"Stop" Signs on Trails

Our Community Forums Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee "Stop" Signs on Trails

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    DismalScientist
    Participant

As someone who bikes and drives through the intersection of the Bluemont Trail and Kensington St, I must say it sucks for everybody. Bicycle traffic probably should slow down almost to a complete stop given the atrocious sightlines regardless of whether there is a stop sign.

dasgeh
    Participant

@DismalScientist 136151 wrote:

As someone who bikes and drives through the intersection of the Bluemont Trail and Kensington St, I must say it sucks for everybody. Bicycle traffic probably should slow down almost to a complete stop given the atrocious sightlines regardless of whether there is a stop sign.

Sounds like a caution sign, similar to what we got on the Custis at Quinn, would be a good candidate for the bike trail. Also sounds like a prime candidate for a raised crosswalk.

Steve O
    Participant

@DismalScientist 136151 wrote:

Once upon a time at a BAC meeting the AC staff suggested they might look at the three street crossings on the Bluemont Junction trail between the W&OD and Wilson and consider adjusting strategies based on the significant differences in traffic and design. I haven’t heard anything lately, so I’m not sure if this idea has died out.

bobco85
    Participant

@dasgeh 136155 wrote:

Sounds like a caution sign, similar to what we got on the Custis at Quinn, would be a good candidate for the bike trail. Also sounds like a prime candidate for a raised crosswalk.

I think a caution sign would be a good idea or even writing “SLOW” on the asphalt approaching the intersection.

Also, Bluemont Junction Trail/Kensington St already has a raised crosswalk. The crosswalk is not flat, however, and entering the crossing involves going down a bit to the gutter then up and over the high point in the middle and going down to the gutter on the other side before going up to the elevation of the trail. The edges of the crossing used to be worse, leaving cyclists to “bounce” on both entry and exit, but it is a little smoother now. You can see it on Google Maps street view: https://goo.gl/maps/3qfyVYQKc5x

baiskeli
    Participant

The signs are still up at Bluemont Junction and Emerson.

consularrider
    Participant

@Steve O 136156 wrote:

Once upon a time at a BAC meeting the AC staff suggested they might look at the three street crossings on the Bluemont Junction trail between the W&OD and Wilson and consider adjusting strategies based on the significant differences in traffic and design. I haven’t heard anything lately, so I’m not sure if this idea has died out.

I’m still trying to figure where the third street crossing is on the Bluemont Trail between the W&OD and Wilson (Kensington and Emerson are the two I can picture). And then there is Buchanan between Wilson and Fairfax.

dasgeh
    Participant

@consularrider 136260 wrote:

I’m still trying to figure where the third street crossing is on the Bluemont Trail between the W&OD and Wilson (Kensington and Emerson are the two I can picture). And then there is Buchanan between Wilson and Fairfax.

I think he meant W&OD and FFX. Being a east-Arlander, I usually think of Wilson as north of Fairfax too.

To the original point, I remember the conversation at the BAC meeting well – it started the conversation that led to the Commonwealth’s Attorney coming to the BAC, and then the ACPD Training doc.

So now that we’ve established that pedestrians don’t have a general responsibility to stop at crosswalks, we should certainly revisit the Bluemont stop signs.

AlexandriaBiker
    Participant

This is from a year ago …

Is there any change to the stop signs on trails issue? I was at the meeting where this was initially discussed but never saw the definitive conclusion from ACPD or Commonwealth Attorney. Do the signs have any legal standing in Arlington? Can anyone address if stop signs on trails have legal standing statewide? Nationwide?

This has come up in discussions over the last year and I’m just interested in having correct information. Thanks.

Brett L.
    Participant

@Judd 135949 wrote:

New law: everybody stop at intersections and awkwardly stare at each other until someone goes.

Are we in Canada now?

Zack
    Participant

@AlexandriaBiker 156115 wrote:

This is from a year ago …

Is there any change to the stop signs on trails issue? I was at the meeting where this was initially discussed but never saw the definitive conclusion from ACPD or Commonwealth Attorney. Do the signs have any legal standing in Arlington? Can anyone address if stop signs on trails have legal standing statewide? Nationwide?

This has come up in discussions over the last year and I’m just interested in having correct information. Thanks.

The answer is no unless Arlington or another local governing body passed an ordinance expressly requiring a complete stop on trails.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter8/section46.2-924

D. Where a shared-use path crosses a highway at a clearly marked crosswalk and there are no traffic control signals at such crossing, the local governing body may by ordinance require pedestrians, cyclists, and any other users of such shared-used path to come to a complete stop prior to entering such crosswalk. Such local ordinance may provide for a fine not to exceed $100 for violations. Any locality adopting such an ordinance shall install and maintain stop signs, consistent with standards adopted by the Commonwealth Transportation Board and to the extent necessary in coordination with the Department of Transportation. At such crosswalks, no user of such shared-use path shall enter the crosswalk in disregard of approaching traffic.

Steve O
    Participant

Yesterday, Loose Bones was detained by a police officer at the intersection of the W&OD and Little Falls for crossing Little Falls without coming to a complete stop. She was traveling eastbound.
    He detained her for about 15 minutes but did not give her a citation. Instead, he provided her with this flier.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30815[/ATTACH]

Not being familiar with the information in this thread, she was intimidated into admitting that she had not come to a complete stop. She had, however, slowed, and a driver had stopped and waved her through – out of the sight line of the officer. She told him this to no effect.

I believe this intersection is in the City of Falls Church, not Arlington County. She said the police car was black and did not recall any geographic identification.
    Does anyone know if Falls Church has passed an ordinance as described in the first post of this thread?

arlcxrider
    Participant

https://library.municode.com/va/falls_church/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH26MOVETR_ARTIVBI_S26-108BIPA

City of Falls Church — Code of Ordinances — Chap. 26, Article IV:

Sec. 26-109. – Riding and parking regulations.

Every person riding a bicycle upon a bikeway, sidewalk, street, highway or roadway has all the rights and is subject to all the duties applicable to the driver of a motor vehicle, except those provisions which by their very nature can have no application. Additionally, every such person shall comply with the following:

(1)Speed. No bicycle shall be operated faster than is reasonable and proper, but every bicycle shall be operated with reasonable regard for the safety of the operator and every other person upon the streets, sidewalks, highways, roadways, and bikeways of the city.

(2)Observation of traffic regulations. Every person riding a bicycle in the city shall observe all authorized traffic signs, signals and traffic control devices. Whenever signs are erected indicating that no right turn or left turn or U-turn is permitted, no person operating a bicycle shall disobey the direction of any such signs, except where such persons dismount from the bicycle to make any such movements or turns; in which event such a person shall then obey the regulation applicable to pedestrians.

(3)Stop signs. All persons operating a bicycle shall stop at all stop signs.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.