Wet Weather Whitehurst Wheelers

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Wet Weather Whitehurst Wheelers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    MJTheis
    Participant

We all know the worst part of biking throughout winter is biking in wet weather. Last year, during my first Freezing Saddles, I hit upon the idea of doing repeated laps on Water Street NW in Georgetown under the canopy of the Whitehurst Freeway. It works like a charm, and you can get miles and miles of dry(-ish) roads under your belt on those terrible, cold rainy days.

So this year, I’ve resolved to “host” lap sessions under Whitehurst Freeway on rainy days. We will be the Wet Weather Whitehurst Wheelers! All are welcome to join. Here’s how it will work: On rainy days, I’ll announce a lap session to commence at a certain hour. The gathering point/rest stop will be Mr. Smith’s of Georgetown, a quaint tavern on Water Street. Those who want to gather for group laps can show up in their own time, have a go at some laps, and stop for a pint on their way out!

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Meh
    Participant

How good is your GPS under there? Mine is about as good as it is under trees…the overall distance is _mostly_ accurate (to within 5%) but the displayed speed is up down or sideways.

Sunyata
    Participant

@Meh 226514 wrote:

How good is your GPS under there? Mine is about as good as it is under trees…the overall distance is _mostly_ accurate (to within 5%) but the displayed speed is up down or sideways.

Super easy (and relatively inexpensive) solution to less than stellar GPS/Glonass signal is a wheel sensor paired to your GPS unit. Works like a charm for mountain biking.

Steve O
    Participant

Hmmm. This seems slightly at odds to the whole purpose of Freezing Saddles. Or at least the spirit. The whole point is not to avoid the weather (it’s why we don’t count trainer rides), but rather to embrace it. We ride despite – or even because of – bad weather.

At least one is likely to get wet on the way to the laps. I can’t imagine a Freezing Saddles participant driving to avoid the weather.

Meh
    Participant

@Sunyata 226520 wrote:

Super easy (and relatively inexpensive) solution to less than stellar GPS/Glonass signal is a wheel sensor paired to your GPS unit. Works like a charm for mountain biking.

*grin* This is exactly how I know what the overall error is on that specific terrain ;)

MJTheis
    Participant

@Meh 226514 wrote:

I use my phone and have not noticed an issue.

peremaya
    Participant

I feel it is an ingenious solution to the problem of getting wet in freezing temperatures. The ride is still outside and freezing! just not as wet ;)

Meh
    Participant

@peremaya 226542 wrote:

I feel it is an ingenious solution to the problem of getting wet in freezing temperatures. The ride is still outside and freezing! just not as wet ;)

So are garages. Garages also have more climbing … for the vertical pointless prizes… but far less night life. Anyone else ride past the custom car meets under the Freeway?

CBGanimal
    Participant

Will you announce on the forum? Or other places?

It’s also a good central location to get to know other FS riders! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJTheis
    Participant

@CBGanimal 226557 wrote:

Will you announce on the forum? Or other places?

It’s also a good central location to get to know other FS riders! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I plan to announce here on this very thread.

veleau_monica
    Participant

i’ll be there!!!!!

MJTheis
    Participant

Today’s opening Happy Hour coincides with a wet and rainy day! I’ll “host” a Wet Weather Whitehurst Wheelers lap session immediately after the program of events at tonight’s happy hour. After the happy hour, I’ll lead interested riders to the designated rally point – Mr. Smith’s of Georgetown on Water Street NW. On the assumption that tonight’s happy hour will be done by 7 p.m., I assume we’ll arrive at Mr. Smith’s by 7:30 p.m., but I’ll try to post an update here if that changes. I’m down for at least as many laps as it will take to get to 10 miles on the day, but each rider is free to do as many or as few Whitehurst laps as they like.

(P.S. – Unfortunately, I was unable to host a session during this past Saturday’s drencher.)

MJTheis
    Participant

Due to today’s persistent rains, I am declaring a Wet Weather Whitehurst Wheelers session to commence today at 5 p.m.!

Join me and other water-wary cyclists as we ride laps on the protected bicycle lanes underneath Whitehurst Freeway on Water Street NW in Georgetown. The rally point shall be Mr. Smith’s of Georgetown at 3205 Water St NW. I’ll be outside Mr. Smith’s from 5 p.m. to 5:10 p.m. to link up with other Wet Weather Whitehurst Wheelers. Those who will arrive late and want to link up with the riders, wait by Mr. Smith’s and we’ll give a shout out when we pass by.

At 6 p.m. I plan to get a drink from the bar and head home. Attendees are free to do as many laps as they like.

Each full lap, running from 30th Street NW to the Key Bridge and back, is approximately 1.2 miles long.

More details on the concept can be found on the forum: https://www.bikearlingtonforum.com/forums/topic/wet-weather-whitehurst-wheelers/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.