Bike to Work Day on May 19th Registration

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2017 Bike to Work Day on May 19th Registration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Judd
    Participant

Bike to Work Day Registration is now open. It’s May 19th this year.

http://www.biketoworkmetrodc.org/

fxbooks
    Participant

I am so bummed we will be out of town this year. 2016 was my first ever Bike to Work day, and I was really looking forward to this year. Darn kid graduating from college! Maybe I should skip that…OK, maybe not.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

I’m registered!

consularrider
    Participant

Anyone else interested in a Tour de Pitstops?

Sunyata
    Participant

@consularrider 157619 wrote:

I would like to hit up Crystal City before rolling to Falls Church for my volunteer duty there. If the Shirlington stop opens at 6:30, I may hit that one, too.

Bike to “Work” Day… Ha!

bobco85
    Participant

Yes, and I’ve already planned my route! This year, I plan to do:

Home (Alexandria) -> Del Ray (registered) -> Shirlington -> Crystal City -> Georgetown Waterfront -> Rosslyn -> Ballston (if I can make it in time) -> Work (Ballston)

The tricky part about doing multiple pit stops is that you have to manage the times that each will be open (e.g., Del Ray opens at 6, Shirlington opens at 6:30, Crystal City opens at 7, and Georgetown Waterfront opens at 7:30, so I chose that order), so that makes route-planning more complex. Also, it means waking up EXTRA early and having made arrangements for a late arrival to work. Also, if you’re visiting multiple pit stops, don’t take very much swag so that there will be more for others.

FYI for those planning multi-stop rides, here’s what I did in previous years. It might help you with planning your routes.

• 2016: Home (Alexandria) -> Oxon Hill (National Harbor) -> Old Town Alexandria -> Carlyle -> Del Ray -> Shirlington -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • 2015: Home (Arlington) -> Shirlington (new that year) -> Penrose Square -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • 2014: Home (Arlington) -> Rosslyn -> East Falls Church -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • 2013: Home (Arlington) -> Rosslyn -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • Here’s a playlist of the videos I made for each year’s BTWD: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIwZLzKYvhjqJt8JNys2pg3KKitk9K-ns

Bike to Work Day is an always exciting and enjoyable event, and it’s well-worth waking up early.

Judd
    Participant

I am. I was thinking about taking the day off work so that I could celebrate bike commuter Christmas more thoroughly.

consularrider
    Participant

@Judd 157650 wrote:

I am. I was thinking about taking the day off work so that I could celebrate bike commuter Christmas more thoroughly.

yeah, I’m taking the whole week off. :p

bentbike33
    Participant

@Judd 157650 wrote:

Guy I used to work with rode to work every day all year except Bike-to-Work Day. “Too many amateurs,” he said.

streetsmarts
    Participant

@Judd 157650 wrote:

I was also thinking of taking the day off. Maybe a bike fun Club ride after all the pitstops???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sunyata
    Participant

@streetsmarts 157662 wrote:

I was also thinking of taking the day off. Maybe a bike fun Club ride after all the pitstops???

If I end up skipping Dirt Fest this year, I would be down for a Bicycle Fun Club ride after the pit stops. I always take BTWD off from work because of Dirt Fest, but it is conflicting with Kanza training (this will be my last big ride weekend before my taper) this year.

streetsmarts
    Participant

@bobco85 157637 wrote:

Yes, and I’ve already planned my route! This year, I plan to do:

Home (Alexandria) -> Del Ray (registered) -> Shirlington -> Crystal City -> Georgetown Waterfront -> Rosslyn -> Ballston (if I can make it in time) -> Work (Ballston)

The tricky part about doing multiple pit stops is that you have to manage the times that each will be open (e.g., Del Ray opens at 6, Shirlington opens at 6:30, Crystal City opens at 7, and Georgetown Waterfront opens at 7:30, so I chose that order), so that makes route-planning more complex. Also, it means waking up EXTRA early and having made arrangements for a late arrival to work. Also, if you’re visiting multiple pit stops, don’t take very much swag so that there will be more for others.

FYI for those planning multi-stop rides, here’s what I did in previous years. It might help you with planning your routes.

• 2016: Home (Alexandria) -> Oxon Hill (National Harbor) -> Old Town Alexandria -> Carlyle -> Del Ray -> Shirlington -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • 2015: Home (Arlington) -> Shirlington (new that year) -> Penrose Square -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • 2014: Home (Arlington) -> Rosslyn -> East Falls Church -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • 2013: Home (Arlington) -> Rosslyn -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • Here’s a playlist of the videos I made for each year’s BTWD: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIwZLzKYvhjqJt8JNys2pg3KKitk9K-ns

Bike to Work Day is an always exciting and enjoyable event, and it’s well-worth waking up early.

Your route this year sounds good. I have only been to the Old Town pit stop before. Sounds like fun!!

Judd
    Participant

@streetsmarts 157662 wrote:

This can probably be arranged.

Emm
    Participant

Depending on how my Department runs the budget cycle, I am hoping to take the day off and hit up as many pit stops as I can. I would happily join for a fun club ride after! I’m a fan of Crystal City and Rosslyn especially. I always get the best swag there. I want to check our Shirlington this year too since Best Buns is delicious, and they’ll hopefully help sponsor it again.

I hope Arlington does another BTWD happy hour. The one last year was fun, and I love my commemorative glass.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

Last year, I managed Naval Support Activity Bethesda > National Institutes of Health Bldg One > Rockville – Town Center > Rockville – Twinbrook > Bethesda > Friendship Heights > GoldenTriangle – Farragut Square > National Geographic Society. And then Columbia Heights in the afternoon. Alas, this year, I actually need to get to work!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.