BTWD Pictures

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    rcannon100
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11786[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11787[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11788[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11789[/ATTACH]

consularrider
    Participant

And no, I was NOT sporting Bike Arlington colors this morning, just a coinkie-dinkie. ;)

Greenbelt
    Participant

13244222_1029227390477311_4531785953425832761_o.jpg

rcannon100
    Participant

@Greenbelt 140038 wrote:

13244222_1029227390477311_4531785953425832761_o.jpg

You guys are building some pretty cool looking bikes….

Rootchopper
    Participant

Danger Will Robinson Danger

DanB
    Participant

Suggestion: SSTWD (skid steer to work day)
    “Too many bikes and runners on the trail? We have the solution!”

And for commuting on I-66 …
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11796[/ATTACH]

bobco85
    Participant

I visited 6 pit stops on my BTWD ride. I woke up at 4:30 so that I could make it to National Harbor right when they started at 6:30 which would give me time to visit the others before ending at Ballston which ended at 9.

My path was thus: Mi casa (West End Alexandria) -> Oxon Hill (National Harbor) -> Market Square (Alexandria) -> Carlyle -> Del Ray -> Shirlington -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)

(top) the one tent Oxon Hill (National Harbor) pit stop which will hopefully grow due to all the local development, I picked up a wall map of MD highways because they were trying to get rid of them (it’s 5 feet by 3 feet); (bottom) Market Square pit stop in Old Town Alexandria which had a lot to see
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11798[/ATTACH]

(top) Carlyle pit stop where I got a wine tote and Panera breakfast kit (french toast bagel with butter, ready for the toaster, mmm); (bottom) shown out of order, the Ballston pit stop which I visited last before heading off to work, the only pit stop I saw that had a unicyclist
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11799[/ATTACH]

(top) at the Del Ray pit stop where I was accosted by a few fellow forumites :) (bottom) lots of donuts from Sugar Shack, but the one that called out to me was the M&M glazed donut
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11800[/ATTACH]

(top) Shirlington pit stop which oddly enough had a 395 Express lanes booth, perhaps I-395 will get its own protected bicycle express lanes??? (jk); (bottom) bacon cheddar scones from Best Buns in Shirlington reign again as my favorite BTWD snack, although I will not wait a full year next time to have another (kept forgetting)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11801[/ATTACH]

(top) selfie in front of my workplace in Ballston; (bottom) the swag, with the Alexandria tote bag being my favorite because I think the city seal looks cool
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11802[/ATTACH]

consularrider
    Participant

@bobco85 140084 wrote:

… (bottom) bacon cheddar scones from Best Buns in Shirlington reign again as my favorite BTWD snack, although I will not wait a full year next time to have another (kept forgetting)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11801[/ATTACH]

Every Wednesday morning, Imperial Hump Day Coffee Club at Best Buns. Early birds start around 7 am, bacon cheddar scones usually aren’t out of the oven until 7:15. There’s also been the Black Friday Best Buns Coffee Club.

Rod Smith
    Participant

@consularrider 140015 wrote:

And no, I was NOT sporting Bike Arlington colors this morning, just a coinkie-dinkie. ;)

Ukrainian All-Star

mello yello
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11816[/ATTACH]

Not an actual picture… BTWD Rosslyn Pit Stop / Party via Strava Flybys

bobco85
    Participant

I finished my video for Bike to Work Day 2016. I visited 6 pit stops along the way and even ran into- er, was caught by a few fellow forumites in Alexandria (arlingtonrider, komorebi, and (I don’t know the username, but you’re clearly shown in the video)). I think rcannon also made it into the video, too, and probably others that I didn’t recognize at the time (I can be incredibly oblivious to faces when biking).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qsvgqskE0

I didn’t have much time to spend (9 minutes average) at each pit stop if I was going to make it to Ballston in time (got to National Harbor just after it opened at 6:30), but I did make it to Ballston around 8:40 (it closed at 9). Still, it was fun seeing everyone at each of the pit stops and in-between.

Next year, I plan to do a more DC-centric route that will probably hit Rosslyn before ending in Ballston where I work. I look forward to another BTWD adventure!

KLizotte
    Participant

So how many donuts did you burn up riding around?

KWL
    Participant

Judging from the number of Sugar Shack donuts in the boxes, I’d say I must have left the Del Ray pit stop about 2 minutes before you arrived. Sorry I missed you.

bobco85
    Participant

@KLizotte 140290 wrote:

So how many donuts did you burn up riding around?

Hmm, let’s see. On my ride, I ate a Sugar Shack glazed with m&m’s donut, a Best Buns bacon cheddar scone, and a Panera french toast bagel (yeah, I was being health-conscious, so I avoided gaining more calories from sugary “fruits”). According to Strava, I burned 1,124 calories, so:

• -1124 calories (biking)
    • +400 calories (glazed donut with m&m’s)
    • +340 calories (bacon cheddar scone)
    • +350 calories (french toast bagel)
    • = net total of -34 calories

So, obviously this means biking such a long way to work allowed me to eat a glazed donut with m&m’s, a bacon cheddar scone, and a french toast bagel all while burning a whopping total of 34 calories! See that? Biking to work is TOTALLY healthy ;)

P.S. – it was a special day, but my normal breakfast tends to consist of a toasted wheat bagel with cream cheese and some fresh-cut pineapple chunks.

P.P.S. – I can still taste that bacon cheddar scone

komorebi
    Participant

@bobco85 140287 wrote:

I finished my video for Bike to Work Day 2016. I visited 6 pit stops along the way and even ran into- er, was caught by a few fellow forumites in Alexandria (arlingtonrider, komorebi, and (I don’t know the username, but you’re clearly shown in the video)).

That was CBGanimal. It was great to see you on Friday, and thanks for sharing the video!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.