The plus side of that HORRIBLE "Freezing Saddles Winter Bike Challenge"

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition The plus side of that HORRIBLE "Freezing Saddles Winter Bike Challenge"

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ejwillis
    Participant

As I was riding home in the drizzle yesterday evening, I couldn’t help but smile, after all I wasn’t freezing to death. A little rain was nothing when it is so warm out. Before the freezing saddles challenge I would have not wanted to ride in the rain but after the cold of this last winter a day with a little drizzle is nothing. In fact I enjoyed having the Mount Vernon Trail mostly to myself again. I had forgotten how that was the one plus of winter riding, no traffic.
    I am so so glad it is summer and I have the vivid memory of the freezing winter to make my summer rides a thousand times more enjoyable. Couldn’t stop smiling yesterday. I love being a bike commuter.

LIZ W.

KayakCyndi
    Participant

I have also enjoyed riding in the drizzle and light rain this spring/summer. This morning’s deluge though drove me metro. Most unhappy start to the day!

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

Liz – thanks for all that you do to help encourage others! You’re a great inspiration to many people and we were happy to have you on our FS team even though you decided that winter riding wasn’t your thing. You gave it a try. Just be careful on all the wooden parts of your commute when they’re wet!

vvill
    Participant

Only slightly related, but the new Strava API (v3) is out now and they’ve rescinded access to previous versions and also aren’t taking any new applications for access to v3. hozn/ronwalf – just wondering, did you guys apply for access? Otherwise we may not be able to do this again in the near future…

Participant

I’m probably the only one looking forward to the days when the high temperature is around 35 degrees. Not just because I like the cold, but it does drive some people inside. (Luckily, just about everyone sleeps late, so I do have a solitary commute in the mornings.)

ejwillis
    Participant

I am not giving up on the winter riding just yet. I am not willing to give up my bike commuting lifestyle. I learned a lot last year and I am sure will learn a lot this year. and on the plus side by the time winter comes i will be stronger and better able to ride my commuter faster. Maybe some day I can get it to just over an hour. :) on my road bike I can almost get it down to an hour and a half. I will not let winter beat me.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@5555624 56953 wrote:

I’m probably the only one looking forward to the days when the high temperature is around 35 degrees. Not just because I like the cold, but it does drive some people inside. (Luckily, just about everyone sleeps late, so I do have a solitary commute in the mornings.)

Nope. I think many of us feel that way.

Amalitza

:pThe trails are just as empty when it’s 100F out as when it’s 35F.

Much of the MVT is even shady.

just sayin’

also, please mentally attach smiley (:p) to above dislike button

Rod Smith
    Participant

EJ, I didn’t even realize you were in Freezing Saddles. I know you from National Bike Challenge where you have a lot of points. How long is your commute?

Vicegrip
    Participant

I did not ride in FS last winter but I have a better like of dry winter riding. I am becoming a believer in “there is no bad weather just bad gear”. I have come to like rain rides in warm weather also like to do hill climbs in the rain. Water cooling for the motor works well. Wet and cold makes for knees that seize.

Participant

@acl 56992 wrote:

Okay, then let’s make it 20F! :p

Luckily, at 3:00 a.m., the temperature doesn’t make much difference on the number of people out on the trails….

CPTJohnC
    Participant

@acl 56992 wrote:

I wish this were true, but I see way more folks on the trails on 100F days than on 35F (or even 40F) days. My anecdotal, seat of the pants estimate would say that the high needs to be headed for 65F before many riders get out there. And a low close to freezing keeps most at home.

I like riding in winter. I’m looking forward to next year’s freezing saddles!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.