We’ve got a plow!

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions We’ve got a plow!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tim Kelley
    Participant

One of our Bike planner/engineers got his hands on a county plow (one of the small trucks) and will be plowing sections of Arlington trails when he can get the chance. A first pass along the Bluemont Junction trail has been made along with a section of the W&OD.

Finding good access points are difficult and pile of compacted street snow make it difficult, but leave responses here letting us know what sections need to be done!

He writes, “Something that would help me use my time most effectively are first hand reports of where on these trails the plow might be most needed and also where it’s NOT.”

Unregistered

There’s a large snow pile on the Four-Mile Run trail underpass beneath I-395. It’s spread across the trail’s width.

Scott T

If there is some way to get down past Lynn Street heading toward Roosevelt Island
    It looks like someone plowed part of Custis up near Glebe, but there are trees down blocking the trail and the plowing stopped at Vermont/Vernon street area.
    Custis behind sound wall next to I-66 from Glebe west?

Of course, several inches on Thursday will ruin all this

Unregistered

Please please please plow the Mt. Vernon Trail from Crystal City to the 14th Street Bridge (or all the way to Rosslyn is even better).

Unregistered

I just used the Arlington portion of the W&OD this morning. Much of it has been plowed, with notable exceptions. The part between the Rt. 50 bridge east to the new bathrooms is treacherous in spots, and there is a stretch of downed bamboo blocking the trail. Worst, though is the hump east of Sycamore St. where the “Brandymore Castle” sign is. None of this has been touched, and there are huge snowpiles on the trail where VDOT dumped snow from 66 right onto the trail. I had to walk it to Sycamore St. and bailed at that point to continue west towards Tysons. Strange, as in previous storms this is an area they cleared first, even putting salt down on this hump. Maybe they saw the VDOT snowpiles and gave up. It’s not so helpful to plow part of the trail and not do the whole thing, though. Hopefully they will finish this today. Until then, might as well stay on the streets.

Al

Unregistered

So glad you have a plow! The entire boardwalk south of Roosevelt Island is buried under several inches of snow and ice — since it is largely shaded by trees, there is little likelihood the sun will melt the snow. Also, north of Roosevelt Island, the overpass over GW Parkway and the hill leading up to Rosslyn are impassable.

In addition, the trail that leads from Memorial Bridge to Mt Vernon trail has several impassable sections — right next to the spot where you have to cross GW Parkway to get on to the MVT there is a big block of ice, and also when you’re trying to get onto the trail itself.

Thanks for your help!!! Much appreciated!!!!

Douglas Galbi

See http://ode-street-tribune.blogspot.com/2010/02/moguls-on-main-bike-route.html

With a plow, you should be able to knock these off quickly. Definitely would improve bike and pedestrian traffic flow and safety.

Unregistered

As of Sunday morning 2/28: West of Hunter Mill at Hunter Station Vienna/Reston is covered thick with snow and ice. Usually one of the last areas to melt. Also some stretches still covered from Rte 267 (Toll Road) in Reston to Hunter Mill, Vienna.

@Tim Kelley 202 wrote:

One of our Bike planner/engineers got his hands on a county plow (one of the small trucks) and will be plowing sections of Arlington trails when he can get the chance. A first pass along the Bluemont Junction trail has been made along with a section of the W&OD.

Finding good access points are difficult and pile of compacted street snow make it difficult, but leave responses here letting us know what sections need to be done!

He writes, “Something that would help me use my time most effectively are first hand reports of where on these trails the plow might be most needed and also where it’s NOT.”

Nadine
    Participant

I’m so proud of myself — I shoveled the Custis trail today! I started out with a friend at 1:40 on the snowy part of the path near COurthouse/Claredon, and later made an impromptu shoveling brigade with these other 3 people and shoveled all afternoon. The trail is passable now — though just one lane near Clarendon/COurthouse. There was water running towards us as we made our way back to our cars afterwards so watch out for black ice along the shoveled areas — esp. in the morning when it’s colder. It’s supposed to get into the 40s all week, so midday & afternoons should be fine. If your plowing friend has a chance it would be good to plow the other side of the trail so both lanes are clear and less melt and refreeze and black ice…

Also I have it from several people who were biking & walking on the path that the fallen trees have been cleared!

I hear that the CCT has been plowed in DC — but not in MD – and that the Mount Vernon trail is good. (DOn’t know if it;s been plowed since those earlier requests or the person who told me had only been on a bit of it.) I hear the W&OD is good in Arlington & Falls CHurch and then it stops….. and restarts later — basically Fairfax COunty didn’t plow, but other towns did, like Reston and Ashburn.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘We’ve got a plow!’ is closed to new replies.