September 2023 Road & Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions September 2023 Road & Trail Conditions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Starduster
    Participant

We’ll break in September this way:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30866[/ATTACH]

This is the trail connector (that is *not* part of the South 12th St. Bike Boulevard) between S. Quincy @ S. 12th and S. George Mason that passes below Randolph Elementary. A Parks & Recreation project. I expect the work will be on the non-illuminated portion of the trail where pavement is breaking up severely. Week of Sept 5.

Glad to see this is being addressed.

Starduster
    Participant

But wait! There’s more! Courtesy BikeArlington, this info from Arlington County. DPR is doing paving work on four sections of their trails next week. https://www.arlingtonva.us/Government/Departments/Parks-Recreation/Locations/Off-street-trails

DrP
    Participant

@Starduster 226123 wrote:

But wait! There’s more! Courtesy BikeArlington, this info from Arlington County. DPR is doing paving work on four sections of their trails next week. https://www.arlingtonva.us/Government/Departments/Parks-Recreation/Locations/Off-street-trails

The Ballston connector (Custis to Fairfax Drive over I-66) was repaved yesterday. So smooth!
    They put an extra layer where the trail meets the sides of the overpass bridge so it will be a while before weeds can get in.

Starduster
    Participant

@Starduster 226123 wrote:

An update in the Doctors Run repairs, closest to me, from Wednesday:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30870[/ATTACH]
    The non-school, non-illuminated section of trail that ends and S. Quincy was breaking up badly. Now freshly paved, crumbling edges shored up, an honest 10 Ft. wide. The profile has not changed, so the sharp climbs/descents remain.

I had not expected work on the spur that goes up to S. Randolph. But here is the before & after.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30871[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30872[/ATTACH]
    By no means an ADA compliant curb cut, but the crew from Parks & Recreation made it safer. Thank you.

consularrider
    Participant

Ballston connector has been repaved by the Beaver Pond

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30873[/ATTACH]

Just saw DrP reported too

Starduster
    Participant

@consularrider 226134 wrote:

Ballston connector has been repaved by the Beaver Pond

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30873[/ATTACH]

Just saw DrP reported too

Is the section of trail down to the pond finally open?

consularrider
    Participant

Yes. The observation deck has been relocated

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30878[/ATTACH]

Judd
    Participant

@Starduster 226132 wrote:

An update in the Doctors Run repairs, closest to me, from Wednesday:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30870[/ATTACH]
    The non-school, non-illuminated section of trail that ends and S. Quincy was breaking up badly. Now freshly paved, crumbling edges shored up, an honest 10 Ft. wide. The profile has not changed, so the sharp climbs/descents remain.

I had not expected work on the spur that goes up to S. Randolph. But here is the before & after.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30871[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30872[/ATTACH]
    By no means an ADA compliant curb cut, but the crew from Parks & Recreation made it safer. Thank you.

An ADA complaint might be effective in this instance since they did install a ramp but not an ADA compliant one. The process is pretty easy. I had a good and successful experience using it to get some curbs fixed near the Pentagon (after Chris Slatt did all the leg work to identify who owned the issue.)

Starduster
    Participant

Last posting for September. I had to report an emerging problem with the freshly paved Doctors Run Connector. The section above the picnic area has a steep dropoff on the downhill side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30889[/ATTACH]

And it appears some of that new asphalt has crumbled and fallen down the hill. I hope *without* taking a pedestrian or cyclist with it. It has been reported to Arlington County.

Ignore the tire pump image. That belongs elsewhere.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.