Arlington 2019 Paving Map

Our Community Forums Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee Arlington 2019 Paving Map

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    zsionakides
    Participant

@scoot 188928 wrote:

If space is an issue, a road diet with median removal is a nice solution. I have never seen any traffic congestion going up that hill. As long as thru-vehicles can get around those who are waiting to make left turns, there is no need for a second thru lane. We could add the second vehicle lane in the downhill direction near the bottom of the hill to maintain southbound capacity through the signal at 4MR.

I oppose converting this bike lane into any sort of two-way facility (e.g. a cycletrack or MUP). Adding high-speed downhill bicycles to the mix on that side of the road would be extremely dangerous.

I don’t think you could road diet that part of Walter Reed as rush hour traffic is pretty heavy all the way to Columbia Pike. Getting rid of the median allows for a wide enough PBL going uphill (say 6-8’ wide) and a narrower PBL going downhill.

If you get rid of the parking on the northbound side and keep the median, then there’s an 11-12’ wide facility. A cycle track would be the only thing that makes sense, otherwise it will look like a gold plated bike lane if it goes one way.

zsionakides
    Participant

@dasgeh 188918 wrote:

My complete list of streets to consider:

1. Little Falls
    2. McKinley/Ohio
    3. Patrick Henry
    4. Wilson (west of “N Arlington Mill Drive”)
    5. N Park Drive
    6. Lorcom
    7. Military
    8. Quincy
    9. 7th St N
    10. N Highland St (south of Key Blvd)
    11. Carlin Springs
    12. 5th Road South (connecting into FFX)
    13. S Walter Reed, particularly up Superman Hill

I would also consider from that map:

Boundary channel from Long Bridge to the connector from the MVT
    Oak St in Rosslyn for PBLs to connect with Wilson and Key
    Randolph Rd in Shirlington – PBLs or a cycle track to replace the current bad bike lanes
    Campbell in Shirlington would be nice for a cycle track, but a row of parking would have to be taken.

dbb
    Participant

the proposal to pave Boundary Channel under 395 is appreciated. You could get lost in the potholes in that dark tunnel. Hoping they clean the debris off the sidewalks as part of the project

Tania
    Participant

@zsionakides 188923 wrote:

Military Rd should definitely have PBLs even with the few driveways, and Lorcom Ln should put PBLs in strategically as well.

Lorcom’s speed limit is a joke, especially heading east (down the hill) after Military. It’s very similar to Gallows where the speed limit is completely ignored and cars frequently encroach into the bike lanes.

huskerdont
    Participant

@scoot 188913 wrote:

Not sure why this street has a 30MPH speed limit, but it should be redesigned somehow to support 25 instead.

Not a bad idea, though it seems okay-ish at 30 to me. Maybe that’s because I remember biking on it when it was four lanes. Felt like biking on a highway.

dasgeh
    Participant

@zsionakides 188933 wrote:

I would also consider from that map:

Boundary channel from Long Bridge to the connector from the MVT
    Oak St in Rosslyn for PBLs to connect with Wilson and Key
    Randolph Rd in Shirlington – PBLs or a cycle track to replace the current bad bike lanes
    Campbell in Shirlington would be nice for a cycle track, but a row of parking would have to be taken.

Thanks for these.

Re: Boundary Channel, there’s this project, which will install a sidepath that connects to a new trail to the east side Humpback Bridge underpass (in other words, a really nice alternative to the wooden bridge route). But I’ll bring up the possibility of bike lanes in the interim.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.