Wrapped around the axle

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment Maintenance Wrapped around the axle

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    streetsmarts
    Participant

Had anyone else had a bungee cord (which was attached to the rack) come loose while riding and wrap around the axle?

Well it happened to me tonight. I used to like to keep my u-lock on the rack..sometimes under those bungee cords.
    After tonight’s debacle (i eventually had to take the back wheel off and oh so carefully undo the stuck bungee cord. But it was really stuck..came off while riding in traffic near Dupont Cir. trying to avoid a car ) I worry about ever using bungee cords!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jrenaut
    Participant

I had to go down to Chinatown and rescue the wife from this exact thing about a year ago. It was not fun.

DismalScientist
    Participant

I have had that problem before. If you didn’t have such massive quads getting it out afterwards would be easier.

Judd
    Participant

@streetsmarts 174640 wrote:

Had anyone else had a bungee cord (which was attached to the rack) come loose while riding and wrap around the axle?

Well it happened to me tonight. I used to like to keep my u-lock on the rack..sometimes under those bungee cords.
    After tonight’s debacle (i eventually had to take the back wheel off and oh so carefully undo the stuck bungee cord. But it was really stuck..came off while riding in traffic near Dupont Cir. trying to avoid a car ) I worry about ever using bungee cords!

Yikes! I’m glad it didn’t cause a crash. I stick my u-lock into the rack and have had it slip out into the spokes before. I think I’ve seen a couple of folks that have some heavy duty Velcro strips that they use instead of bungees if you’re worried about it happening again.

Vicegrip
    Participant

Had a 10 foot long string get all gobbed up and shredded in the rear end once. Had to sit and saw it out with a chipped rock cave man style. I carry a single edge razor blade in my tire patch kit ever since.

drevil
    Participant

Do you usually hold the lock on the top, like this? I usually drop it in the slot, then use a toe strap (or Voile) around the lowest point of the lock and the bottom hook on the rack to pull the lock down. Easier to do, less straps/cords, and most importantly, less clangy! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16916[/ATTACH]

streetsmarts
    Participant

@jrenaut 174641 wrote:

I had to go down to Chinatown and rescue the wife from this exact thing about a year ago. It was not fun.

SO GLAD I’m not alone! Thanks Jon. So It happened at a busy intersection in traffic on my way to an appointment. Tried and tried to undo, locked it at Dupont Cir. (thank goodness it was fine 1 hr later); then spent 30 mins taking off the wheel, the hook actually got stuck on part of the derailleur – what a job!

streetsmarts
    Participant

I happened to have small kids’ scissors with me (because knitting!), and of course they could not cut the bungee. Plus it was sooo stuck! Might keep a good knife with me now (and of course have to remember to take it out cause – security)

streetsmarts
    Participant

oh that’s perfect drevil~!! thanks! Actually, last night, after removing both bungees, I put it through the top like this.. first clang, and then BAM it popped out! i’ll try that!

bobco85
    Participant

Aw, man, that sucks to hear! I’m glad you were able to untangle it. I’ve had an evil raspberry (I love raspberries, btw) vine with thorns get wrapped around one axle, and it was a pain (both figuratively and literally) to unwrap it. (Also, this is why I bought those pruning shears)

Might I suggest getting a cargo net and/or geartie as opposed to a bungee cord? I’ve had really good experience with using both, and they don’t take up much space. Here are the ones that I use (I highly recommend the longer gearties, I’ve used them for so many things):
    Cargo net: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/bike-tools-transport/packs-racks/transit-cargo-net-00-5910
    Geartie: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SHBNE6G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P.S. (thought of this just before I submitted the comment) – you could try storing the bungee cord in a cheap small bag (sandwich bag, mesh, etc.). That way, it wouldn’t fall and/or get tangled in anything.

Steve O
    Participant

Has anyone else had a bungee cord (which was attached to the rack) come loose while riding and wrap around the axle?

Because I am mostly unteachable, this has happened to me I think 3 times. Take a look at one end of my bungee at Velo tonight. Because I’m cheap, I refuse to replace it just because the end is wickedly malformed.
    I carry my lock like this:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16923[/ATTACH]

Easy on/off this way. Also, in the rare event it is needed as a weapon (thankfully, never so far), it is readily accessible.

huskerdont
    Participant

Heh, the bounce has gone from his bungee.

I don’t mix bungees and bikies myself.

streetsmarts
    Participant

OK truth is, I must also be unteachable (unlearnable?) because yes this happened once before. The thing is – I should find a picture – I used to keep my u-lock on the top of the rack laying down, under the bungee cords (2 of em!), Kinda like yours but different.

So then I switched to hanging the Ulock in the rack (a la Drevil), but not securing it. but the bungees helped it stay in there – until they didn’t.

Now I’m afraid of bungees. :(

Will keep one in my bag when needed, not attached to the rack!

But i’ll keep them on hand for

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.