August 2023 Road and Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions August 2023 Road and Trail Conditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    DrP
    Participant

Custis Trail is now clear of all the fallen trees between Rosslyn and W&OD. Thank you, Arlington!

MVT is now clear from Rosslyn to Humpback bridge (as far as I went today). Thank you, Friends of the MVT! (and Maybe NPS too! It wasn’t 100% clear from Judd’s message if the Trollheim tree that was cleared out of the way was just the Friends or if NPS did more, but it is clear.)

So much faster to get through all this than Sunday at 8:30am – and great that I didn’t have to lift my work-pannier loaded bike over things).

DCAKen
    Participant

As of this morning, Rock Creek Park still has one downed tree completely blocking the trail just south of the Massachusetts Avenue bridge. You can get around it on the grass. The zoo bypass was still closed this morning, so you still have to use the tunnel. There are two other trees down that only partially block the trail (near the Q Street Bridge and between the zoo entrance and Porter Street)

Judd
    Participant

@DrP 226044 wrote:

Custis Trail is now clear of all the fallen trees between Rosslyn and W&OD. Thank you, Arlington!

MVT is now clear from Rosslyn to Humpback bridge (as far as I went today). Thank you, Friends of the MVT! (and Maybe NPS too! It wasn’t 100% clear from Judd’s message if the Trollheim tree that was cleared out of the way was just the Friends or if NPS did more, but it is clear.)

So much faster to get through all this than Sunday at 8:30am – and great that I didn’t have to lift my work-pannier loaded bike over things).

All Friends of MVT this time. NPS was working to get the north Parkway reopened. NPS reported 250-325 trees needed work that required 100 dump truck loads. We had volunteers ride the trail Sunday and remove stuff. Mostly clear now, except for Bridge 15. A very large tree fell across it today and it is currently taped off. Extent of damage won’t be known until the tree is removed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30839[/ATTACH]

Judd
    Participant

GWMP sent out a statement this morning on storm recovery.

kwarkentien
    Participant

@Judd 226047 wrote:

All Mostly clear now, except for Bridge 15. /QUOTE]

For those of us who don’t have the super-decoder ring for bridge numbers on the MVT, can you tell us exactly where “Bridge 15” is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judd
    Participant

@kwarkentien 226050 wrote:

@Judd 226047 wrote:

All Mostly clear now, except for Bridge 15. /QUOTE]

For those of us who don’t have the super-decoder ring for bridge numbers on the MVT, can you tell us exactly where “Bridge 15” is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s between Bridge 14 and Bridge 16. :P

It’s the bridge between Collingwood and Waynewood. It can be bypassed by taking Boulevard. The tree currently extends to the edge of the Parkway so, best to hop on Boulevard instead of darting into the Parkway briefly.

Google Maps Street View

consularrider
    Participant

@Judd 226047 wrote:

All Friends of MVT this time. NPS was working to get the north Parkway reopened. NPS reported 250-325 trees needed work that required 100 dump truck loads. We had volunteers ride the trail Sunday and remove stuff. Mostly clear now, except for Bridge 15. A very large tree fell across it today and it is currently taped off. Extent of damage won’t be known until the tree is removed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30839[/ATTACH]

It’s still there and looks like there’s significant damage

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30840[/ATTACH]

huskerdont
    Participant

On the Custis dip along 66 approaching Roslyn, note that the soundwall that was dangling dangerously close to the trail after the tree crushed it has now fallen completely into the trail. It’s at the very bottom of the dip so could be a bit sketchy if hit at speed. Luckily since Arlington didn’t clean up the tree debris, that debris washed into the drain and clogged it, causing a large puddle to form at the bottom. That’s what slowed me down, at least, so that I didn’t hit the wall at full speed.

I thought it looked a bit too big for one person to move, so rather than make things worse, I left it. At least where it is it is down flat on the trail.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30841[/ATTACH]

DrP
    Participant

Tree down across MVT south of Trollheim and just before the cement bridge across the canal (where cars often go over and, I think, NPS mowing vehicle slip). Not huge and you can go around, but that means up the steep hill. Luckily there is currently grass there, but likely to get torn up and muddy soon.

JustinW
    Participant

Tree down on the trail alongside Washington Blvd. [ATTACH=CONFIG]30842[/ATTACH] Can lift bike over on the blvd side of the trail. Reported to ArlCo.

Judd
    Participant

@DrP 226060 wrote:

Tree down across MVT south of Trollheim and just before the cement bridge across the canal (where cars often go over and, I think, NPS mowing vehicle slip). Not huge and you can go around, but that means up the steep hill. Luckily there is currently grass there, but likely to get torn up and muddy soon.

Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail conveniently had a scheduled volunteer event in Rosslyn tonight and were able to pop down the trail to clear this tree. Thanks for the report DrP. We otherwise would have tried to go that way with a fully loaded bike trailer and getting around it would have been doable but difficult.

DrP
    Participant

@Judd 226062 wrote:

Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail conveniently had a scheduled volunteer event in Rosslyn tonight and were able to pop down the trail to clear this tree. Thanks for the report DrP. We otherwise would have tried to go that way with a fully loaded bike trailer and getting around it would have been doable but difficult.

You are very welcome and I thank you very much for clearing it.

DrP
    Participant

@JustinW 226061 wrote:

Tree down on the trail alongside Washington Blvd. [ATTACH=CONFIG]30842[/ATTACH] Can lift bike over on the blvd side of the trail. Reported to ArlCo.

It was cleared out by the evening commute home. Thank you for reporting it.

Starduster
    Participant

Quick update to the ANC-Columbia Pike detour: They are currently routing bike traffic along the cemetery wall on Southgate. Minor improvement, for now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30848[/ATTACH]

consularrider
    Participant

@consularrider 226058 wrote:

It’s still there and looks like there’s significant damage

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30840[/ATTACH]

It was gone by today. badly damaged railing on both sides and one broken deck slat, maybe more. couldn’t tell about damage to the understructure

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30849[/ATTACH]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.