Bike to work day 2012 – registration up now

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2012 Bike to work day 2012 – registration up now

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    baiskeli
    Participant

@americancyclo 16448 wrote:

I heard that the Freedom Plaza stop wasn’t going to be as much of a focus this year. I’ve been leading in a convoy from Falls Church for the past few years, but I always hear that the Rosslyn Pit Stop is way better. I may have to make extra time to stop there this year. All the newbies can cross the river by themselves, right?

I just stop at both. Two free bananas is better than one free banana, I always say.

eminva
    Participant

@MCL1981 16428 wrote:

I’m confused. Not a single one of these “pit stops” is on a trail…. you know… where everyone rides their bike…. Am I missing something obvious here?

I know you are not a Virginia commuter, but the Vienna and Dunn Loring pit stops are right on the trail, and the Falls Church pit stop looks like it will be, too. And the Rosslyn pit stop is right across from the trail; can’t miss it.

@americancyclo 16448 wrote:

I’ve been leading in a convoy from Falls Church for the past few years, but I always hear that the Rosslyn Pit Stop is way better. I may have to make extra time to stop there this year. All the newbies can cross the river by themselves, right?

You heard right. Rosslyn rocks. The first year I lived in VA, I joined the Vienna convoy to learn the way into town. Our leader stopped at Rosslyn and gave us a spot to meet 15 minutes later if we wanted to continue on with him into DC and ultimately to Freedom Plaza. You could do it that way.

@vvill 16471 wrote:

Although I lost one of my goDCgo ones a couple months and today saw it on someone else’s bike on the rack at work. I’m 99% sure it’s the same one, because there’s the same grease stain on it that I made. Glad to see it’s being used.

What a hoot! That’s a cyclist who is in desperate need of Bike to Work Day swag. I hope he or she takes advantage of several pit stops.

Looking forward to multiple free breakfasts,

Liz

JimF22003
    Participant

The only BTWD location I’ve ever visited was the one in Tysons Corner last year. Kind of hairy getting to it. Getting the five blocks from my office to the BTWD spot was sketchier than my 7 mile ride in from Annandale… I’m not sure what this location is supposed to be close to, but it wasn’t anywhere close to where I would ever ride a bike :)

Will probably visit again this year though, because it was fun and the people were great. I think I won an inner tube too, so schwag is always appreciated :)

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

@jrenaut 16453 wrote:

I’ve been hoping that this would be a good way to finally get the Occupy people out of the Freedom Plaza.

You would also have to steam-clean the plaza first.

(Not making a political statement, just an obvious statement about the hygiene at that location.)

mrkenny83
    Participant

Yay! 2 stops are on my route! Registered @ Merrifield

americancyclo
    Participant

@PotomacCyclist 16539 wrote:

You would also have to steam-clean the plaza first.

(Not making a political statement, just an obvious statement about the hygiene at that location.)

Maybe that’s why the Freedom Plaza stop is only open for an hour this year.

SurlyTed1187
    Participant

@pfunkallstar 16398 wrote:

I like how the photo on the bike to work page is a solid 50/50 split of “helmet” v. “no helmet.” +1 for realism.

At first i was going to comment how the riders are all riding the wrong way in the bike lane…. But then I noticed its a two-way bike lane.

SurlyTed1187
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 16478 wrote:

Bright Lime Green! It’s a fun color. They coordinate with the website colors and the posters.

I like it too. I think I’m going to get one printed(unless I can buy a printed one) to add to my gallery…er room.

Jason
    Participant

That blows, the freedom plaza stop is only a block from my work, but the rosslyn one is a short detour.

txgoonie
    Participant

Ya’ll are inspiring me to hit more than one stop this year!

Last year Crystal City did a Bike to Work Week and awarded the folks who attended the most days with a pretty sweet jersey. I’m slightly embarrassed to say that it was my first actual cycling jersey, so I was pretty stoked :-) No word yet on whether they’re doing that again this year.

consularrider
    Participant

@txgoonie 17361 wrote:

Ya’ll are inspiring me to hit more than one stop this year!

Last year Crystal City did a Bike to Work Week and awarded the folks who attended the most days with a pretty sweet jersey. I’m slightly embarrassed to say that it was my first actual cycling jersey, so I was pretty stoked :-) No word yet on whether they’re doing that again this year.

I didn’t learn about Crystal City’s week long event last year until I showed up on BTWD, and I had ridden by on the MVT every day that week (and almost every other work day as well)! What was the jersey?

dbb
    Participant

@txgoonie 17361 wrote:

I was pretty bummed that I passed through the Crystal City checkpoint an hour before they opened each day, reducing my chances of a jersey to zip. This year, I will take annual leave to get into the competition!

SpokeGrenadeSR
    Participant

I found a new-to-me corner of a parking garage at work today, and I was excited to see a large 5-8 Bike to Work Day banner hanging by some bike racks that I didn’t know existed.

Then I had a good laugh.

phot.jpg

Terpfan
    Participant

Too bad it’s in May, evidently fatal car crashes are up on tax day so I was thinking they should make bike to work on April 15th to try to drop that number:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-10/death-and-taxes-collide-as-fatal-crashes-mount-on-irs-filing-day.html

DaveK
    Participant

It looks like the occupiers will be moving to McPherson Square shortly, so after a few oil drums of disinfectant, Bike to Work Day gets Freedom Plaza all to itself. Hope it’s windy so all the speeches get rained on again by the fountain, that was fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.