Your latest bike purchase?

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment Your latest bike purchase?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,673 total)
  • Author
    dkel
    Participant

What was the last bike you bought? Why did you buy it?

My last bike purchase was a Cannondale Quick 2 that I got at the end of November. In September I had gotten my old 2001 Trek hybrid out of the back of the garage to start commuting by bike, and after really getting into it, I realized I needed something a little more dialed-in for the rigors of commuting. The Quick was a perfect choice, because it is much nicer than what I had been riding, but similar in style: a hybrid, upright riding position, very stable handling, and generally familiar territory for a newbie like me.

So here’s why I’ve started this thread: five months and 2000 miles after my Quick purchase, I’m starting to think I need another upgrade (I’m really looking at the Surly Straggler, but that’s for another thread…really, really looking hard at the Straggler…with jealous eyes and a covetous heart…). Am I crazy to want a different bike so soon? I’ve learned a lot recently: much from doing all that riding, and at least as much from being involved in this forum. I’d like to think I’m being sensible and purposeful about my needs, based on all I’ve learned, and not just succumbing to n+1 frenzy. So tell me: why did you get your last bike? What did you get?

jrenaut
    Participant

My last bike was my only bike, my Bianchi Volpe, which I got because some [expletive deleted] cabbie u-turned on PA Ave through me and totalled my Giant Defy 3. It was a better purchase – the Giant was my first bike purchase since I was 12 or so, and my wants/needs had changed a lot. The Volpe is a much better bike for the riding I typically do (though for an entry level aluminum road bike, which is what it claims to be, the Giant did very well).

My next bike will almost defintely be a cargo bike. I’m leaning towards a Yuba Mundo now (see other thread) but haven’t made a decision. After that I’m coveting a fixed gear (in particular the Bianchi Pista on the floor at Proteus if they haven’t sold it yet).

I think it’s perfectly natural to want something else that quickly – as you ride more and get a better feel for how you like to ride, you get a better idea of what bike works for that kind of riding.

americancyclo
    Participant

My most recent purchase was almost a year ago because my knees were beginning to hurt from towing my daughter in the trailer with a single speed that was a few sizes too small. I needed something with gears that would get me to the metro and back and also tow my daughter. The other requirement was cheap so I got a used Cannondale Bad Boy. It’s not glamorous nor a dream bike but it’s done very well so far and is about equal in cost per mile with my carbon road bike.

dasgeh
    Participant

My last bike purchase was in July of last year, and was the e-bakfiets. We got it because we didn’t have a cargo bike, and it is super-amazingly-awesome and our second was getting big enough to ride it (in a carseat strapped to the box) and because it literally changed our lives. Not really applicable to you.

More applicable to you: I’ve had a lot of life changes in the last few years, which have affected cycling (mostly around kids and pregnancy). Those have meant new bikes. But aside from those, I’ve learned more about what I like and what possibilities are out there to do on a bike (namely all weather riding). I’ve also refined my goals and expectations for riding. These evolving revelations have meant new bikes. Sounds like that falls in your camp. FWIW, the pace of my new bike acquisitions has slowed as I’ve gotten closer to exactly the arsenal I want.

Oh, and if you like the Surly Straggler, you should try the Salsa Fargo. It’s AMAZING.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

My last purchase was a fixed gear. I bought a pretty cheap one, just so I wouldn’t feel bad if I didn’t like it, but now I’m hooked. My next purchase probably will be a higher end fixed gear frame and components. I really wanted to try fixed to mix up my riding. I’ve crossed just about everything off my cycling bucket list, so I wanted to try something that would be a new challenge and add (or subtract, in this case) a new element to riding. I also like the ease of maintenance and the overall simpler act of riding with one gear. Other than the upgraded FG frame that I want, I can’t say I care about too much else (for now, at least). I find myself utilizing my geared “utility” bike (fenders, rack, etc…) less and less and just going with my FG for just about everything. So I actually may get ride of that bike (the Bianchi) and convert my wife’s old disc-frame hybrid to the utility/ice-and-snow bike.

All that said, I went through a pretty quick progression of upgrades…hybrid to road bike, then adding a CX commuter, then a carbon road bike, within about 1.5 years. Then I went about a year before adding the fixed gear, and it’ll be this fall before I save up my allowance for a new fixed gear frame. After that, I may just tinker and work on component upgrades…we’ll see.

Steve O
    Participant

I bought my Fuji steel-frame road bike I use for most everything last August to replace my stolen Fuji road bike. That one was about 8-10 years old I think. Had to outfit with new fenders, rack, lights, etc., since all that was stolen with the bike, too. My pedals are SPD on one side, flat on the other, so I can either wear biking shoes or tennis shoes/sandals.

My other bike is a 1961 Western Flyer 3-speed I’ve had for 6 or so years. Cool vintage, but I’d love it more if the gearing were a little lower.

I try to stay away from n+1, but there are 3 bikes I think about (not in this order):
    – A speedy carbon frame bike for centuries and the Tri360 ride, etc. Although I already hold my own even with my heavier, steel-frame road/commuter, I wonder how much quicker I would feel on a bike built more for speed.
    – A really practical upright commuter/town bike (to supplant my 3-speed–but I’d have to keep it just for vintage value). Baskets, rack, fenders, etc., maybe internal 7-speed hub or something. Comfortable & easy to ride for all the around town, getting groceries, swinging by the beer garden types of rides.
    – A fixie, just because everyone who has ridden one reports positive experiences.

But, as a friend of mine once advised, “Just lie down and the feeling will go away.”

Okay, also someday I would like to try mountain biking. Never done it, but it seems like lots of fun. So that’s one more bike to add to the list.

cyclingfool
    Participant

My most recent bike purchase was a 21″ 1995 Trek 830 MTB frame, purchased about a year ago. I bought it because my beloved Surly LHT had been stolen from the basement of my apartment building’s basement. I have since built up that old MTB frame into a worthy commuting and touring frame. A front pannier rack and a dynamo hub and light setup are all that separates my current setup from my ideal setup… that and a fresh powder coat, some custom decals, maybe some disc brakes, and the cachet and allure of the Surly name. I guess there’s always something to think about in terms of upgrades.

My next bike purchase is likely going to be either a 26″ wheel Surly (Disc?) (Long Haul?) Trucker. In either case, Surly frame or no, my other next bike purchase would be an Xtracycle kit and a decent used MTB frame for another custom build. And when I win the lottery or finally make it on Jeopardy and feel particularly spendy, a recumbent touring trike.

Steve
    Participant

@cyclingfool 83719 wrote:

a 26″ wheel Surly (Disc?)Trucker.

My most recent purchase was a 26″ Disc Trucker that I purchased last June. I bought it for a whole host of reasons. I wanted disc brakes and wide tire clearance. I preferred it to be a steel frame. I wanted it a little more upright. I wanted something solid enough to pull a trailer, because I knew we would be wanting kids. The DT just fit the bill. In that price range, Surly seemed to put nice components in the right places, and less where it made sense. I love the bike, and it got me thru the terrible winter months.

There are lots of other bikes I want as well. I think it’s normal and great. I’ve gone from a Giant entry level bike to a Cervelo S1 to a beat up fixie to an ’87 Cannondale S/T to the Disc Trucker (never more than two at once, but I think I’ll always own at least two). Your understanding changes, your desires and goals change, your uses change, and so you want new bikes. I’m not allowed any new bikes because of space limitations right now, but once we move, I’ll be looking to add bikes to the stable.

Geoff
    Participant

My last purchase, a year ago, is a carbon frame Scattante bought for centuries and similar long rides. Buying it took some soul-searching; carbon is very strong for its intended use (Boeing and Airbus use it extensively!) but doesn’t deal well with abuse. I wanted to be sure I could take care of it properly. So far, the bike and I are happy with each other.

My commuter is a steel frame roadbike. I bought it years ago with the thought I would do more multi-day trips like in my youth. That hasn’t happened yet but the traits that would have made it good for touring make it good for the commute.

My third bike is a cheap mountain bike for various off road rides.

I am thinking about getting something cheap and used to keep permanently on the indoor trainer.

KayakCyndi
    Participant

You people are so sensible. My last bike purchase was my Volagi Viaje and I bought it because I wanted it and I could! I had (actually still have) a perfectly fine cross bike but the Viaje was prettier. It had swoopy lines, disc brakes and could fit big fat tires. The all-purpose, take-it-exploring marketing hooked me. I loved the idea of a bike that you could ride everywhere without worrying too much about it.

6500 miles of road riding, commuting, gravel grinding, and touring later, I haven’t regretted that purchase for a single second.

When people ask me about which kayak to buy or if they should buy one I always offer up the same advice. Just go get it. Paddling (or in this case riding) is awesome and you’ll learn by doing more of it. If what you purchased the first time doesn’t work out for some reason, so be it. Sell it and move on. At least you got on the water (or trail) instead of endlessly pondering the options!

Phatboing
    Participant

2000 miles is as good a time as any to beginning coveting the next bike.

My last purchase was a Salsa Colossal Ti, because speed.

A longer-winded explanation is that all through Freezing Saddles, I noticed that I was adjusting all my bikes for a more aggressive fit, so I decided that my body’s changing and while I don’t fully understand these changes, a fast bike for riding fast would help. My original plans for a swift pavement bike went …. in a different direction:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5403[/ATTACH]

(this is now my all-thing-doer)

It helped that I don’t have a car and could thus shamelessly rationalize myself into that purchase.

@KayakCyndi 83735 wrote:

6500 miles of road riding, commuting, gravel grinding, and touring later…

O.o

How long have you had it? It feels like not very long ago I was watching Volagi’s very first promo video for the Viaje.

I did try the Viaje and Bikenetic, and was very bummed that the fit was all wonky, because it’s so pretty.

vvill
    Participant

The last bike I bought was in Nov 2013 – I got a proper SS/FG bike. I’d been riding a lot of miles (mostly commutes) single speed using my old hybrid firstly with a RD used as a chain tensioner, and then with a nicely built wheel based on an older generation White Industries ENO eccentric hub ($100 from craigslist) but I decided I wanted something with horizontal dropouts (this also has 120mm rear spacing). I also wanted something that was nice lugged steel and a more classic (but not retrogrouchy) look – I plan to own it for ages, and the bike is about 20 lbs stock, which is about as light as my other bikes. All my other bikes are aluminium (or aluminium/carbon mix) and as much as I love how they ride, I’ve always preferred round straight tubes aesthetically. (Wabi cycles is run by one of the original founders of Performance Bike, so it’s basically steel SS/FG bikes at close to Performance Bike value levels but more personal service.)

The only possible regret so far is that based on riding so far I’m not a huge fan of all the stock build components. They are good value, but I will probably end up upgrading bits and pieces, so I probably should’ve just bought the frameset and wheels: although that would’ve cost the same, so… whatever, I guess. I do find I tend to “protect” this bike more – I don’t really ride it in the rain and I’ve hardly commuted on it because I don’t want the paint to all chipped up on racks, so I guess I like it too much?

jrenaut
    Participant

I have found, as I add more things to my Volpe to make it a better commuter (rack and panniers, fenders, etc), that while i love the Volpe, I’m really craving something very simple. Hence the fixie, which will have a front brake and a rear blinkie and NOTHING ELSE.

KayakCyndi
    Participant

@Phatboing 83736 wrote:

How long have you had it? It feels like not very long ago I was watching Volagi’s very first promo video for the Viaje.

I did try the Viaje and Bikenetic, and was very bummed that the fit was all wonky, because it’s so pretty.

First ride was January 5, 2013. To say I’ve had fun with that bike would be the worlds biggest understatement. The fit wasn’t wonky for me at all. Fits me perfectly — not entirely sure what that says about me.

Phatboing
    Participant

@KayakCyndi 83741 wrote:

First ride was January 5, 2013. To say I’ve had fun with that bike would be the worlds biggest understatement. The fit wasn’t wonky for me at all. Fits me perfectly — not entirely sure what that says about me.

Awesome.

The wonky fit is all me, I’m sure. I fit on short bikes with long-ish top tubes, and road bikes like that are bloody hard to find. I also cannot be trusted with generous tire clearances or utilitarian things like rack braze-ons, because fat tires and racks and thing-schlepping would be inevitable (case in point).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,673 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.