PAL Banner Ideas

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Annmarie
    Participant

Hey all-
    You have probably seen the PAL trailer around Arlington- and you have seen the messages ” PALS don’t text and drive” ect.
    WELL- some exciting news- we are getting a new style of trailers, which means we need some new- or not so new messages for these banners. Does anyone have any great ideas? SPANISH LANGUAGE MESSAGES especially appreciated.
    Your arlington PAL ambassador,
    Annmarie

dasgeh
    Participant

Drive or walk or bike
    Manejar o caminar o bicicleta

However you get there
    Como lo dices

Look out for each other
    Todos llegaremos allĂ­ seguros

[Full disclosure: my Spanish sucks and I had to ask Google for help.]

bentbike33
    Participant

@dasgeh 148363 wrote:

[Full disclosure: my Spanish sucks and I had to ask Google for help.]

Best to run it by a native speaker. You wouldn’t want to accidentally impugn anyone’s gender identity or something.

After all, the Chevy Nova sold terribly in Latin America.

DrP
    Participant

@bentbike33 148368 wrote:

Best to run it by a native speaker.

Especially since “Como lo dices” is more like “However you [familiar you] say it” and you probably want more of “how you travel” (“Como lo viaja”). And manejar vs conducir will depend a bit on where the folks are from (as, in fact, the word for car itself changes depending on where you are). (Note: My Spanish is rusty, except for ordering food and site seeing.)

dasgeh
    Participant

@DrP 148371 wrote:

Especially since “Como lo dices” is more like “However you [familiar you] say it”

Actually, that one I know, and that’s what I meant — the last two were not translations of each other.

However you travel
    However you say it (but in Spanish)

Look out for each other
    And we’ll all get there safely (but in Spanish)

VA2DC
    Participant

@bentbike33 148368 wrote:

Best to run it by a native speaker. You wouldn’t want to accidentally impugn anyone’s gender identity or something.

After all, the Chevy Nova sold terribly in Latin America.

Good sentiment, bad example: http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

bentbike33
    Participant

@VA2DC 148381 wrote:

Good sentiment, bad example: http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Busted.

Are you this much fun at CCs and HHs, too?

DrP
    Participant

@dasgeh 148373 wrote:

Actually, that one I know, and that’s what I meant — the last two were not translations of each other.

However you travel
    However you say it (but in Spanish)

Look out for each other
    And we’ll all get there safely (but in Spanish)

Ah, well, if they weren’t supposed to be translations, then that is different. I would still check with someone on the use of manejar. I know that I was taught Spanish that is used in Spain and there, it would be conducir, so I found that line very odd. I know that different Latin American countries have different usage and manejar is used in some places, some use both but there is a subtle distinction in usage. Although I think both are typically understood. If different phrases are used, they would need different checks (e.g., using “car” in one will need something that is at least recognized by most since it varies more).

Steve O
    Participant

Call Edgar

dasgeh
    Participant

@DrP 148391 wrote:

Ah, well, if they weren’t supposed to be translations, then that is different. I would still check with someone on the use of manejar. I know that I was taught Spanish that is used in Spain and there, it would be conducir, so I found that line very odd. I know that different Latin American countries have different usage and manejar is used in some places, some use both but there is a subtle distinction in usage. Although I think both are typically understood. If different phrases are used, they would need different checks (e.g., using “car” in one will need something that is at least recognized by most since it varies more).

My daughter is in a bilingual school… but is only in K. Anyway, I have lots of avenues for help, even if they don’t ride on the back of my bike every morning.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.