DC to NYC via Amtrak?

Our Community Forums Commuters DC to NYC via Amtrak?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    kwarkentien
    Participant

@rcannon100 117546 wrote:

The real question is a trip to Bahston ~ then New London to Long Island ~ and then having a bike on the North Fork. I think I can rent a bike on the north fork. But I would probably have to hitch hike from the ferry to town (who puts a ferry 10 miles from the closest town?)

If you weren’t so freakishly tall, I could offer up my “Long Island Bike” to you, which I leave 20 miles west of the ferry at my brother’s house in Mattituck. You’re correct that there isn’t much at the Orient end of the North Fork and nearest bike shop is quite a ways away. If you decided to cross the Sound from Bridgeport to Port Jefferson, you’d land in downtown with more options to find transit (and a bike shop) closer by. The ride to the North Fork from there has some winding, twisty, hilly fun.

kwarkentien
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 117555 wrote:

Mattituck/Laurel area. You can’t beat the Magic Fountain for ice cream!

The original family home was in Miller Place.

What what???? That’s cra-cra!!!! I’m from Miller Place!!!!!!!

rcannon100
    Participant

@kwarkentien 117556 wrote:

If you weren’t so freakish…

Who you calling freakish?

kwarkentien
    Participant

@rcannon100 117561 wrote:

Who you calling freakish?

If the shoe fits Cinderella…

rcannon100
    Participant

@kwarkentien 117562 wrote:

If the shoe fits Cinderella…

That would be this bike then

14084302_120917080000.jpg

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

FWIW, BoltBus and Washington Deluxe allow bikes (Megabus does not). Although I wouldn’t want to take my Cervelo, at least without doing a test run, I’d take one of my fixed gear bikes in a heartbeat.

Can I take a bicycle or golf bag?
    We do allow oversize items as long as space is available in the baggage bin. The oversize item will count as your one bag allowed under the coach. You’ll be responsible for placing the item in the baggage bin. We will not charge you an additional fee for oversized item provided it is within your limit of one bag under the coach.

https://www.boltbus.com/faq.aspx

https://www.washny.com/faqs.php#Baggage%20and%20Seating

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 117545 wrote:

Just ride there?

Or use CitiBike?

Or be a pioneer and ride CaBi to NYC.

kwarkentien
    Participant

@rcannon100 117563 wrote:

That would be this bike then

14084302_120917080000.jpg

That’s friggin’ awesome!!!!!

komorebi
    Participant

@rcannon100 117521 wrote:

Old thread. Any updates? Has anyone done this. I take it the gig is
    * The bicycle must be in a box
    * The bicycle must be checked (which means only stations with baggage service)

Anyone done it and can report on whether this is such a grand thing?

http://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard

I checked my bike on an Alexandria-New Haven trip at about this time last year. (I met up with friends in New Haven, and we then drove and took the New London ferry to Long Island.)

The major downside was that the only Amtrak train accepting checked baggage was the overnight train — meaning that I arrived in New Haven at about 4:30 a.m., then had to wait around the station for the rather groggy station attendant to finally arrive and officially open the baggage service window.

Other than that, the process was pretty easy. I used my own bike case, but the Amtrak bike boxes are so big that only minimal disassembly would have been required if I had chosen that option. The station attendants didn’t blink an eye when accepting my bike case (and didn’t charge me the $10 that I thought they were supposed to charge). And the baggage handlers were reasonably gentle when handling my bike case. I’ve seen airplane luggage thrown around a lot more carelessly, for example.

bikingarlington
    Participant

@hencio 8782 wrote:

Travelling to NYC potentially for the day via Amtrak. Since I regularly bike to work, I figure biking to Union Station, taking the train to Penn Station, then biking to our NY office seems like a super efficient thing to do. Wondering if anyone here knows what the rules are for bikes on Amtrak?

Rick

Thank you for this. I have had the chance to take my bike on Washington Deluxe from the Arlington, VA stop (Pentagon City0 and was glad they had a Manhattan stop, as that was a good drop off point for me. No fees were charged as I think you already noted it counts as the one item you can carry in the underneath storage area. I added the bus stops in NYC for reference. I haven’t tried Bolt yet.

https://www.washny.com/bus-stops.php

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.