Riding from Herndon to Downtown DC on BTWD – best route?

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2012 Riding from Herndon to Downtown DC on BTWD – best route?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Veik
    Participant

I want to do BTWD, I am in herndon and work in downtown.
    Is WOD to Curtis trail my best path?

Anyone else going that route?
    Thanks

jabberwocky
    Participant

Depends where in DC. For most locations, W&OD to the Custis (and then across the I66 bridge) is the most direct though. Its an easy, all-path ride (though a pretty decent distance; for me in Reston, doing the W&OD/Custis route to the washington monument is about 25 miles).

eminva
    Participant

Depends — unless you work south of the Mall (in which case you may want to take the W&OD all the way, then MVT to 14th Street Bridge), the W&OD and Custis would be the way to go.

Yes, LOTS of people will be going that route on Friday. Where exactly in DC do you want to end up? What time?

As a side note, I am very encouraged to see all the messages from commuters in outer suburbs, especially those with commutes to other suburbs. It is fantastic to see this response. Looking forward to a great day tomorrow.

Liz

Veik
    Participant

I want to be in DC by 8 am, I work by 18&E st NW
    So I guess I have to hit the trail by 6AM…?

RESTONTODC
    Participant

The shorted distance is the I-66 bridge, Virginia Ave, and F. You need to give yourself extra time. The Custis trail will be congested tomorrow morning. I will skip the Custis trail and ride via Fairfax drive tomorrow for extra stop at Freshbike.

SpokeGrenadeSR
    Participant

@Veik 19881 wrote:

I want to be in DC by 8 am, I work by 18&E st NW
    So I guess I have to hit the trail by 6AM…?

judging by the likely traffic and the amount of cross streets on the WOD…id make that 5:30/45.

consularrider
    Participant

The choke point on that route is going to be the narrow sidewalk on the Roosevelt (I-66) bridge. It’s all well and good if everyone is going in the same direction, but if there is any contraflow….

runnergirl92
    Participant

I have to be down there by 9:30…do you think leaving a bit later will be less congested?

Veik
    Participant

All right I made it…one way atleast
    Took me about 3 hrs with stops along W&OD.
    From Herndon to Downtown DC
    Ofcourse I was riding my single speed :) if that makes any difference

jabberwocky
    Participant

Very nice work. Thats a nice long commute. :D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.