Remembering Dzhoy Zuckerman

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Remembering Dzhoy Zuckerman

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dachs6
    Participant

Their name was pronounced Joy. They were a fixture (even the WashPo got this right). They were an avid cyclist, messengering all over the city, and wonderful person. I got to know them through the BAFS2021 edition when they were on my team. The world is just a little less bright without Dzhoy, and our community is a little smaller without them. They were murdered on July 15, 2023. I wont attempt to win the mileage crown again this year (work won’t permit it and my wife would not be enthused for a repeat attack)…but every km I ride will be for Dzhoy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/07/16/dzhoy-zuckerman-bicyclist-shot-northwest-dc/

Andy
    aka Der Bierpuncheur // GRVLR ��

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30918[/ATTACH]

jctonett
    Participant

Did they ever catch the perpetrator?

Dachs6
    Participant

I don’t know. Cursory internet searches do not provide any info after the initial reports.

TOAO_MOTU
    Participant

My brother-in-law’s house is a half a block from where it happened. I was there on Saturday and saw the ghost bike. He and his wife have not heard or been told if anyone has been identified yet.

LhasaCM
    Participant

Their murder still is on the “unsolved homicide” list from the DC MPD. https://mpdc.dc.gov/node/1671096

So sad, never had the pleasure of meeting Dzhoy but looked forward every day to their Strava posts.

Muku.tbd
    Participant

I wish I was in town for this. Dzhoy is the reason I’m doing FS this year. I met Dzhoy last year when they were trying to get more miles in for FS.

Nadine
    Participant

I met Dzhoy on a ride last freezing Saddles (2023.) They were the kinda person you make friends with in the first half hour, Their story was mesmerizing – I rode most of the ride up front with them.

Periodically during the ride we’d stop at a stop sign or a red light, and Dzhoy, the youngest rider in the group, would turn around & count heads. (Dzhoy used to be a nursery school teacher. I bet they were good!)

I got to ride with them once more before they were untimely murdered. It was a Strava art ride with David Pomeroy – we drew a seahorse. Dzhoy did some trackstanding for us. I have pictures (just not sure I i remember how to share them here.) I’m still wearing a purple bow on my helmet from the memorial ride last July. They were as young as my kids! [emoji34]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.