumptions. FIRST you have to decide what distinctions matter. If someone thinks that flexpost protected bike lanes are great, but that car parking protected ones are unsafe due to visibility issues, then they might want to group the flexpost protected ones, concrete paver protected ones, and properly daylighted parking protected ones together, while putting other parking protected ones in a different category. Those concerned about dooring as a major threat might want to seperate door zone bike lanes from others. Etc, etc.

BTW, I understand Chris is dealing with existing databases, so can’t really get into those issues.

LeprosyStudyGroup
    Participant

oh that’s easy

flexposts can be perriwinkle,
    parking protected can be greyish violet,
    concrete paver protected would be light mauve,
    and door zones can be my favorite, pale magenta

chris_s
    Participant

I’m in the process of rebuilding dcbikemap.com to use OpenStreetMap bike facility data rather than jurisdictional data (since they’re almost universally terrible at making updates). This would allow the community to make its own updates and fixes (at least anyone willing to put in the time and effort to learn how to update OpenStreet Map).

Here’s how it currently looks: https://dcbikemap.com/v2.html

DCAKen
    Participant

What’s the difference between a major and minor bike trail? For example, the Anacostia Trail north of East Capitol Street is designated a major trail, but is minor south of there. Why is the towpath in Georgetown east of 31st Street included as a minor trail, but west of 31st to Fletcher’s Boathouse isn’t? West of Fletcher’s it’s a major trail.

chris_s
    Participant

@DCAKen 219215 wrote:

What’s the difference between a major and minor bike trail? For example, the Anacostia Trail north of East Capitol Street is designated a major trail, but is minor south of there. Why is the towpath in Georgetown east of 31st Street included as a minor trail, but west of 31st to Fletcher’s Boathouse isn’t? West of Fletcher’s it’s a major trail.

I’m basing it off of how they’re tagged in Open Street Map, which is wildly inconsistent at this point. Moving in this direction will require a fair amount of data cleanup (for instance all of the Wakefield Park Mountain Bike Trails were tagged like PBLs until I fixed it a couple of days ago) but is something the community can fix itself rather than asking some underpaid employee in the jurisdiction GIS office to do it.

I’m displaying as major trails anything tagged as a “cycleway” and displaying as minor anything tagged as a “footway” or “path”.

elbows
    Participant

It’s been 6 years since you asked but…I would be interested in helping with restrooms and water fountains FWIW. This has become a new issue for me with several family members who need better restroom access. (One obvious issue with restrooms and water fountains is that their availability might also be limited by time of year or day.)

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.