Pentagon Metro to Jefferson Memoral, about 7:15 AM

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2013 Pentagon Metro to Jefferson Memoral, about 7:15 AM

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    KLizotte
    Participant

I’d rather they decreased the width of the park to put in truly protected bike lanes; right now the plans only indicate sharrows (with on street parking).

Also, I don’t understand why Crystal Drive is a four lane road (2 lanes each direction). That road doesn’t get that enough traffic to warrant so much asphalt and it makes it ped/cycle unfriendly. Perhaps they are planning on removing a lane or two in case the street car ever arrives.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

The bus rapid transit system is supposed to start up next spring. Only part of the route will have dedicated lanes. I don’t remember if that includes Crystal Drive or not. The BRT would eventually be replaced by the streetcar several years later.

It seems like Crystal Drive used to be even wider, or not. All of the restaurants between 20th and 23rd Streets were added about a decade ago, I think. None of those smaller structures were there before. Did they remove a traffic lane to add the restaurants? I never walked (or rode) around there much before the neighborhood changed (for the better). I remember thinking that back then, there was very little reason to visit that area, when it was just offices and a couple residential buildings. The road was also one-way. It was designed to be a circulator route, combined with the Clark St. overpasses. Terrible design, but at least they have been changing it. By the end of the year, most of Crystal Drive will be two-way. Eventually, even the southern end, near Rte. 1, will also be two-way, partly to accommodate the BRT and streetcar projects.

FYI – Eads Street is supposed to be repaved and the bike lanes will be extended north to cover most (or all) of the road. Currently there are bike lanes only on the southern section.

lordofthemark
    Participant

Made it back the Pentagon myself, completing the bike commute day.

1. Riding UP the ramp from the parking garage is not my favorite way to start my ride home.
    2. The parking folks at USDOT nicely put a BTWD parking permit on my bike for me – I will have to find out the standard procedure for parking.
    3. The I Street bike lane was fenced off for construction westbound.
    4. I was pleased to note that at 7th and Maine I, of all people, was riding more VC style than some other cyclists (taking the center lane to cross to Water, while someone else was in the right turn lane, even though he was clearly proceeding through to Water) and that someone was drafting me for several blocks.
    5. I still dislike riding on the Pentagon Reservation, but will have to get used to that

But all was justified by the satisfaction of completing the day.

KLizotte
    Participant

@lordofthemark 52659 wrote:

Made it back the Pentagon myself, completing the bike commute day.

1. Riding UP the ramp from the parking garage is not my favorite way to start my ride home.
    2. The parking folks at USDOT nicely put a BTWD parking permit on my bike for me – I will have to find out the standard procedure for parking.
    3. The I Street bike lane was fenced off for construction westbound.
    4. I was pleased to note that at 7th and Maine I, of all people, was riding more VC style than some other cyclists (taking the center lane to cross to Water, while someone else was in the right turn lane, even though he was clearly proceeding through to Water) and that someone was drafting me for several blocks.
    5. I still dislike riding on the Pentagon Reservation, but will have to get used to that

But all was justified by the satisfaction of completing the day.

I presume you work at DOT HQ. I did a detail there last summer and was told I could park anywhere in the garage at a rack (you have to show your ID before entering the garage of course). The hardest part for me was finding my bike at the end of the day since there are numerous entrances to the garage. I never bothered getting a permit because not long after starting my detail I sustained an injury that kept me from riding for the rest of the summer. I’ve been told by long time commuters that there are bikes parked there that haven’t moved in years so I don’t think anyone keeps tabs on the bikes in the garage.

I found a number of back road routes to DOT so I could stay off the main roads most of the way coming from Pentagon City. I’m not a morning person so I was arriving at the height of rush hour and wanted to avoid the worst.

Too bad you live so far away from work.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@KLizotte 52674 wrote:

Too bad you live so far away from work.

Working on that ;)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.