Pointless Prize Thread 2023

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize Thread 2023

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Serdar
    Participant

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Pointless Prize Thread 2023!

For the first-year participants who wonder what Pointless Prizes are, I am happy to share that Pointless Prizes (AKA Reindeer Games) are entertaining activities the Freezing Saddlers enjoy in and out of a saddle. Below are the answers to some questions you might have.

Question
    Who can participate in Pointless Prizes?
    Answer
    Any participant of the Freezing Saddles 2023 can participate in Pointless Prizes.

Question
    Who can sponsor a Pointless Prize?
    Answer
    Anyone can sponsor a prize. In addition, participants and non-participants of the Freezing Saddles 2023 can sponsor a prize.

Question
    What are Pointless Prizes about?
    Answer
    Pointless Prizes can be about anything! They can range from serious topics like Immigrant Heritage to fun ones like Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt. What unites all topics is that every pointless prize is educational. So rest assured that you will learn, share your knowledge, and have fun by playing along.

Check out last year’s thread to see examples.

On this thread, I will keep a list of the Pointless Prizes 2023. If you have an idea for a game and need some help posting it, please feel free to direct message me on this forum. I will be happy to help you post a new thread.

As for now, we have only one Pointless Prize announced, and I am thankful to Jessica for being a leader. Please, see her pointless prize below and sponsor yours.

Prize Name (Sponsor) – Description #Hashtag

1) Socks fs 2023 (Jessica Hirschhorn) – post photos of your socks #socks

2) Meh-diocrity (SteveO) – the team and individual who end up exactly in the middle of the standings

3) The Taco Ride (Robbie Rob) – ride to as many taco eateries as you can #thetacoride

4) Tandem (NoVaNoobGA and shirag) – most tandem rides #tandem

5) Extra Mile (epilsk) – the most compelling stories of how they overcame challenges to get their daily mile(s) recorded – no hashtag, participants post their entries in this thread

6) Singlespeed (jlamb) – most singlespeed rides #singlespeed

7) 2023 Photo Scavenger Hunt (Janet and Serdar) – on your ride, find the requested item(s), and post photos on this forum and your Strava feed #scavhunt

8) Bicycle Bingo (bigredboiler) – ride your bike and play Bingo #Bingo

9) Ross Hill Loop (randomduck) – the most laps of the Ross Hill Loop segment in Rock Creek Park #rosshillloop

10) Expand your horizons (420) (AlanA) – find one of the cannabis dispensaries on your bike ride and take a picture of it #420

11) PublicArtFinder (Boomer2U) – RIDE your bike AT LEAST 10 MILES and share the discovery of any art form #publicartfinder

12) Old Georgetown Bike Lane (Jessica Hirschhorn) – ride some or all part from Cedar Lane to Pike & Rose in Bethesda #oldGeorge

13) Biathlon (lordofthemark) – ride your bike to a WINTER sport #biathlon

14) Top 3 Women Riders based on BAFS miles (Fast Friendly Guy)

15) Stupid Silly Bike Tricks (Judd) – for the best Stupid Silly Bike Trick

16) Vehicle ABCs (bikingjenn) – find and photograph the vehicles WHILE on a bike ride #abc

17) Feeding Saddles (rumipumi) – donate any amount to the Capital Area Food Bank #FeedingSaddlesTeam (followed by the number of your team. please, see the designated forum thread for the hashtag of your team)

18) FS First Time Riders (Kbikeva) – Ride your bike outside at least 5 miles every day from February 1 to the end of Freezing Saddles #FirstTimeFS

Thanks,
    Serdar

Steve O
    Participant

Hi Serdar,
    Thanks for organizing the PPs again this year.

I will again host the Meh-diocrity awards. These go to the team and individual who end up exactly in the middle of the standings. The Meh-est of them all!!

Steve O

lordofthemark
    Participant

@Steve O 221075 wrote:

Hi Serdar,

I will again host the Meh-diocrity awards. These go to the team and individual who end up exactly in the middle of the standings. The Meh-est of them all!!

Steve O

As Serdar wisely says, pointless prizes are EDUCATIONAL. In the interest of education, I give you this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meh#Origin

NoVaNoobGA
    Participant

Shira and I are co-sponsoring a tandem pointless prize. Tag your tandem rides with #tandem and we’ll award a prize to whoever has done the most tandem rides. Photos of tandems on strava or on this thread are great but aren’t required.
    We’ll award bonus points if you ride a tandem with a blind or visually impaired stoker (tag #tandemVI), or a partner age 15 or under (#tandemchild). We’ll post information about rides that the Metro Washington Association of Blind Athletes (MWABA), the Tuesday Night Tandems, or Fairfax Squirrel Dodgers are organizing on this thread. If you let us know, we can potentially connect you with someone who wants to ride. This is also a way to ride a tandem if you don’t own one! Let us know if you have any questions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29173[/ATTACH]

photo credit Dirt Bicycle Components

Robbie Rob
    Participant

The Taco Ride
    Leon and I are co-sponsoring The Taco Ride pointless prize. Of course you know there are lots of taco places in the DMV area. And there is no better way re-energize during a ride or end a long ride with some tacos! For this pointless prize simply ride your bike at least 5 miles round trip and snap a pic of your bike in front of the establishment, along with a pic of your meal. A BONUS POINT WILL BE GIVEN FOR A VEGAN OR VEGGIE TACO!

The Rules:
    1. Daily postings are required;
    2. Only one visit to a chain will be accepted; but visiting any restaurant/carryout in the DMV area is
    allowed;
    3. Visiting more than one taco eatery per day is allowed, as long as they are different eateries;
    4. Any restaurant/carryout that sells tacos is allowed;
    5. Please include two pics in your post — bike in front of establishment and a pic of your meal;
    6. Include the location of your eatery in your post so that others may find it too;
    7. Entries will be judged on the most points accumulated for tacos eateries visited along with any bonus
    points for vegan/veggie tacos;
    8. In the event of a tie, the least amount of miles wins;
    9. Repeat locations not allowed;
    10. Please use hashtag #thetacoride in all your Strava ride post titles.

The Prize:
    1st prize is a gift card for ????

Now go out and find some yummy tacos!!!

Serdar
    Participant

Steve, thank you for sponsoring this prize. Can you please create a new thread for it?

Serdar
    Participant

@Steve O 221075 wrote:

Hi Serdar,

Steve O

Steve, thank you for sponsoring this prize. Can you please create a new thread for it?

Serdar
    Participant

@Robbie Rob 221115 wrote:

The Taco Ride
    Leon and I are co-sponsoring The Taco Ride pointless prize. Of course you know there are lots of taco places in the DMV area. And there is no better way re-energize during a ride or end a long ride with some tacos! For this pointless prize simply ride your bike at least 5 miles round trip and snap a pic of your bike in front of the establishment, along with a pic of your meal. A BONUS POINT WILL BE GIVEN FOR A VEGAN OR VEGGIE TACO!

The Rules:
    1. Daily postings are required;
    2. Only one visit to a chain will be accepted; but visiting any restaurant/carryout in the DMV area is
    allowed;
    3. Visiting more than one taco eatery per day is allowed, as long as they are different eateries;
    4. Any restaurant/carryout that sells tacos is allowed;
    5. Please include two pics in your post — bike in front of establishment and a pic of your meal;
    6. Include the location of your eatery in your post so that others may find it too;
    7. Entries will be judged on the most points accumulated for tacos eateries visited along with any bonus
    points for vegan/veggie tacos;
    8. In the event of a tie, the least amount of miles wins;
    9. Repeat locations not allowed;
    10. Please use hashtag #thetacoride in all your Strava ride post titles.

The Prize:
    1st prize is a gift card for ????

Now go out and find some yummy tacos!!!

This one is going to be a great pointless prize, Robbie. Thank you for the idea and for sponsoring it!

elizsnyder
    Participant

alright!! We are IN for Roanoke-based FS2023 tandem rides! [ATTACH=CONFIG]29174[/ATTACH]

elizsnyder
    Participant

Alright!! We are IN for Roanoke-based FS2023 tandem rides! [ATTACH=CONFIG]29174[/ATTACH]

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@Serdar 221053 wrote:

Question
    Who can participate in Pointless Prizes?
    Answer
    Any participant of the Freezing Saddles 2023 can participate in Pointless Prizes.

Just to clarify, Friends of BAFS are considered “participants” for purposes of Pointless Prizes, even though their points for the main competition are not tallied. Of course, any sponsor of a Pointless Prize can limit it to only those registered for the competition if they want to.

AlanA
    Participant

@elizsnyder 221231 wrote:

Alright!! We are IN for Roanoke-based FS2023 tandem rides! [ATTACH=CONFIG]29174[/ATTACH]

I thought Roanoke was in VA and not IN!!

bigredboiler
    Participant

Serdar and all,

I have a new Pointless Prize for 2023…..Bicycle Bingo.
    Here is a link to the thread for more details if you want to play.

Kris

consularrider
    Participant

@AlanA 221238 wrote:

I thought Roanoke was in VA and not IN!!

I actually drove through Roanoke, IN during 1977 when I was working in Ft Wayne and commuting to Bloomington for weekends. I think that was where my then brother-in-law was working with someone who was trying to perfect a glass infused paper bag.

elizsnyder
    Participant

bahahaha AlanA…you had me going there for a moment. Sincerely, Stoker Extraordinaire in Roanoke (….virginia….) and we are still “IN” on the tandem pointless prize throwdown, starting with New Years Day tandem to brunch at my sister’s house IN Roanoke (…virginia….)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.