"Rest days"

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jrenaut
    Participant

Since I have no chance of getting towards the top of the mileage leaderboard, I set a goal that I can reasonably expect to achieve – riding every day of the challenge. I’m doing well so far. I’m happy with the amount of riding I’m getting in, and I haven’t missed a day yet.

However, I usually ride 4-6 days a week, with fewer miles per day on average. It’s not healthy for me to continue riding both more miles and more days without some rest in there.

Today, I plan to do a quick trip to the hardware store -2.8 miles round trip, almost completely flat – as a “rest day”. Then tomorrow and Monday I’d like to do a (for me) mid-range ride of 10-15 and a longer ride of 30-40.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Handling it in any different way?

cvcalhoun
    Participant

I’m in a similar situation. Before FS, I typically bicycled two days a week, for a total of about 30 miles. The good news is, it’s not hard to beat my handicap. The bad news is, continuing at that pace would put my position on the leaderboard so far down that I wouldn’t even be seen!

I’m now bicycling every day, lengthening some of my normal rides, and taking some extra medium-length rides. But I have decided not to be at all concerned over whether my ride is a sleaze ride. So on my rest days, I bicycle to the Y and back, a 1.3 mile round trip. I figure that still allows me plenty of rest.

rcannon100
    Participant

There is another thread about fatigue. I have learned this the hard way. During breaks, even long weekends, I will cycle, hike with the dogs, and do heavy chores. By the time I am done, I am massively exhausted. And at this point, I am doing damage. I have a recurring hamstring that I strained during winter break.

In short, yes. If you read training articles, standard advice is “rest days.” The body must rebuild. Younger bodies are more resilient than older bodies. My big lesson has been the older I get, the more deliberate I must be about rest.

Dickie
    Participant

I decided last year to ride everyday during the NBC, and then extended it to the end of the year. I found that my body adjusted pretty well and I was less fatigued then I expected. I did however increase my sleeping, became far my diligent about proper nutrition and hydration, and really enjoyed those easy days when I allowed everyone to pass me. I’m not a big fan of planning rest days and exertion days, I’m happier just listening to my body… when you feel tired on the bike forgive yourself and tootle along, when you feel good put in the extra effort or additional miles…. simple. I was also lucky to not sustain any injuries along the way, at that point get off the bike and heal. I will confess though that over the holiday I spent nearly three weeks completely off the bike and it was sort of nice.

Steve O
    Participant

I often make a quick run to the coffee shop or the grocery as my only ride for a particular day. Call it sleaze if you like, but as long as you are out there on the bike, it counts.

Greenbelt
    Participant

@Dickie 75158 wrote:

I decided last year to ride everyday during the NBC, and then extended it to the end of the year. I found that my body adjusted pretty well and I was less fatigued then I expected. I did however increase my sleeping, became far my diligent about proper nutrition and hydration, and really enjoyed those easy days when I allowed everyone to pass me. I’m not a big fan of planning rest days and exertion days, I’m happier just listening to my body… when you feel tired on the bike forgive yourself and tootle along, when you feel good put in the extra effort or additional miles…. simple. I was also lucky to not sustain any injuries along the way, at that point get off the bike and heal. I will confess though that over the holiday I spent nearly three weeks completely off the bike and it was sort of nice.

One of the reasons I wanted to be a slacker this year was precisely because I didn’t want to push myself too hard this winter. I’ve broken “the streak” and taken Metro occasionally on the commute. I still like to ride at least a little every day though. Only downside is that I’m gaining a bit of weight. But I feel great, health has been (fingers crossed) excellent, and I can still keep up with the young dudes when I need to, so whatever…

Steve O
    Participant

@Dickie 75158 wrote:

and tootle along,

I usually spell that “toodle.” I bet you tootle faster than I toodle!

Vicegrip
    Participant

My understanding is “rest” does not mean remain motionless. Recovery is helped by some activity which increases cellular fluid flow. Eat right sleep right and be active every day. 40 miles @ 18 mph one day then 3 @ 14 the next counts as a rest day to me. If you do it right after a while the 40 mile day becomes the rest day.

Terpfan
    Participant

Today is my rest day. But i found myself with time to burn in Chicago. Never mind that a couple of inches of snow felt, i missed riding so i hopped on a divvy for a 2.5 mile loop. They may be used to snow, but they do a horrible job plowing otherwise I would have gone further (that and i only have dress shoes). I definitely saw 3-4 cyclists pass me moving quickly and entirely making me feel like im less of a cycle commuter than these hardcore folks.

Dirt
    Participant

Rest days are important. If taking a super light day isn’t getting you enough rest, then I’d suggest that your health is more important than the challenge. Making sure you get a decent amount of sleep can also help if you’re intent on riding every day.

My mileage numbers are different, but I do make sure to take one or two rest days every week.

Riding should be fun. If any challenge is taking the fun out of riding, then it might be a good time to take a day off.

Have fun with the challenge.

Rock on!

dcv
    Participant

I think BAFS teams 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and team slackers should take more rest days

hozn
    Participant

Oh, I don’t think team slackers has a problem — at least not for my part!

Last year, it was more of a struggle, since I was intent on riding daily — and FS bled into a relatively intense year of riding for me. I remember Dickie’s post about ensuring you get rest (so you can push harder on the hard days); it made an impression. I decided to be very deliberate with my easy days and use my HRM to ensure that I did keep my heart rate below 60% of max. I found riding that easy was hard.

Greenbelt
    Participant

@Steve O 75159 wrote:

I often make a quick run to the coffee shop or the grocery as my only ride for a particular day. Call it sleaze if you like, but as long as you are out there on the bike, it counts.

I call them “neighborhood rides.” Nothing sleazy about ’em.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.