DC to NYC via Amtrak?

Our Community Forums Commuters DC to NYC via Amtrak?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    hencio
    Participant

Travelling to NYC potentially for the day via Amtrak. Since I regularly bike to work, I figure biking to Union Station, taking the train to Penn Station, then biking to our NY office seems like a super efficient thing to do. Wondering if anyone here knows what the rules are for bikes on Amtrak?

Rick

Justin Antos
    Participant

Hencio – this link may help you out. Good luck!

hencio
    Participant

@Justin Antos 8783 wrote:

Hencio – this link may help you out. Good luck!

Thanks for the link. I didn’t see the Northeast line of the list, so I’ll have to call. Based on what I’ve already read, bike on the Acela is out.

Greenbelt
    Participant

I’ve always wanted to take the train up to NYC for the day with my bike, but didn’t know if they’d allow it. Seems to me that they should, especially on weekends or non-peak hours. Maybe charge an extra fee would seem fair, since bikes do take up space. And ask people with bikes to load in particular locations and wait for others to offload would seem fair.

Lots of people bring tons of luggage on the trains, and there’s usually plenty of room for it up in the front or back of each car where they have the wheelchair space.

Lots of bikes on the trains in Italy on weekends, so it has to be possible to figure this out.

RESTONTODC
    Participant

The NY Bolt Bus or Chinatown bus will let you take the bike for free. I see a lot of people bring their to NY for weekend ride.

https://www.boltbus.com/faq.aspx

bikesnick
    Participant

in this washington post article (from october 2008), the author describes his day trip from bethesda to nyc (by bus) for a day of riding his bicycle in manhattan. (he was 78 years old.)
    /bs

Greenbelt
    Participant

@RESTONTODC 8787 wrote:

The NY Bolt Bus or Chinatown bus will let you take the bike for free. I see a lot of people bring their to NY for weekend ride.

That settles it — I’m taking Bolt. They have departures from Greenbelt metro parking lot.

MCL1981
    Participant

I take Amtrak from WDC to CT (passed NYC) frequently. I have never seen anyone even try to take a bike. And can’t think of a single place on any of the cars where you could reasonably stow a bike. Anywhere it would fit would be cumbersome and blockade everyone else. I don’t believe it is practical. Maybe the 3am train since it is empty. But any normal daytime (including weekends) train, forget it.

CCrew
    Participant

@MCL1981 8814 wrote:

Maybe the 3am train since it is empty. But any normal daytime (including weekends) train, forget it.

3am train historically is a mail train and allows checked baggage.

hencio
    Participant

I called Amtrak. The Northeast line is all carry on, so bikes would not be possible. NYC has a bike share that is supposed to launch summer 2012. Perhaps then it will be possible.

DismalScientist
    Participant

Back in the 80’s I took my bike on Amtrak from Wisconsin Dells to Red Wing, MN. I popped off the front wheel and told them to measure it. It fit the dimensions of carry-on baggage. Since it was about 11 at night and I getting off in a few hours, the conductor just said “Screw it,” and stuck it in the area between cars.

bikesnick
    Participant

@hencio 8824 wrote:

NYC has a bike share that is supposed to launch summer 2012. Perhaps then it will be possible.

it also is possible to rent bikes in nyc. we rented from bike and roll for the 5 boro ride in may. the bikes were new and worked great. they have cruisers, comfort, performance, race, tandem, and kids bikes.
    /bs

KLizotte
    Participant

@RESTONTODC 8787 wrote:

This is the bit about bikes on board:

Can I take a bicycle or golf bag?

We do allow them and consider them to be oversize items as long as space is available in the baggage area. The oversize item will count as your one bag allowed under the coach. You’ll be responsible for placing the item in the baggage bin. We will not charge you an additional fee for oversized item provided it is within your limit of one bag under the coach. BOLTBUS is not responsible for damage to oversize items or items that are not placed in normal luggage or a carrying case.

MCL1981
    Participant

@CCrew 8818 wrote:

3am train historically is a mail train and allows checked baggage.

There is no baggage car. Its a normal Northeast Regional train. It just happens to be pretty empty since most normal people are asleep. Not mail and no bikes or other unreasonable luggage is allowed. Its quite unlikely that you’ll get your bike passed the gate agent, the police officer, and the conductors.

americancyclo
    Participant

@RESTONTODC 8787 wrote:

The NY Bolt Bus or Chinatown bus will let you take the bike for free. I see a lot of people bring their to NY for weekend ride.https://www.boltbus.com/faq.aspx

I’ve heard folks recommend that you lock your bike to one of the pillars in the cargo hold to keep it from getting banged around too much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.