Tour De Fat!

Our Community Forums General Discussion Tour De Fat!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    FFX_Hinterlands
    Participant

Who’s going? It’s going to be a little hot, I think. The Nat’s schedule says no game on that day, which should mean it’s quieter than usual down there.

I’ll be working the afternoon shift (1-5) at the wristband station. I’ll be wearing a be-jeweled Tie and (probably) a floppy brimmed hat. Stop by and say hello!!

Tom

Steve
    Participant

I will be there for sure!

KelOnWheels
    Participant

I can’t decide what to wear! (But I registered for the parade!) :D

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

I’m going and might be seen riding in a tutu. 😮 Would anyone like to convoy from the W&OD, Shirlington, or the MVT – especially anyone good at navigation around the Yards Park area?

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

Kel, want to meet up on the trail somewhere? I plan to participate in the parade too. I’m pretty sure you can register on site. It’s a slow ride but loads of fun and all for a great cause (us, via WABA)!

This event is so much fun! Some of the costumes are amazing and the whole day is filled with all sorts of great entertainment and things to do, including crazy insane bikes you can ride, all sponsored by New Belgium Brewing Co. to show their support for biking and WABA. And there’s beer, too!

KelOnWheels
    Participant

@Arlingtonrider 53265 wrote:

Kel, want to meet up on the trail somewhere? I plan to participate in the parade too. I’m pretty sure you can register on site. It’s a slow ride but loads of fun and all for a great cause (us, via WABA)!

This event is so much fun! Some of the costumes are amazing and the whole day is filled with all sorts of great entertainment and things to do, including crazy insane bikes you can ride, all sponsored by New Belgium Brewing Co. to show their support for biking and WABA. And there’s beer, too!

That would be awesome! We can have a little parade-going convoy :)

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

I might take my older daughter again this year, but not sure how close-in we’ll start our ride or whether she’ll be on her own bike or the trail-a bike.

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

For those who weren’t there last year – there are several shaded areas for cooling off if it gets hot and lots of water, other beverages and food available for sale. Last year they also had people carrying trays of cups of ice water that they were giving out to anyone who wanted one. A nice touch!

sjclaeys
    Participant

I am hoping to go, but might not be able to make it until 3:30 or so. Last year’s was a blast.

Riley Casey
    Participant

I’ve volunteered to be a marshall so I’m thinking a badge and spurs maybe? A six gun would be frowned on in the city I’m thinking.

@KelOnWheels 53260 wrote:

I can’t decide what to wear…

vvill
    Participant

If I make it I’ll be in a sweet dark blue sling. Last time I broke a bone I had a lame sky blue one with white trim.:rolleyes:

KLizotte
    Participant

@vvill 53345 wrote:

If I make it I’ll be in a sweet dark blue sling. Last time I broke a bone I had a lame sky blue one with white trim.:rolleyes:

You still have time to attach rhinestones. A sling with bling!

acc
    Participant

@KLizotte 53354 wrote:

You still have time to attach rhinestones. A sling with bling!

Funny you should mention rhinestones.

I have six rolls of rhinestones I’ve been using to patch the sparkle bike.
    A dozen sock monkeys that will make perfect sense after the second beer
    Boots that defy gravity and rational thought
    A giant sunflower that seemed like a good idea if I can figure out how to attach it to the bike
    An abundance of lace to cover what should remain covered
    A sundress that might actually be a shirt, hard to tell
    A pink parasol because by God it can be hot in the sun

(familyfriendlyfamilyfriendlyfamilyfriendlyfamilyfriendly)

Henry
    Keymaster

We are planning two/three group rides from Phoenix Bikes in Barcroft Park. One early (8am) for a couple of us working the event all day; another around 11am for the teens in our program who can’t/wont meet for an early ride. There will possibly be a third around 1pm with the staffers who will close the shop early to join the fun.

We are also still in need of a couple of volunteers to help us with taking down the event (from 5-7pm). You can enjoy the event, then get your do-gooder points after (and ride home in the cooler evening air.) Contact henry@phoenixbikes.org if you can help.

83b
    Participant

@acc 53359 wrote:

A giant sunflower that seemed like a good idea if I can figure out how to attach it to the bike

Isn’t the answer always zip ties and duct tape?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.