Phoenix Bikes on WJLA ABC 7

Our Community Forums General Discussion Phoenix Bikes on WJLA ABC 7

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Henry
    Keymaster

In the shameless self-promotion category, Arlington’s Phoenix Bikes was yesterday’s featured nonprofit organization on WJLA’s weekly Harris’ Heroes segment. Enjoy. Henry

dasgeh
    Participant

@Henry 91032 wrote:

In the shameless self-promotion category, Arlington’s Phoenix Bikes was yesterday’s featured nonprofit organization on WJLA’s weekly Harris’ Heroes segment. Enjoy. Henry

This is great! I love seeing local news highlight the positive. Thank you for all you do, Henry, to make our community a better place.

KLizotte
    Participant

+1

elbows
    Participant

Out of curiousity, what is Phoenix Bike’s need for bikes like at the moment? My condo bike room is full of bikes that are never ridden. I wonder about trying to coordinate a drive. I see on the website that the below is true.

Unfortunately, we don’t currently have a way to pick up donated bikes. However, if you have a group of bikes to donate (condominiums, churches, community bike drives, etc.), or regularly have bikes (bike shops, police departments, etc.), it may be possible for us to coordinate a volunteer pick-up. Contact us with details or questions if you have a bunch of bikes!

americancyclo
    Participant

Where’s Steve O? instead of moving someone by bike, why don’t we donate bikes by bike?

Henry
    Keymaster

@elbows 91057 wrote:

Out of curiousity, what is Phoenix Bike’s need for bikes like at the moment? My condo bike room is full of bikes that are never ridden. I wonder about trying to coordinate a drive. I see on the website that the below is true.

Unfortunately, we don’t currently have a way to pick up donated bikes. However, if you have a group of bikes to donate (condominiums, churches, community bike drives, etc.), or regularly have bikes (bike shops, police departments, etc.), it may be possible for us to coordinate a volunteer pick-up. Contact us with details or questions if you have a bunch of bikes!

That website text is a little dated. We do arrange for bulk (10+ bikes) pickups on a regular basis. It usually takes a few weeks to tag the bikes and sort the truly abandoned from the merely neglected bikes. If you start now, I suspect we can get them in Sept/Oct.

Steve O
    Participant

@americancyclo 91060 wrote:

Where’s Steve O? instead of moving someone by bike, why don’t we donate bikes by bike?

That is a great idea!!

Back when I was in college I took a bike maintenance course (yes, for credit!). 3 hours, one night per week. After we had learned all the skills on our own bikes we were instructed to bring in our friends’ bikes to work on. So I would carry their bike on my shoulder while riding my bike to class. So it can be done.

Henry
    Keymaster

@Steve O 91148 wrote:

That is a great idea!!

Back when I was in college I took a bike maintenance course (yes, for credit!). 3 hours, one night per week. After we had learned all the skills on our own bikes we were instructed to bring in our friends’ bikes to work on. So I would carry their bike on my shoulder while riding my bike to class. So it can be done.

You mean like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6292[/ATTACH]

Steve O
    Participant

@Henry 91149 wrote:

You mean like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6292[/ATTACH]

No, with the wheels on. Honestly, although I clearly remember doing it, I can hardly imagine how it’s possible.

mattotoole
    Participant

Henry,

Glad I checked the forum today. Congrats, and big thanks to you (and all the Phoenix kids) for what you do!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.