Organic Transit Electric Tricycle Daily Commuter on the W&OD

Our Community Forums General Discussion Organic Transit Electric Tricycle Daily Commuter on the W&OD

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    dkel
    Participant

@jrenaut 183695 wrote:

It pulls over until the owner reads aloud EVERY SINGLE POST about it on this forum.

Aloud. In Shakespearean fashion.

hozn
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 183691 wrote:

The website for the Elf says, So it seems like the answer is actually somewhere in between what VikingMariner said and what you said.

He modified his to go faster.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@hozn 183702 wrote:

He modified his to go faster.

Which of course, means it is no longer a “bicycle” for purposes of MUPs. Federal definition of a bicycle, which is what he relies on, is “A two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.” So if it can go faster than 20 mph without pedaling, it’s no longer a bicycle.

YMMV, this is not legal advice, etc., etc.

Subby
    Participant

Stay off the trails, bozo.

sjclaeys
    Participant

@Subby 183726 wrote:

Stay off the trails, bozo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18656[/ATTACH]

dasgeh
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 183709 wrote:

Which of course, means it is no longer a “bicycle” for purposes of MUPs. Federal definition of a bicycle, which is what he relies on, is “A two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.” So if it can go faster than 20 mph without pedaling, it’s no longer a bicycle.

YMMV, this is not legal advice, etc., etc.

Not defending anyone, though the Elf on the Shelf did refer to Virginia law. VA Code 46.2-100 has the relevant definition:
    “Electric power-assisted bicycle” means a vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is equipped with (i) pedals that allow propulsion by human power and (ii) an electric motor with an input of no more than 1,000 watts that reduces the pedal effort required of the rider. For the purposes of Chapter 8 (§ 46.2-800 et seq.), an electric power-assisted bicycle shall be a vehicle when operated on a highway.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@dasgeh 183736 wrote:

Not defending anyone, though the Elf on the Shelf did refer to Virginia law. VA Code 46.2-100 has the relevant definition:
    “Electric power-assisted bicycle” means a vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is equipped with (i) pedals that allow propulsion by human power and (ii) an electric motor with an input of no more than 1,000 watts that reduces the pedal effort required of the rider. For the purposes of Chapter 8 (§ 46.2-800 et seq.), an electric power-assisted bicycle shall be a vehicle when operated on a highway.

Yep, no idea whether his modifications took it up over 1,000 watts.

dkel
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 183747 wrote:

Yep, no idea whether his modifications took it up over 1,000 watts.

I believe it was a gearing modification. If we wait long enough, I’m sure he’ll be here to brag all about it, and tell us how justified he is in doing it.

VikingMariner
    Participant

In this case, I was not trolling but yeah I’m a troll on occasion. :) I should like to point out that the gentleman/lady’s name (SolarBikeCar) pretty much sums up the reality of what at least one owner considers his own electric vehicle (EV) to be: a solar-powered bike and car, notwithstanding any protests to the contrary.

This is what I said here and on YouTube and not much more:

– Saw an EV tricycle (not a bicycle) on the W.
    – Is that legal? Asking for a friend (laughing inside still).
    – Top seed is up to 35 mph.
    – Thought it was a car at first (possibly a drunk driver as in the past).
    – Whatever, man. At least I’m on my bike.

I do like the EV. It’s pretty cool. I hear UPS and others may use a modified version for package delivery. Love EVs. Love Tesla.

The manufacturer did say during an interview on YouTube that the vehicle’s top speed is limited to 35 mph with the assist of the electric motor. I deleted and closed off comments on my YouTube channel because I didn’t want any immature and misleading comments on it for which social media is infamous; you can keep those comments right here on this thread. There was also the assumption in those two EV posters on my Youtube channel that I opposed them and their vehicles. I actually have no opinion (yet?). There was also a budding legal discussion over what constitutes a “motorized” vehicle. I am not an attorney and I did not want that amateur hour stuff on my YouTube channel. It’s very clear the vehicles have electric motors powered with solar cells and a battery, not squirrels or husky dogs, and that the tricycle (which is a vehicle) is about the size of a mini-Cooper. Ergo, it’s a motorized vehicle from a common sense standpoint.

Over the course of a few days, I thought about it more and I do have a minor concern about the size of the vehicle when the trail is crowded; it does take up a whole lane when at 20 mph (faster something that wide moves the more space I want to give it). Eh, am I gonna lose my $hit over that concern? Nope. Almost zero fuc*s given. Am I gonna eat popcorn while some of the EV owners overreact? Sure. Why not? Was my video awesome (music too)? Yep. Will I be posting more video tales from the tarmac? Yep. Every time I go out I see some really strange stuff and that’s why I will have two cameras on for every ride from now on. For those people, who like to “act a fool” while I ride (cars, buses, trains, cyclists, pedestrians, Kamikaze squirrels, Cylons), I’ll be waiting for yah. Do your thing. Hooyah. 😎

VikingMariner
    Participant

Here’s the link in case anyone missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmWZSLrgKSw

:)

JennaV
    Participant

I once skydived with a bike so when asked how fast I ride I’m totally legit saying 117mph and 0-60 in 5ish seconds.

VikingMariner
    Participant

If it’s not on Strava, it didn’t happen. :)

#geekingout

JennaV
    Participant

@dkel 183753 wrote:

I believe it was a gearing modification. If we wait long enough, I’m sure he’ll be here to brag all about it, and tell us how justified he is in doing it.

How long do I have to wait? Asking for a friend.

Lt. Dan
    Participant

So- is this thing still running around?

Judd
    Participant

@Lt. Dan 224726 wrote:

So- is this thing still running around?

Yes. Looks like his website is dead. He last posted here in 2020. Looks like he’s hauling a trailer with additional solar panels. He’s got a youtube channel with a video from a year ago if you’ve got some internet sleuthing skills.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.