What to do when you see a kid doing something scary

Our Community Forums General Discussion What to do when you see a kid doing something scary

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    elbows
    Participant

What do people do when they see a kid (teen) riding in a way that make one very nervous?

Followed a kid who was riding to the DC Latin Charter School this morning. (I mean, I wasn’t following them. I was riding in the same direction.) Love to see kids riding to school but I was really nervous watching this kid riding in the wrong lane around a busy corner (to shorten the curve, and because they were looking to hop onto the sidewalk.) There are a lot of fast drivers around there and not much time to react if one were to come around the corner and see a cyclist heading into you. (I was almost hit once by someone who seemed to be late racing to that very school.)

Public scolding/educating is not my forte but I would hate for something avoidable to happen to a kid on a bike.

Would love to think that schools incorporate a little instruction in safe riding, but I doubt it.

Would you have said something and if so, how?

dbehrend
    Participant

Unless I knew the teen (neighbor, friend’s kid, someone who would recognize me from around the community), I probably would not say anything. And if I knew them, I’d probably wait to talk to them later in a less stressful environment. Based on the context, a stranger (presumably) calling out on the street when the kid’s trying to get to school, I don’t think you’d have much luck imparting the knowledge/information you’d like to get across in a brief exchange.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@elbows 211270 wrote:

What do people do when they see a kid (teen) riding in a way that make one very nervous?

Followed a kid who was riding to the DC Latin Charter School this morning. (I mean, I wasn’t following them. I was riding in the same direction.) Love to see kids riding to school but I was really nervous watching this kid riding in the wrong lane around a busy corner (to shorten the curve, and because they were looking to hop onto the sidewalk.) There are a lot of fast drivers around there and not much time to react if one were to come around the corner and see a cyclist heading into you. (I was almost hit once by someone who seemed to be late racing to that very school.)

Public scolding/educating is not my forte but I would hate for something avoidable to happen to a kid on a bike.

Would love to think that schools incorporate a little instruction in safe riding, but I doubt it.

Would you have said something and if so, how?

Alexandria BPAC has worked with ACPS on the BITS (Bikes in the Schools) program, which teaches safe biking to 2nd graders. My understanding is DC has a more extensive program but I am not sure. Not sure about charter schools.

BPAC also holds ‘bike rodeos’ which teach safe biking skills to kids. If you are interested in volunteering, let me know and I will put you in touch with the BPAC member who takes the lead on these things.

LhasaCM
    Participant

@lordofthemark 211277 wrote:

Alexandria BPAC has worked with ACPS on the BITS (Bikes in the Schools) program, which teaches safe biking to 2nd graders. My understanding is DC has a more extensive program but I am not sure. Not sure about charter schools.

BPAC also holds ‘bike rodeos’ which teach safe biking skills to kids. If you are interested in volunteering, let me know and I will put you in touch with the BPAC member who takes the lead on these things.

In 2015, DC Public Schools added “learning how to ride a bike” to the 2nd grade curriculum for all of its schools, including safe biking. Anything done in charter schools is up to them (maybe a one-off workshop from WABA, maybe something more, maybe nothing; ours was nothing).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.