Biking to work appears more dangerous than other commuting options, study finds.

Our Community Forums General Discussion Biking to work appears more dangerous than other commuting options, study finds.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    SarahBee
    Participant

@bentbike33 199410 wrote:

I will be starting the experiment tomorrow as the office fitness center, including locker rooms and showers, will be closed in compliance with Mayor Bowser’s order.

Oh no!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SarahBee
    Participant

So… a lot has changed since this article was published. I would LOVE to see a follow up article that notes the increase of bike commuting post COVID-19 lockdowns with updated traffic/collision stats. One of the long standing truisms is that with more cyclists commuting on the roads, incidents and fatalities diminish. Would like to see if the data supports this post pandemic.

mstone
    Participant

@SarahBee 201128 wrote:

So… a lot has changed since this article was published. I would LOVE to see a follow up article that notes the increase of bike commuting post COVID-19 lockdowns with updated traffic/collision stats. One of the long standing truisms is that with more cyclists commuting on the roads, incidents and fatalities diminish. Would like to see if the data supports this post pandemic.

Around here I didn’t see more cyclists on the roads but vehicle speeds went up.

Sunyata
    Participant

@mstone 201246 wrote:

Where the heck do you live? There are SO many more cyclists out on the roads in Falls Church and Arlington. It has been quite refreshing to see, actually.

rcannon100
    Participant

@mstone 201246 wrote:

Actual picture from yesterday’s bike ride

[IMG]https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2013/09/09/SRX_Spokefest_2013_crowd_moves90_t1200.jpg?298603a24e8d51915fce203907ff2746e482a5a6[/IMG]

(Seriously tho – going out is almost a giggle – there are SO MANY MORE cyclist out – pretty much riding anything that rolls)

huskerdont
    Participant

Tons more cyclists on the roads, including lots of kids and families, but he’s right about the vehicle speeds. Other bad motorist behavior (passing too close, horn blowing, not yielding the right-of-way) seems at about the same level, even with lighter car traffic.

I haven’t been around here in a while. Life, I guess. And teleworking. All my biking was commuting so I’ve been mostly out of the saddle.

Good news is that my youngest (3rd grade) finally wanted to learn to ride, so now I take my boys on the W&OD trail. Going kid-speed has been eye-opening. I have a whole new perspective on how many cyclists are bad with their passes. Maybe it’s because there’s so many new cyclists out there (judging by kit and bikes), or that it’s so crowded, but not many slow down to wait to pass pedestrians. Too many think nothing at all about crossing the yellow line head-on into my kids.

I’m starting to ride for myself again though, recreating my commute in the roads. I dream about going back to the office. When I’m out on the roads now traffic is light to non-existent. The roads are a dream compared to the W&OD. It’s been a good opportunity to take my oldest out to teach him how to ride in the roads.

mstone
    Participant

@Sunyata 201249 wrote:

Where the heck do you live? There are SO many more cyclists out on the roads in Falls Church and Arlington. It has been quite refreshing to see, actually.

Suburban Fairfax. At least I got to see cool pictures from FCFRD of cars flipped over on local roads because they were able to go so fast!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.