W&OD bike-pedestrian crash – 5/20/21

Our Community Forums Crashes, Close Calls and Incidents W&OD bike-pedestrian crash – 5/20/21

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Alcova cyclist
    Participant

Witnessed a crash on the W&OD yesterday morning (5/20/21) around 7:15AM. Location (If I’m recalling correctly) was just west of the bridge over Route 7 in Falls Church. Weather was clear and dry.

An eastbound jogger coming towards me was being overtaken by a cyclist when the jogger took a sharp left, without looking, to enter a side trail. The cyclist had no time to react and hit the jogger. Both gentlemen went to the pavement. I was far enough away that I couldn’t hear if the cyclist had signaled verbally or with a bell, but my riding companion noted the jogger was wearing headphones, so it might not have mattered.

We stopped and confirmed both seemed ok and continued on our way. I expect they both felt a lot worse after the shock wore off – it looked like a pretty forceful collision. The bike appeared to have suffered at least some damage to the front wheel (and probably more – not like I had the chance to do a close inspection beyond helping to wheel it off the trail).

Be careful out there!

ImaCynic
    Participant

Glad to know that all parties seemed okay. I also suspect that a simple bell would have prevented this. Why isn’t it required on all bikes using the trails? Good to see that you choose to refer this incident as a “crash” rather than an “accident”.

DrP
    Participant

@ImaCynic 210810 wrote:

Glad to know that all parties seemed okay. I also suspect that a simple bell would have prevented this. Why isn’t it required on all bikes using the trails? Good to see that you choose to refer this incident as a “crash” rather than an “accident”.

Well, from experience, even using a bell this does not work if the jogger is not paying attention. A few years ago I used my bell before pulling out to pass a jogger in Rock Creek Park near the zoo (near the parking lot entrance). The jogger (and is earbuds) then turned left across the trail without looking an I just missed hitting him. A few years after that on 4MRT, I rang my bell several times, pulled out to pass and a jogger decide this was a great time to do a U-turn without looking or hearing. I grabbed my breaks, but there was a crash. Headphones/earbuds are the main issue with this.

Sunyata
    Participant

@DrP 210825 wrote:

Headphones/earbuds are the main issue with this.

I disagree. The main issue is people that are lost in their own little world where only they exist, therefore they make unpredictable moves without looking to see if their actions will affect anyone around them.

I have seen so many people in the past few months do this who are not even wearing earbuds/headphones. No amount of ringing bells or screaming “onyerleft” will knock them back into the real world.

Brett L.
    Participant

The only thing can do is that at any given point when following a runner is to assume they will pull a Crazy Ivan without warning. If they have not provided any acknowledgement of your signals, they have not heard your signals. Give them extra space and caution.

DrP
    Participant

@Sunyata 210826 wrote:

I disagree. The main issue is people that are lost in their own little world where only they exist, therefore they make unpredictable moves without looking to see if their actions will affect anyone around them.

I have seen so many people in the past few months do this who are not even wearing earbuds/headphones. No amount of ringing bells or screaming “onyerleft” will knock them back into the real world.

That is a better way to put what I meant. My point had been they were not paying attention and just did what they wanted, despite my warnings. Headphones/earbuds are one way people are not paying attention (and a big clue to me), but conversations with their buddy is another or just daydreaming. I do wonder sometimes if people do not realize that they are not playing a video game of the wolrd or some such thing. I also see so many people just doing what they want (e.g., walking 3-4 across a whole trail) without any apparent consideration of others. Sigh.

ImaCynic
    Participant

@Brett L. 210827 wrote:

The only thing can do is that at any given point when following a runner is to assume they will pull a Crazy Ivan without warning. If they have not provided any acknowledgement of your signals, they have not heard your signals. Give them extra space and caution.

^^^This.

There is only so much that a cyclist can do. The use audible warnings may not be registered by all, but at least doing so can hopefully counter those “I have no idea that a bike was behind me” claims.

Steve O
    Participant

On the other side of the coin, I have recently observed two runners who took due care prior to their “Safety” Ivan. One, in fact jogged off the right side of the trail, stopped and surveyed the trail in both directions (allowing me to pass) prior to resuming her run in the opposite direction.

DrP
    Participant

@Steve O 210843 wrote:

On the other side of the coin, I have recently observed two runners who took due care prior to their “Safety” Ivan. One, in fact jogged off the right side of the trail, stopped and surveyed the trail in both directions (allowing me to pass) prior to resuming her run in the opposite direction.

Thank you for bringing this up – we so often only remember the bad ones.
    I do hope that there are many more who do this. There is one jogger that I would see on the MVT in the mornings who, as in your example, would jog off the side, look around and then get on the trail in the other direction. I thanked her one of the mornings. And there have been several joggers who look back before passing someone, often slowing down waiting for cyclists to pass first.

n18
    Participant

I have a feeling that if the cyclist gave the jogger 3 feet, things would have turned out differently.

VikingMariner
    Participant

Flashing bike lights have prevented many potential collisions. Headphone wearing joggers see the reflected backscatter light in broad daylight.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.