Quincy Street Repaving – Washington Blvd to I66

Our Community Forums Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee Quincy Street Repaving – Washington Blvd to I66

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dasgeh
    Participant

Arlington is repaving Quincy near Washington-Lee. The BAC, WABA, and the Bike Element all call for a protected bike lane on this stretch (to connect the Custis Trail to Ballston). The County hasn’t presented any proposals yet, but get ready to comment!

From the County’s webpage:

Quote:
    Proposed restriping options will include:

– Crosswalk improvements to increase the safety of people walking, including addressing identified crash trends at 10th Street N
    Improved on-street bike facilities to enhance the safety of people biking and driving, north-south connections, regional trail access and access to schools
    Consolidated bus stops to improve efficiency of transit service and enhance pedestrian safety
    This project complements previously completed work to create a safer corridor along N Quincy Street.
    [Quote]

The County will hold an open house at Washington-Lee High School on Wednesday, June 5 from 6 pm – 7:30pm (my birthday!). After that, there will be an online survey and County staff will take feedback at Courthouse Farmers Market; Saturday, June 8 from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm & Central Library; Wednesday, June 13 from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm

Detials: https://projects.arlingtonva.us/projects/ballston-cherrydale-safety-improvements/

accordioneur
    Participant

I agree that Quincy could use a PBL from Custis into Ballston. Interestingly, the county’s repaving plan (the page to which your post links) omits Washington Blvd. to Fairfax Dr., which is a critical part of the Custis to Ballston link.

Kolohe
    Participant

The absolute minimum is to take advantage of the fact that 3 corners of the Quincy/Washington Blvd intersection are public land, so it should be completely unnecessary for the bike lane to end right at that spot. Which is the case now.

dasgeh
    Participant

@Kolohe 190982 wrote:

The absolute minimum is to take advantage of the fact that 3 corners of the Quincy/Washington Blvd intersection are public land, so it should be completely unnecessary for the bike lane to end right at that spot. Which is the case now.

Repaving doesn’t usually touch the curbs, so I doubt it’s likely we’ll get any change to the roadbed. Also, I’d be shocked if Arlington gave up school land for streets.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.