Biking to work appears more dangerous than other commuting options, study finds.

Our Community Forums General Discussion Biking to work appears more dangerous than other commuting options, study finds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    ImaCynic
    Participant
    phog
    Participant

There are simply too many factors to account for; it makes the risk statistics for an individual hard to gauge. I feel much safer blasting in on my 100 horsepower motorcycle than riding a bicycle in the margins amid the sticks and broken glass with distracted drivers whizzing by, and with 35 years and 300,000 miles of motorcycling under my belt I’m probably right. Yet others call ’em “murdercycles” and that riders must have a death wish.
    The article points out health benefits, and rightly so, especially for us stateside; we lose nearly 700,000 souls to heart disease EVERY YEAR in this 42% obese country. Given the low number of people who kicketh the bucket bicycling every year, I’d posit that bicycle commuting is safer than driving a car every day, if the daily bicycle run keeps one from being otherwise sedentary.
    It’s all a matter of perception and what aspects one wishes to consider. But no question about it, our roads are suited to cars and bicycle safety in not a priority. Too many roads with speeding cars and no shoulders. Sadly in the US our philosophy is that the car is king.

OneEighth
    Participant

@phog 199242 wrote:

blasting in on my 100 horsepower motorcycle.

You, my friend, need a Speed Triple in your life.

phog
    Participant

Yes! Or the Triumph Tiger 800 XC, drool, drool. The one I have with 100 horses in an antique Honda (’83 Cx650 Turbo) that is a crazy blast. But the daily commuter is a stalwart ’05 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom (60 HP). I’m pining for a ’21 Yamaha Tenere 700, the object of my lusty desire (along with the KTM 790 Adventure) but as a practical fella who is also a cheapskate I refuse to order either one or the other until the Suzuki dies. It flat-out refuses to do so…. most reliable bike ever.
    I commute by bicycle only one-way (10 miles) maybe once a week, I should motivate myself to do it more often.
    Yes, the Tenere is the one; smaller, lighter, cheaper than the bigger adventure bikes, but all aces in performance. One day, one day…..

Steve O
    Participant

Whoever wrote the headline did not read the article. They got it backwards!

When cyclists were compared with all other commuters, they showed a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease like heart attacks and stroke, lower risk of first cancer diagnosis and lower risk of death overall.
    “What we’re saying is that if 1,000 people who don’t currently cycle to work change their minds, on average over the next 10 years, we would see a total of 26 injuries that we would not have otherwise — three of which would result in hospitalization of more than a week,” said Paul Welsh, a senior lecturer at Institute of Cardiovascular & Medical Sciences at Glasgow University.

But, he added, “The benefit is 15 fewer cancers, four fewer heart attacks or stroke and three fewer deaths.”

26 injuries, 3 serious
    v.
    21 lifestyle diseases, 3 DEATHS

You choose.

OneEighth
    Participant

For what it’s worth, all of my serious injuries (multiple concussions, broken collarbone, cracked vertebrae, wounds requiring stitches) have all resulted from bicycle accidents rather than motorcycle accidents (and I’ve had a few of them over the decades, too, including getting run over by an electrician’s van—which left me sore and slightly bruised but otherwise fine).

Different levels of protective gear factor into both mitigating injury and feeling unbreakable while on the moto, but the thing that impacts my comparative sense of safety on the moto versus the bicycle is my ability to stay ahead of traffic and really take the lane in a way that most motorists won’t contest.

And, to Steve‘s point, I simply accept the risks inherent in either activity and focus on what I get out of it. Am guessing all the other folks on the trail do the same basic risk/reward calculation and decide that bicycling is worth it.

arlcxrider
    Participant

@OneEighth 199259 wrote:

For what it’s worth, all of my serious injuries (multiple concussions, broken collarbone, cracked vertebrae, wounds requiring stitches) have all resulted from bicycle accidents rather than motorcycle accidents (and I’ve had a few of them over the decades, too, including getting run over by an electrician’s van—which left me sore and slightly bruised but otherwise fine).

Same here: concussion, shoulder separation, and road rash from a bicycle crash last summer. The motorcycle and I once parted company at 60 mph–bike totaled, helmet trashed, leathers and boots heavily scuffed. But I walked away with some spectacular bruises–but otherwise OK. Gear works…

joetats
    Participant

@OneEighth 199259 wrote:

the thing that impacts my comparative sense of safety on the moto versus the bicycle is my ability to stay ahead of traffic and really take the lane in a way that most motorists won’t contest.

This is a big reason that I’m considering adding an e-bike to the stable once I start commuting more regularly. The worst part of my current commute is a two mile stretch between my office and the W&OD that’s only 35 mph. There are enough lights that during rush hour it’s backed up enough to take the whole lane without holding anyone up really, but being able to put out an extra couple hundred watts to get up to speed would be nice. Sketchiest moments have been the goofs that speed up and swing over to gain a single car length.

I had a supermoto in college that would only get up to 90 or so (on the track!) but the instant acceleration controlled the surrounding traffic; you passed who you needed to and rarely got passed unless you let it happen. Having a ridiculously high ground clearance and seat height didn’t hurt either haha

ImaCynic
    Participant

@Steve O 199254 wrote:

Whoever wrote the headline did not read the article. They got it backwards!

26 injuries, 3 serious
    v.
    21 lifestyle diseases, 3 DEATHS

You choose.

Perhaps the coronavirus needs to factored in now. Wonder how that would skew the odds as going to work now can potentially kill you.

bentbike33
    Participant

@ImaCynic 199286 wrote:

Perhaps the coronavirus needs to factored in now. Wonder how that would skew the odds as going to work now can potentially kill you.

I don’t know. If you keep your cycling kit on all day that should help with social distancing at work.

ImaCynic
    Participant

@bentbike33 199294 wrote:

I don’t know. If you keep your cycling kit on all day that should help with social distancing at work.

Please do so and report back. Actually, you just gave me an idea for an all-purpose vaccine!

joetats
    Participant

@ImaCynic 199295 wrote:

Please do so and report back. Actually, you just gave me an idea for an all-purpose vaccine!

Excellent birth control too!

SarahBee
    Participant

Headline should read “Biking back from a movie night more dangerous than regular commuting.” I am that statistic.

ImaCynic
    Participant

@SarahBee 199394 wrote:

Headline should read “Biking back from a movie night more dangerous than regular commuting.” I am that statistic.

And this doesn’t appear to be limited to just biking ;)

bentbike33
    Participant

@ImaCynic 199295 wrote:

I will be starting the experiment tomorrow as the office fitness center, including locker rooms and showers, will be closed in compliance with Mayor Bowser’s order.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.