Pointless Prize: Singlespeed

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize: Singlespeed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    jlamb
    Participant

Riding singlespeed fell out of fashion years ago, but I still enjoy it. Does anyone else? Let’s find out with a singlespeed pointless prize.

Rules:
    1. Tag your singlespeed rides with #singlespeed.
    2. One mile minimum, one ride per day.
    3. Both freewheel and fixed gear count.
    4. No singlespeed bike? Complete a ride without shifting, and it counts. But be warned–it’s nearly impossible to resist the urge to shift when it’s available.
    5. Most singlespeed rides wins. If number of rides is tied, most miles is the tiebreaker.
    6. Post your tales of gear-mashing glory to this thread (optional). Photos encouraged.

Prizes:

1. First place shall be awarded a crisp one dollar bill. You can frame it like a first-dollar-earned memento. Or spend it at the dollar store. Your choice.

2.Second place shall be awarded a custom-made singlespeed necklace, consisting of an old cog and a piece of string.

3. Third place shall be awarded a shiny penny. Or maybe a not-so-shiny one, depending on what I can find around the house.

Leaderboard: https://freezingsaddles.org/pointless/hashtag/singlespeed

Sunyata
    Participant

@jlamb 221255 wrote:

Riding singlespeed fell out of fashion years ago

Wait. What? When did that happen? No one told me about that!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29176[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29177[/ATTACH]

Meh
    Participant

All my Hains Points rides can now double up!

jlamb
    Participant

Singlespeed ain’t dead!?![ATTACH=CONFIG]29179[/ATTACH]

AlanA
    Participant

@jlamb 221255 wrote:

Riding singlespeed fell out of fashion years ago, but I still enjoy it. Does anyone else? Let’s find out with a singlespeed pointless prize.

Rules:
    1. Tag your singlespeed rides with #singlespeed.
    2. One mile minimum, one ride per day.
    3. Both freewheel and fixed gear count.
    4. No singlespeed bike? Complete a ride without shifting, and it counts. But be warned–it’s nearly impossible to resist the urge to shift when it’s available.
    5. Most singlespeed rides wins. We’re not counting mileage, just number of rides.
    6. Post your tales of gear-mashing glory to this thread (optional). Photos encouraged.

Prizes:

1. First place shall be awarded a crisp one dollar bill. You can frame it like a first-dollar-earned memento. Or spend it at the dollar store. Your choice.

2.Second place shall be awarded a custom-made singlespeed necklace, consisting of an old cog and a piece of string.

3. Third place shall be awarded a shiny penny. Or maybe a not-so-shiny one, depending on what I can find around the house.

I have to like this just for those awesome prizes!! Sadly, I always do as many gears as I can!

Meh
    Participant

@AlanA 221263 wrote:

I have to like this just for those awesome prizes!! Sadly, I always do as many gears as I can!

You can have as many gears as you like, just get more frames :D :D

Steve O
    Participant

I’m in, although I feel a tiny smugness about single speeds that do not coast (aka fixed). #fixie as a subcategory?
    Perhaps $0.98 as a prize (the fixed value of $1.00 on Jan 1 as of March 19)

jlamb
    Participant

You’ll have to be content with your private smugness. Singlespeed and fixed are lumped together. Most of my singlespeed experience is limited to mtb, where riding fixed is nuts. Although I talked to a bike mechanic at The Bike Lane who sweared by fixed gear on the Laurel Hill trails. I’m not that hard core.

Judd
    Participant

Enjoying this contest already. I got out of the habit of riding the single speed last year because of some neck issues. Been having fun riding it again the past two days.

jlamb
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29313
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29314

Extremely aggressive. Apex predator. Built for speed and strength. If a musky rode a bike, it would be a singlespeed.

pedrocz
    Participant

Some light grocery shopping on my mid-sixties Rickert fixed gear bike.

bmillah
    Participant

Oh man, I love this idea. Big thanks to Alan Adams for flagging this for me. Didn’t see in the PP Dropdown.

I’ve got this amazing SS with 650b’s that glide so effortlessly and take on all the small little trails that connect the neighborhoods and have an absolute blast on this bike. Will upload some photos next ride.

jlamb
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29429[/ATTACH]

My favorite singlespeed spot. All the people riding full squish geared bikes on the trail today are missing out. Fully rigid singlespeed is just more fun here.

Meh
    Participant

@bmillah 221805 wrote:

Oh man, I love this idea. Big thanks to Alan Adams for flagging this for me. Didn’t see in the PP Dropdown.

I’ve got this amazing SS with 650b’s that glide so effortlessly and take on all the small little trails that connect the neighborhoods and have an absolute blast on this bike. Will upload some photos next ride.

This is exactly what I use my Kona for – 26″ of course.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29455[/ATTACH]

Judd
    Participant

Looks sweet. What does the little flywheel thing do? I haven’t seen one on a single speed before.

@Meh 221919 wrote:

This is exactly what I use my Kona for – 26″ of course.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29455[/ATTACH]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.