Potentially Sad News

Our Community Forums General Discussion Potentially Sad News

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    bobco85
    Participant

Hi all, I want to let you know that I will be leaving in a few weeks to live in the “other Washington.” My last full day as a Virginia resident will be Sunday, September 10, before I fly out to live in Tukwila, WA, so I hope to see y’all at some point before then (my last day at work is this Thursday, so I will definitely be coming to more coffee clubs starting next week). This does not mean I will stop visiting this forum, but it might be a little less often.

Now, my parents and brother’s family live in the area, so I will be leaving one of my bikes behind for use when I come back to visit (this also means I will be buying a new bike in Seattle!), so I hope to go riding with folks when I occasionally return (I’ll give a heads up beforehand).

I’m focused right now on getting the things in my apartment ready for move (my U-Haul U-Box reservation is Monday, August 28), but between August 29-September 10 I will be completely free and ready to do lots of biking. I hope to ride with y’all before I go!

*By the way, this means that you will never see my City Bike (used for year-round all-weather commuting, Midnight Saddles rides, and hauling a trailer for transporting snow shovels, brooms, cat supplies, etc.) again once I load it into the U-Box on Monday, August 28, so give it a nice hug (it got nice and clean at the bike wash) if you see me on the trails this week.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

On a not-so-sad note, I was just in Seattle and drove through the Renton/Tukwila area and saw a shit-ton of people on bikes and some potentially awesome MUPs. Also, it was like 80 degrees with no humidity…Oh, and the LINK is awesome.

drevil
    Participant

Why “Potentially”?

I’m glad I met you and got to ride with you at least a few times, especially on your history rides. I lead mountain bike rides, which are generally easy to set up and go. Your history rides are on a completely different level, with all the preride prep and obvious hard work that goes into them. I know many others appreciated them.

Not “potentially”; it’s just sad that you’re leaving us :) Best of luck on the west coast!

jrenaut
    Participant

First stop in Seattle should be Fremont Brewing, just off the Burke-Gilman trail (Seattle’s W&OD, basically). Enjoy, Seattle is awesome. It’s on the short list of places I’d live if I didn’t live here.

KWL
    Participant

And now you can plan on doing the STP ride next year. I hope to see you at CCCC and WTFCC before you leave.

bobco85
    Participant

Seattle is one of those places that upon visiting, I immediately thought to myself, “I could live here,” so I knew I had to go live there someday. I’ve been way too distracted and stressed to check out Seattle’s cycling community, but in the coming weeks I think I will look into it.

I’ve ridden on the Burke-Gilman Trail before (it was awesome), so I look forward to riding on it again. I’m already thinking of new rides to do when there including a Let’s Bike the Light Rail and a full loop around Lake Washington. The Seattle to Portland ride looks intimidating yet intriguing, so I may just sign up for that next year.

The potentially sad part is that I will be sad to leave everyone (I’ll miss y’all), but I am really excited to continue the adventure that is my life in a new part of the country (I’ve never lived outside Virginia before) that of course will include seeing everyone when I come back for visits.

Dewey
    Participant

@bobco85 164371 wrote:

This does not mean I will stop visiting this forum, but it might be a little less often…I will be buying a new bike in Seattle!

Best of luck with your move. In the interim before you buy a new bike if you decide to try out one of Seattle’s dock-less bikeshare bikes please post what you thought of your experience on this forum, I’d be interested to read some first hand opinions.

KWL
    Participant

As a coast-switcher myself I understand the stress of relocating and being all the way across the country from family. Enjoy the PNW. I long for it often. – Ken

Sunyata
    Participant

This is an exciting time! I am really happy that you will get to have new experiences, meet new people, and video an entire different coast!

But yes, this is very sad for us. Hopefully I will get a chance to catch up and see you before you head out. Perhaps a special happy hour in your honour? :D I have been wanting to check out the new Heritage Brewing in Clarendon.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@Sunyata 164401 wrote:

This is an exciting time! I am really happy that you will get to have new experiences, meet new people, and video an entire different coast!

But yes, this is very sad for us. Hopefully I will get a chance to catch up and see you before you head out. Perhaps a special happy hour in your honour? :D I have been wanting to check out the new Heritage Brewing in Clarendon.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?12236-Farewell-BPAC-Happy-Hour-for-Bob-Svercl-and-Carrie-Sanders-August-24th

Steve O
    Participant

@bobco85 164382 wrote:

… that of course will include seeing everyone when I come back for visits.

Or when we show up in Seattle

AFHokie
    Participant

@Steve O 164423 wrote:

Or when we show up in Seattle

Bobco,
    I’ll be in Seattle for work Sep 10-12…

Will you have your bike unpacked by then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

bobco85
    Participant

Wow, my studio apartment is gonna fill up really fast!

@AFHokie
    , I’ll be flying in Sept. 11 but won’t arrive until late evening. Then, since the leasing office will already be closed, I will spend a night in a hotel near my apartment before entering my apartment on Sept. 12. My U-Box will also be arriving that day, so I don’t know if I’ll be able to unpack the bike until late in the day, plus I need to get supplies (groceries and cat supplies). If you’re still in town on the evening of Sept. 12, I’m totally in!

KWL
    Participant

So how is your cat getting there? In cabin?

Emm
    Participant

@KWL 164436 wrote:

So how is your cat getting there? In cabin?

Cats can totally fly with you in the cabin as long as you get a carrier that fits under the seat. You do have to take them out of their carrier and carry them through the TSA checkpoint, which can lead to people giving you awkward looks. Not that I have experience with this or anything :-/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.