The Mayor of Low-Fives on the radio for BTWD

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2017 The Mayor of Low-Fives on the radio for BTWD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    LeprosyStudyGroup
    Participant
    bentbike33
    Participant

From the article:

…Capital Bikeshare is one of the main reasons the region’s percentage of bike commuters has nearly doubled in the past decade, from 1.7 to 4 percent.

Basic arithmetic is not a requirement for employment at WAMU, evidently.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@bentbike33 160320 wrote:

From the article:

Basic arithmetic is not a requirement for employment at WAMU, evidently.

Also definition of region. AFAIK bike commute share is 4% for the District, which has the highest share in the region by far.

If its really 4% for the region, I would be ecstatic, but I am pretty sure it is not.

streetsmarts
    Participant

http://wtop.com/local/2017/05/many-people-really-bike-work-around-dc-surprising-stats/

Just saw this . Good research. Lots of numbers…hopefully they’re going up. Hey, I’m biking! That’s one more!

bentbike33
    Participant

@lordofthemark 160321 wrote:

Also definition of region. AFAIK bike commute share is 4% for the District, which has the highest share in the region by far.

If its really 4% for the region, I would be ecstatic, but I am pretty sure it is not.

For the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area, which consists of District of Columbia, DC; Calvert County, MD; Charles County, MD; Frederick County, MD; Montgomery County, MD; Prince George’s County, MD; Arlington County, VA; Clarke County, VA; Culpeper County, VA; Fairfax County, VA; Fauquier County, VA; Loudoun County, VA; Prince William County, VA; Rappahannock County, VA; Spotsylvania County, VA; Stafford County, VA; Warren County, VA; Alexandria city, VA; Fairfax city, VA; Falls Church city, VA; Fredericksburg city, VA; Manassas city, VA; Manassas Park city, VA; and Jefferson County, WV, it was 0.8% in 2015.

Zack
    Participant

@bentbike33 160324 wrote:

For the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area, which consists of District of Columbia, DC; Calvert County, MD; Charles County, MD; Frederick County, MD; Montgomery County, MD; Prince George’s County, MD; Arlington County, VA; Clarke County, VA; Culpeper County, VA; Fairfax County, VA; Fauquier County, VA; Loudoun County, VA; Prince William County, VA; Rappahannock County, VA; Spotsylvania County, VA; Stafford County, VA; Warren County, VA; Alexandria city, VA; Fairfax city, VA; Falls Church city, VA; Fredericksburg city, VA; Manassas city, VA; Manassas Park city, VA; and Jefferson County, WV, it was 0.8% in 2015.

While citywide and across the region, that number sounds low, some neighborhoods are several times that. I made a map of Alexandria’s census tracts and used Census Bureau’s 2013 American Community Survey and some neighborhoods are 4-6 times higher than that regional average. DC has even higher numbers in certain neighborhoods.

LeprosyStudyGroup
    Participant

That stuff’s boring, let’s talk more about local cycling heartthrob Ian. He does dreamy commute distances with a good attitude and everybody likes him.

Judd
    Participant

@LeprosyStudyGroup 160375 wrote:

That stuff’s boring, let’s talk more about local cycling heartthrob Ian. He does dreamy commute distances with a good attitude and everybody likes him.

But can he do math?!?! The economists need to know!!!

Kitty
    Participant

@Judd 160377 wrote:

But can he do math?!?! The economists need to know!!!

Has anyone reached Dismal Scientist for comment?!

In all seriousness though, its was a joy to see that article today! It’s a bit ironic though that because of leaving early for BTWD I didn’t get to hear it on the air.

Judd
    Participant

I heard Ian Fingerman once used his bike to rescue Baby Jessica from a well.

vern
    Participant

And he’s a former Bipolar Bear, so there’s that.

Judd
    Participant

@vern 160550 wrote:

And he’s a former Bipolar Bear, so there’s that.

It’s true…. Ian Fingerman can cure any mental disorder… with his bike.

Judd
    Participant

Do you guys remember when Ian defended Thermopylae against a Persian invasion with just his Marrakesh?

Birru
    Participant

To Bill Brasky!

Judd
    Participant

@Birru 160620 wrote:

To Bill Brasky!

They say Ian Fingerman is 8 foot 3!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.