We should allow an extra 10 points for commuting to work today

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition We should allow an extra 10 points for commuting to work today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mantadiver
    Participant

5 degrees and 25 mph winds. That is the coldest weather I have ever ridden in.

Mikey
    Participant

Actually we should suspend the 10 pt bonus for today and only give mileage points. That would remove the incentive to do anything stupid. Don’t get me wrong I got my mile in but that’s because I had to get to work.

guga31bb
    Participant

Just got to work. First time commuting with bar mitts and they are awesome — only part of my body that felt cold at end of ride was feet. Not sure what to do about that…

Pretty nice day, all things considered.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@guga31bb 73822 wrote:

Just got to work. First time commuting with bar mitts and they are awesome — only part of my body that felt cold at end of ride was feet. Not sure what to do about that…

I put plastic bags over my wool socks before putting my shoes on. Seemed to help a bit.

sethpo
    Participant

@guga31bb 73822 wrote:

New product idea: Pedal mitts! Pedal socks? Pedal Slippers?? We can work on the marketing later…

jrenaut
    Participant

My feet were fine, which is somewhat unusual. My hands were frozen, despite only 3.5 miles and using merino glove liners under my regular gloves. Other than my hands, though, I’ve had worse commutes (warmer weather but not dressed as well).

Justin Antos
    Participant

@Mikey 73818 wrote:

the incentive to do anything stupid.

The essence of Freezing Saddles, in 6 words.

consularrider
    Participant

My only issue was my eyewear fogging up (that and feeling like Ralphie from being bundled up ;)). I guess it’s time to break down and buy some real goggles. My concession to the temperatures and wind was to just ride my most direct and safe route rather than adding milage (which also gave me a tailwind the whole way :D). Still more than enough to avoid the sleeze ride label.

kwarkentien
    Participant

@sethpo 73826 wrote:

New product idea: Pedal mitts! Pedal socks? Pedal Slippers?? We can work on the marketing later…

I think you’re on to something!!!!

kwarkentien
    Participant

@consularrider 73864 wrote:

My only issue was my eyewear fogging up (that and feeling like Ralphie from being bundled up ;)). I guess it’s time to break down and buy some real goggles. My concession to the temperatures and wind was to just ride my most direct and safe route rather than adding milage (which also gave me a tailwind the whole way :D). Still more than enough to avoid the sleeze ride label.

I’m sleazy and I make no excuses for it. (It also happens that the longest I’ve been able to stretch the CaBi ride out to is just under 0.9 miles so that’s just the way it is.) On a day like today, I’m happy for sleaze.

cyclingfool
    Participant

@kwarkentien 73918 wrote:

I’m sleazy and I make no excuses for it. (It also happens that the longest I’ve been able to stretch the CaBi ride out to is just under 0.9 miles so that’s just the way it is.) On a day like today, I’m happy for sleaze.

Slow and sleazy wins the race, right? :)

(Kudos, teammate)

ozmeister1984
    Participant

It wasn’t that bad, did my 10 miles to work. Going home should be fun though.

dkel
    Participant

The headwind I fought all the way in (probably the only reason my feet got cold) will be a lovely tailwind all the way home. Last night’s tailwind meant I was nice and toasty, and my speed was up; looking forward to the same tonight.

KelOnWheels
    Participant

@sethpo 73826 wrote:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4439[/ATTACH]

consularrider
    Participant

Those are just fuzzy gaiters and don’t help your toes at all! It also looks a little skimpy up above for the current condtions. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.