Winter Bike Accessories — Here’s My Setup, What’s Yours?

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Winter Bike Accessories — Here’s My Setup, What’s Yours?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Greenbelt
    Participant

Here’s my list. Particularly important I think is to put your trail light on the left side handlebar, so that it’s easy to cover it or shield the beam on the left side with your left hand when approaching another rider or walker at night on the trails. Note, VA riders, it should be kind of embarrassing that I’m picking up Local Legends on your side of the river just by going to visit once a week! Cheers, Jeff https://www.strava.com/activities/8304534828
    [IMG]https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/322005910_1277247082841338_6683874483425648220_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ZdMvUqQK_j4AX9m8Dfx&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AfBEnXr9TDM3jBGBYqb1cda3-qDmMhGOKKJQFpklviQBKw&oe=63B21131[/IMG]

josh
    Participant

I like the lobster gloves, definitely less of a pain than bar mitts if it’s not absolutely ridiculously cold (at least for my hands).

What’s the rationale for the emphasis on the left side for the headlight?

As an aside, I am glad to not be commuting on the W&OD/Custis anymore and dealing with all the arguments over light etiquette. But if anyone asks, I’m of the opinion that there’s no reason to cover it (I’m trying to ride with the light illuminating the path forward, not riding in the dark). However, it should be solid and appropriately angled or positioned, and probably not unnecessarily bright. We’re not mountain biking.

Greenbelt
    Participant

@josh 221247 wrote:

I like the lobster gloves, definitely less of a pain than bar mitts if it’s not absolutely ridiculously cold (at least for my hands).

What’s the rationale for the emphasis on the left side for the headlight?

As an aside, I am glad to not be commuting on the W&OD/Custis anymore and dealing with all the arguments over light etiquette. But if anyone asks, I’m of the opinion that there’s no reason to cover it (I’m trying to ride with the light illuminating the path forward, not riding in the dark). However, it should be solid and appropriately angled or positioned, and probably not unnecessarily bright. We’re not mountain biking.

I think it’s really easy to just slide my left hand over and protect oncoming cyclist from my headlight without dimming the rightwards parts of the beam. Sometimes if there’s ambient light i cover it completely, but often just shielding the leftward beam really helps. I see people trying to press buttons to dim their lights but that never works when you’re wearing thick gloves, people ending up making it brighter or turning it all the way off by mistake and when pressing down lose control of their bar etc. Easiest and safest just to do the left hand 2 inch slide over and shield the beam a little in my opinion. And don’t use an overbright beam in the first place and angle it down a bit etc. just like you said too!

Serdar
    Participant

@Greenbelt 221248 wrote:

I think it’s really easy to just slide my left hand over and protect oncoming cyclist from my headlight without dimming the rightwards parts of the beam. Sometimes if there’s ambient light i cover it completely, but often just shielding the leftward beam really helps. I see people trying to press buttons to dim their lights but that never works when you’re wearing thick gloves, people ending up making it brighter or turning it all the way off by mistake and when pressing down lose control of their bar etc. Easiest and safest just to do the left hand 2 inch slide over and shield the beam a little in my opinion. And don’t use an overbright beam in the first place and angle it down a bit etc. just like you said too!

Before buying Trek Commuter Light, I used to cover my light with my hand. The new light’s Kindbeam technology keeps light on the trail and out of oncoming riders’ eyes.

jlamb
    Participant

Fenders are a must for me.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

Reflective clothing!!!! I wear this jacket. It is way more visible to cars than any kind of light set-up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29175[/ATTACH]

mstone
    Participant

@Serdar 221254 wrote:

Before buying Trek Commuter Light, I used to cover my light with my hand. The new light’s Kindbeam technology keeps light on the trail and out of oncoming riders’ eyes.

Yes–the right answer is a headlight with a cut-off beam, not faffing around with your light while passing. I’m glad these are getting more readily available in the US.

AlanA
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 221258 wrote:

Reflective clothing!!!! I wear this jacket. It is way more visible to cars than any kind of light set-up.

I’m sure I’ve seen pictures of you that look nothing like this!
    lol, I hope I’m not banned before this even starts.

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

Recycling @Greenbelt’s cold weather riding advice from 2018/17 and some tips from Bike Arlington

Cold weather advice threadhttps://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=27249&share_tid=13975&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewashingtonareabikeforum%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D13975&share_type=t&link_source=app

279ffc4ab72f05c168d97c749c980821.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-Daddy
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 221258 wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I checked it out from your link and picked one up—absolutely love it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.