Papillon’s Casual Coffee Ride- Caboose Edition

Our Community Forums Group Rides Papillon’s Casual Coffee Ride- Caboose Edition

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Starduster
    Participant

Behold a nice mellow way to start the Memorial Day weekend- Papillon’s Casual Coffee Ride- Caboose Edition. For those new to us, it is an easy ride from the shop through bike-friendly neighborhood streets to Four Mile Run and the W&OD Trail, upstream to the outskirts of Falls Church, with a stop for coffee and/or treats along the way (we have visited South Block for juices and The Italian Store for espresso, as examples), and then back. Most days, this is about a 10-11 mile journey at easy pace, and we try to moderate the hills as best we can. It is ideal for anyone new to cycling, or new to riding in groups, or just simply wants to cruise. A fast road bike will not be needed- your ride leader just might bring an urban grocery-getter himself.

Caboose, you ask? The W&OD Trail’s Buemont caboose will be open for the season when we ride back. Inside is a “HO Scale” (pun intended) museum that highlights the trail’s railroad past and bike path present.

Meet at the shop at 10:30am, Saturday, May 25. We will try to roll out within 15 minutes of that. Bring yourself, a bike, and a helmet, please.

Bonus- last year, we did not have a pie shop next door to us. Now we do. That’s reason to return…

Now I know this may seem boring for some of the serious riders here, but… there *is* a place for an “entry level” ride, one that grows riders that someday might want to take on your more ambitious rides. Someone has to. That was Brian Crowe’s reasoning when he started these rides, and one I am carrying on.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/papillons-casual-coffee-ride-caboose-edition-tickets-62184234720

Judd
    Participant

How often do you do these? I’m volunteering at a bike rodeo Saturday morning but I’m a big fan of riding casually and drinking coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChristoB50
    Participant

Grrr… my alternate-Saturdays volunteering gets in the way of so many other fun Saturday things! And this one right in my neighborhood, too :(
    Enjoy — I sure enjoyed my inaugural visit to Acme Pie!

Starduster
    Participant

@Judd 190943 wrote:

How often do you do these? I’m volunteering at a bike rodeo Saturday morning but I’m a big fan of riding casually and drinking coffee.

Judd, we’re trying to do a Papillon Ride of some sort most Saturday mornings. I try to do a Casual Coffee Ride every other Saturday, and throw other destinations in as well (like Old Town). Of special note later in the year are *two* Monuments At Night Rides. (Stolen with gratitude from Revolution Cycles- their rides are what encouraged a onetime Bicycle Exchange employee to return to the bike business).

However, the next couple of weeks are a dilemma for me- Saturday, I am committed to the Armed Forces Challenge Ride. They switched things up and are running this on a Saturday (So much for a Ride To The Races.) And on the 15th, there is the WABA Sweet Ride, in the same morning slot, which I can’t really compete with…

But stay tuned.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.